RingCentral Meetings linux support

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Our company is heavily centered on software development, with employees across borders. RingCentral Meetings is one of the best screen sharing apps I've used in its simplicity & comprehensive feature set(sharing computer sound? awesome!)

Unfortunately, there isn't a linux client for participation. A lot of software developers use linux, and it seems like not supporting it is a huge oversight.

We'd easily have double the user count if it was supported.
Photo of Joseph Porter

Joseph Porter, Champion

• 1,100 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Evan Curry

Evan Curry

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
+1 for Linux Support.  
Photo of Holger Winkelmann

Holger Winkelmann

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How can it be if zoom has support, and RC is powered by zoom.... Was just about to book but this would break the deal.
Photo of Damian Cinich

Damian Cinich

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please we need official support for Linux. It would be just great. This shouldn't be an issue anymore.
Photo of Lisa G.

Lisa G.

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You all may be interested to know that, before Glip was acquired by RingCentral (~2 yrs ago?), Glip video chat worked flawlessly with Zoom on Linux. When RingCentral took over, many promises were made about all of the wonderful improvements coming to Glip. One of these "marvelous" improvements was that video chat suddenly stopped working, and was instead routed to a web page saying "your operating system is not supported."

This rendered my work computer suddenly unable to join our company meetings. I found that out by missing a meeting, of course. Incensed, I immediately contacted support about this... and was informed that RingCentral had deliberately disabled video chat in Linux simply because Zoom didn't have a branded version with a RingCentral logo. If Zoom would only add this, the agent reasoned (as if it were all their fault), then the system would use the branded Zoom and it would solve all my problems. I continued to bring this up to support, but it slowly became clear that they weren't going to do anything about it. I finally gave up and incurred major downtime migrating all of my data and development tools to a Mac. Now, roughly 2 years later, I am still waiting.

Be aware that, according to their own support agent, this was deliberate and not an accident. This is not some bug or new feature they need to figure out. All they need to do is stop disabling perfectly good technology for petty reasons.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Nelson

Chris Nelson

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Wow,  can it  be true?  
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 17,624 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct, 2287 Users, 3800 DID Lines, 28 sites

01-04-2018

As you have made some assumptions here, I would like to point out that this is a licensing issue, not a technical issue. When vendor 1 ( let's call them Zoom) signs over usage rights to Vendor 2 (let's call them RC) there are specific terms that allow for use of the licensed core technology including what platforms are covered and how the product ( software code) may be used. A common term is "vendor 2 can only use the versions we have granted them use of, and they can use their logo on the versions we have licensed provided our vendor 1 logo or ID is also embedded" ......

It is entirely likely that Glip had also licensed Zoom's Linux platform version of the core code, but restrictions by Zoom on license transfer did not allow automatic assumption of that licensing once Glip was acquired by RingCentral.

So my take on this is don't jump to conclusions because the technology marriage between Glip and RingCentral is not as seamless as we all expected.

Porting the code to a standard usable format for the Glip technology to work reliably in the RingCentral ecosystem has been a massive task and clearly expectations vs. results have been a visible gap on many parts of Glip integration.

They are aware of it and working on it.

It would be great if the Glip engineering team would read and participate/engage in this Community so they could update us on status of all the painpoints customers are experiencing with Glip.

If you need Linux platform features for your RingCentral products, vote for this idea, and respond with details of your Use Case and Needs. Include your account details. Be a squeaky wheel with facts. They will take that info seriously.
(Edited)
Photo of Lisa G.

Lisa G.

I've not made any assumptions, but simply relayed my experiences and what I was told by support. If this is in fact a licensing issue, then the agent should have conveyed that information instead. To me, it seems much more presumptive to avoid taking his words at face value, and instead extrapolate that he must have meant this other thing about licensing restrictions (which he did not mention) and then engage in further conjecture about what said licensing restrictions might have been in order to cause this problem.

That is, while your point about licensing is a useful one and may well be pertinent, it is not what I was told. I can only speak to the events and conversation for which I was present, and I believe that's what I have done in good faith above. Notice that all but the last three sentences are simply observational statements of events. The rest merely summarizes what I was told, and then draws the only logical conclusion based on what I was told. If anyone has inside information on this and can state as a point of fact that the support agent was misinformed, I would be interested to hear that information and learn the true nature of the problem.

It would indeed be a great improvement if the Glip team had a presence here. So often, we are hit with new breakage of features from another update they have pushed without forewarning users. But that is another topic for another day.

I think folks here have been doing a fine job of detailing their use cases and describing how the lack of Linux support is seriously hurting their businesses and/or hampering their work. They've been doing so for years, and frankly, it doesn't appear to have had much effect thus far. Nevertheless, I've added mine to the stack for consideration.
(Edited)
Photo of Simon

Simon, PM

• 722 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your feedback, Lisa. I totally understand your frustration.  

Following the acquisition, Glip switched to RingCentral Meetings for video. As you have pointed out, RingCentral Meetings doesn't support Linux yet. However, we are planning to add Linux support in 2H of 2018.  I don't have an exact date yet but Linux support is on the roadmap.

