Desktop App: crash or blank screen

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

A couple of our computers start showing a Crash Report today.

Version 7.1.13446.541
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,130 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of bwenzlau

bwenzlau

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same crashing happening on Mac platform - version 7.1.4.13446.  
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If this keeps happening, please open a case and provide the account details Open a Case

In a few days we'll be pushing out 7.2 and will likely be able to get you a download link.  If it keeps crashing then definitely open a case. 
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,130 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
After the update keep crashing. We will open a case...
Photo of bfr

bfr

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I followed those steps and deleted the folders. The app now works for me again BUT when I tried linking it to Outlook contacts it crashed again and I had to delete the folders to launch it again.

I am using Win 8.1 and app version 7.1.4.13446 and no one else in the office has had this issue thankfully.
(Edited)
Photo of bfr

bfr

And it seems to be a specific Outlook Contacts folder that is the problem. If I connect to just the one smaller folder it doesn't seem to be an issue. As soon as I check off the larger folder the app crashes.
Photo of bfr

bfr

Version 7.1.4.13446
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,934 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Service Engineering is currently working on the 7.1 crash , but try this in the mean time.  

** if you have the old Legacy Softphone still installed on your computer - Please uninstall it completely! **

1) logout and close the app completely
 --- Even close it from running in the background (see image 1) 

2) Go to My Computer Local Disk (C:) > User > click on the PC user > App Data > Local > RingCentral > and delete both files for the Softphone & RingCentral for Windows files (See image 2). 

3) Login to new version

4) If this doesn't work then please open a web case as Mike suggested.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken Flott

Ken Flott

I am running Windows 7 and since the last update the desktop app crashes on startup everytime. 
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,914 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The engineering team is working on resolving this issue, in the mean time please download the prior version.  Then create a web case and attach the crash report to the case notes for escalation.    

Some customers are using compatibility mode for Windows 7 and it's working. 
(Edited)
Photo of Ken Flott

Ken Flott

Thank you!

There are some real good software testing platforms out there. I'd suggest using one. Some of them are free.
Photo of Doug Catiller

Doug Catiller

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RC Version 7.4.1 crashes on Windows 10.

I am running version 7.4.1.17562 of the desktop app on Windows 10 (latest updates, including November update), and it consistently crashes right after startup. 

I immediately get this message (if I click OK, the app closes):

This comes up fairly quickly after starting the app:

Here is my version info:
Photo of Doug Catiller

Doug Catiller

Does anyone from RC have any feedback on the info I've posted? Is there more that you need from me? I would like to use the desktop app more, but it is really not very stable for me right now. I am removing and reinstalling now, and will post my results.
Photo of Doug Catiller

Doug Catiller

I have re-installed, but I am still getting the message "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application.". I was able to close the dialog with the red X and keep the application running, and it seems to be OK for the moment. If I hit OK to close the dialog, the app will close. 
Photo of Chris Taschner

Chris Taschner

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Updated my users to 7.5.2 and it consistently crashes on some machines - I did about 10 upgrades and 3 or 4 are continuing to crash on start up of the application.  All Windows 7 machines with latest patches.
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

@Chris, Try to de-authorize it, completely uninstall it and re-install.  Try this on 1 of the 4 machines and see if that fixes it. Let me know... 
Photo of Chris Taschner

Chris Taschner

@Kim how do you de-authorize the computer? I went through the settings on the laptop and then logged into Ring Central as an admin and didn't see anything in there.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

That option in the Admin portal is under Phones & Devices > Ext # > Select the Softphone > to the right "Deauthorize this Computer"
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,358 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Chris,

On your RingCentral portal go to the "Phones & Devices" selection on the left of the screen. Then select the PC you have the Windows Desktop application assigned to. On the right of the screen click on "Deauthorize this Computer".

That will do it for you.
Photo of Chris Taschner

Chris Taschner

Thanks guys I see the option to do so now.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Chris - did that work? 
Photo of Tran Duong

Tran Duong

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ringcentral desktop 7.5.4.

Hi,
How can I solve it?

Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,934 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This is the troubleshooting any Desktop App error/issues. 

Troubleshooting Desktop App crashing or blank screen:  

1) Uninstall the old Legacy: If you still have it installed onto your PC.

2) Make sure you have the most current version

3) Logout & Close the new one ... also close it from running in the background.

