Archived and Closed
This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.
Business Description : Doctor's Office
The recent update to ringcentral is causing problems with faxes. We no longer have the ability to resend a fax. We started seeing faxes fail and not have the option to resend or even view the attachments. After some help from support they stated that special characters could be causing this issue (i.e. +-_?/!@#$^*( etc). I have tested this and I am not completely convinced this is the issue because some faxes complete or fail (but still have the option to resend) with special charters, while others fail and do not have the option to resend. Their solution was to rename the file and do not have any special characters. This is a viable option only if you are using the attach option on the website or application, but if you are using the print to fax option it is not. The reason for this is that the name of the document attached is the name of the document you printed. For example if you print a pdf you are viewing from a website that is named faxing_is_!@$$.pdf then the name of the attached document generated using print to fax is faxing_is_!@$$.pdf_10.tif. This is a problem since you can't seem to change the name that was generated, and since you didn't actually download the document you can't rename it before you print it. Further more the document is converted into a tif file and it adds an _ followed by a number and then a .tif (i.e. pdf_10.tif) to the file. This is adding a special character from ring-central itself. I am assuming that the number is the number of times you have attached documents while the app is open, but this is just a guess. Here is my suggestion to fix this problem.
1. Do not allow documents to be attached or generated using the print to fax option with special characters. If it is obviously going to cause issues, do not allow it.
2. Strip out all special characters when uploading the document or generating the document so it will work.
3. Find a way to include special characters in the name of the document that does not cause this issue.
I use ringcentral a great deal for faxing, but I am not going to rename the 500000 documents we have which all have special characters just to allow ringcentral to work, when with a little coding they could prevent this issue from happening. This was not an issue until 6 days ago, so now whatever new features that have been added have now broken RingCentral to a point to where I am now considering canceling my service and moving on to something else.