Would be great to know the number of users requiring Linux support in your enterprise -- knowing more information will help me prioritize our feature backlog. Thank you.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Simon thanks so much for coming to respond to this topic - many of us are really anxious for the Linux support --- our organization is moving heavily into Chromebooks as well  but right now we are using Meetings via computers and mobile phones 

USA-based acct | 2887 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 
Photo of Jeremiah Small

Jeremiah Small

• 524 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the welcome news, Simon. I think that you might find the total number of Linux users proportionately low, but in many organizations, they are critical team members. Lack of Linux support is a blocker for full adoption of the platform, forcing anyone who needs to communicate with Linux users to fall back on other options, such as Google Hangouts, etc. This is frustrating, because it defeats the benefit of having SSO, etc.
Photo of Jessica Taussig

Jessica Taussig, Employee

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Idea from Customer - Desktop linux support for the ring central apps and meetings....

desktop linux support
for the ring central apps and meetings program
Photo of IT Guy

IT Guy

• 60 Points
We have a need for a linux meetings client or/and browser client that works on linux.
Add my vote.
(Edited)
Photo of Hugh Phoenix-Hulme

Hugh Phoenix-Hulme

• 60 Points
Me too
Photo of Matt Hungerford

Matt Hungerford

• 62 Points
Our whole embedded team uses Linux.  We just attend meetings using the Android app, and push for the whole company to switch to a compatible solution (usually web based solution, which has happened for all our other services such as email, calendar, documents, github, etc).
Photo of Loren Owens

Loren Owens

I think the market share statement is misleading. Last report I saw Linux was approximately 3% of the total market share. This, however, isn't the percent of market share around would be Ring Central customers. I think if you were to break down the types of customers which would use Ring Central service the Linux market share would be much higher. If the target customer is small to medium business, a lot of those businesses will be software development, engineering or at least have IT folks who are running Linux. These business most likely have not increased in size to establish a corporate standard PC platform. I was really excited about switching over for some of the additional features offered by Ring Central, but just like so many other collaborative services (Join.me, Zoho, and a few others I have tried) the lack of native Linux support leaves you using a browser plugin or similar workaround that is always lacking in functionality.  I guess the one advantage I would give for pushing out Linux support is your average Linux user will need very little support, we tend to figure things out on our own if given the tool.
Photo of Alvin Chevolleaux

Alvin Chevolleaux

My company uses Ring Central and yet I need to use the free version of Zoom for all of my meetings. I regularly schedule meetings with people across the globe and it's really annoying that I need to restart my meetings every 40 minutes because I'm using the free version when I've got a Ring Central account.

If there was WebRTC support that would be enough but currently the message is that you guys don't care about a subset of your users as long as the majority are served which doesn't leave a good feeling about your company.

There's even a Chromebook app and what serious business people are using Chromebooks? I would certainly think that Linux users are more common in business than Chromebook users but Linux seems to be a dirty word to many decision makers.

BTW as CTO I will be recommending other solutions above RingCentral. I think it's a pretty good and cost effective solution overall but due to the lack of Linux support I just cannot recommend its continued use in our company and will not recommend it to others.
(Edited)
Photo of SuperscapeSYSMan

SuperscapeSYSMan

I've just attempted to conference in potential investors and without Linux support I was unable to complete the call, which is both embarrassing and annoying. My partners (Windows users) use RingCentral but as a CTO (Linux user) I can't use this system.

I would love to hear the sound business sense from RCM of a system based off of Zoom and yet not  able to support a Linux client.
Photo of CJ Patracone

CJ Patracone

• 780 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would like to see this too, I still have to keep using other software to accomplish task that I was told Ring central would replace, and at my own cost.
please add this ASAP

To help our Product Team understand your request and assure it gets more consideration, please include the following details in your request: 
Account type  (U.S., Canada, UK,  AT&T, Telus, BT)
US
A brief description of the business 
Software company
A high level description of the product or feature being requested
ring central meetings to work on Linux computers through the browser
A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature
I remote into computers everyday, some of them are linux.
Benefit of such feature
I would not have to keep using the software ring central was to replace
Include any related case number if applicable
Number of Users and/or Digital Lines
1200+ world wide now
Photo of Drew Thorne

Drew Thorne

• 62 Points
We also need to see RingCentral for Linux. 

Account type: US
Description: SAAS company
Feature request: RingCentral meetings support for Linux desktop environments
Use case: Users who work on a Linux desktop OS being able to join meetings with full feature compatibility, e.g. screen sharing and control 
Benefit: Use our product to collaborate with our team
Our account has 65 users, all of them may potentially be involved with meetings where a participant needs to join from a Linux desktop

(Edited)
Photo of Emre Eraltan

Emre Eraltan

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
2 years ago, I claimed the Linux support but I see that the official support message has never been announced.
Since, we have found a nice workaround.

For anyone who wants to connect to a Ringcentral meetings as a participant using a Linux OS:

Please download and use the following application:
https://zoom.us/download?os=linux

Once installed, use the meeting ID mentioned in the Ringcentral invitation.

Tested on CentOS and it works (including Screen Sharing and Taking Mouse/Keyboard control).
Photo of Alvin Chevolleaux

Alvin Chevolleaux

Hmmm, and if I download the mobile app I can kind of host meetings...
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

2287 USA based users, 28 different sites,  3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones

2018-11-09-We will test on the current Ubuntu LTS 18.04.1 version and report back.