4) Deauthorize the PC (see Image 2)

5) Go to Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Users > pick user > Appdata > Local > RingCentral > Delete the two files.  (see Image 1) 
    [If you don't see "App Data" at the top above Contacts just click on the bar above and enter in /appdata then hit enter]

6) Log back in and test.

(Image 1) 

(Image 2)

** If that doesn't work, please open a web case. **
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Taschner

Chris Taschner

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Upgrade user - Debug error.

I've recently been upgrading users to the latest RC;  many get a Debug Close program error when trying to run RC.   I've tried resolving it by uninstalling the newest version and rolling them back to a version that's worked for them before.

Any tips or advice would be great.
Photo of USA 3

USA 3

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
does this mean we can actually go back to the legacy softphone?  the one that actually worked and didn't need to be fixed?
i am still waiting for case # 
this is the last msg i received from tech support.
Synchronization of online call logs to your softphone is not support yet by the current version.I submitted your a feature request and For future reference, our internal product tracking number for this feature request is RC-46504 . If you have any further questions concerning this matter please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Company contacts are the internal Contacts from your RingCentral phone system while Personal contacts are external contacts you manually enter for your reference. Company contacts are Extensions contact details within the Ringcentral Phone system only. Personal contacts cannot be moved under the company contacts. 

Sincerely, 

RingCentral Tier 2 Support

i would like my legacy softphone back.  my motto is, if ain't broke don't fix it, and an upgrade that doesn't work with the options people were given to begin with isn't an upgrade, it is a downgrade.!

Photo of Tran Duong

Tran Duong

Hey RingCentral developers, 

When are you guys going to fix this problem.  I open a case # 04310625 and they closed it saying that this thread will help.  Well, this thread has NOT help.

I started a thread: https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/ringcentral-desktop-7-5-4  and they merged it into this thread.

Well, I guessed that the developers and the tech support team are pointing the fingers at each other to form a "RING" to say that the problem has been solved.  Can you guys get your act together and solve the problem please.  And stop sending nag window in the app to upgrade when upgrading has caused this much headache.

RINGCENTRAL, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for the frustration.  Can you tell us what version of Windows you are running and also, have you tried to to a complete clean re-install per the instructions in this thread? 

Mike 
(Edited)
Photo of Tran Duong

Tran Duong

I'm running win7 Home Premium 64-bit / 4GB RAM / Intel E6700 CPU.  One of your tech people had already had my people uninstall / reinstall it 5 times today.  

The app would start up ok, but then after the auto-login of the phone number and password, that is when it craps out.
Photo of Hugh Hui

Hugh Hui

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I am running win 10 and crash when I try to fax out.
Photo of Febe Zabala

Febe Zabala

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why my ring central desktop app is showing as ALL white? No option to click on th....

Why my ring central desktop app is showing as ALL white? No option to click on the incoming call. But I can see my app is blinking but no option to answer since I can't see any button to answer the call or even make any calls.
Photo of Febe Zabala

Febe Zabala

After deauthorized this computer, what's next? I can't even authorized back my computer. And I still have a blank screen. Nothing to show in my Ring Central App
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Once you log back into the softphone, it will automatically authorize that PC, so no action is required from you on that part. 
Photo of Febe Zabala

Febe Zabala

Thank you. Issue resolved.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Glad to hear! Thank you Febe for the update! 
Photo of Febe Zabala

Febe Zabala

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled After deauthorized this computer, what's next? I can't even authorized back my co....

After deauthorized this computer, what's next? I can't even authorized back my computer. And I still have a blank screen. Nothing to show in my Ring Central App
Photo of Chris Werner

Chris Werner

• 60 Points
I went through the steps of the "official response" posted above and the desktop app still shows up as a blank box.  I'm running windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  Any help is appreciated.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

I sent you an email with an update.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Taschner

Chris Taschner

We had no luck with this user mentioned above - posted the crash report as you can see.  Ran the suggested fixes as noted in my post.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

If that does not work, please open a web case.
Photo of Shine

Shine

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Desktop app freezes up and prevents from answering an inbound call.

My RC desktop app often freezes up and shows as "Not Responding" sometimes when an inbound call is ringing.  When this happens, I have to answer the call on my mobile app.  When I do this, the desktop app wakes up again.  Even though my laptop is set to never sleep and never hibernate, this happens when I haven't been working on my computer for a few minutes.  How can I fix this problem? 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This sounds like a memory issue perhaps.  Try deleting the app data folder as shown above in this thread.   

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.