Ringcentral Desktop Huge Logs

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I was just decommissioning a machine and used Windirstat to see what was taking up the most space... This image pretty much speaks for itself...  Large blue box is Ringcentral logfiles.  Location is:
 users\\username\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhone\Logs

Might check your client computers to see if there are logs taking up massive amounts of space.  This user didn't have any particular issues with the softphone app on her machine.  A cursory review of other machines hasn't shown anything strange.

Photo of Pete

Pete

• 558 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mark Engle

Mark Engle

• 256 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing, Pete. The Windows desktop application has been particularly problematic for us so we're always looking for ways to keep our systems running as smoothly as possible.
Photo of Pete

Pete

• 558 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just looked on every machine's logs in my network, and this was the only machine with one log file that huge.  It was from last year, so it may have been a bug long ago from that particular version.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The log file can indeed get pretty large. In most cases it shouldn't cause any problems, but if you need to delete it see steps below. 

Go to Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Users > pick user > Appdata > Local > RingCentral > Delete the two files.  

Photo of Justin Davis

Justin Davis

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've had this happen as well. Had someone's computer going slow and saw that their SSD was nearly full. Turns out there was a single log file taking up 60GB. A text file. I don't know how that happened. But it was nice to clear off half the drive with one file!
Photo of Chris Nase

Chris Nase

• 60 Points
This happened to me and a log file was over 200GB inside the SoftPhone directory.  Can you please go into more detail about why the log files are this large?  Certainly this is a bug correct?  When can we expect it to be resolved?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris, it's not a bug per se, but obviously 200GB is pretty large.  Our Product Team is aware that this can become an issue at a certain point. Sorry I/we don't have an immediate fix for this so for the time being, it's probably best to periodically clear the folders as described above.   Maybe at some point they can implement some sort of limit so that data is purged when it reaches a certain point. 

Mike