RingCentral Meetings Silent Install

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Please add supported silent install options to the meetings app as is supported with the softphone to allow rapid deployments to all systems in an organization.
Photo of nick2600

nick2600

• 460 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Doug Ancil

Doug Ancil

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Could you also please kill the launcher window after the install as well.

Thanks
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

• 3,220 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
can we get an update on this?!  i would really like to deploy this application.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry Dustin,  There's not ETA if/when this will happen.  I do understand this would be nice for large organizations so everyone interested please vote, and comment here providing reasons/benefits etc. 

Thanks!
Mike 
Photo of pdxITgirl

pdxITgirl

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I did vote, but wonder how much good that will do. It amazes me that a product intended for use by enterprise does not have an enterprise solution for install of its products. It should not need third-party products just to do a silent install, especially when this ability is built in to the installers. It should be trivial. As well as a way to silence the firewall prompt in Windows for application exceptions upon not only install, but every single update. No reason that should be coming up, let alone every time.
Photo of Jason Chang

Jason Chang

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Mike, we're getting ready to deploy RingCentral at our company and I've been tasked with ensuring the phone and the meetings app have been deployed to all systems.  Can you provide an update on when you guys might release an MSI for the meetings app?

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Jason, Check your email in a few minutes. I'll try to email you a zip file.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Jason,  I tried to email your address in your Community profile but I got a rejection from Google. Do you have another email address.  If you can, just email us at community.support@ringcentral.com and we'll reply back with a zip file containing the msi.
Photo of Jason Chang

Jason Chang

Mike, I just sent that email over from @belkin.com
Photo of Jason Chang

Jason Chang

Mike, can you get that sent over? sorry for the rush, but we're rolling out very soon.  Thanks!
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

• 3,220 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
For what it's worth...  I just took a shot in the dark and used PDQ Deploy to remotely install the latest RC desktop application.  it worked!  and it never prompted the remote machine for installation, it just showed up when it was done and functioned properly.  YAY!

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

That is awesome Dustin.  Thanks for sharing!

Mike 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,502 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This would be a real help for us - we have A LOT of Users
Photo of Jason Chang

Jason Chang

Looks like this is just for the actual softphone and not the meetings app.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It works for both on the Apple platform using Munki.  All behind the curtains and the apps just show up.
Photo of Jason Chang

Jason Chang

Eric, I'm not sure what you're referring to but everyone in this thread is having trouble deploying the Ring Central meetings app and not the actual Desktop phone app. The desktop phone app isn't an issue because it has an MSI where as the Meetings app does not.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We are on the OS X platform and deploy our apps via Munki.  Under Windows it would be a different ballgame.
Photo of Enrique Sanchez

Enrique Sanchez

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You can install the the soft phone silently using the msi package. you can get the msi by running the .exe installer then looking in the temp directory of the user running the exe file. You will see the msi installer in the temp directory. You can then deploy the that file via GPO or any other distribution software.  
(Edited)
Photo of ksanders

ksanders

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Softphone msi deploys fine using Group Policy. However the Meetings Client installs per user and is only available as an EXE. WebEx, Gotomeeting, and all the other major Web Conferencing systems provide an MSI for installation of the meeting client, both for hosting and joining meetings.
Photo of pdxITgirl

pdxITgirl

I was wondering if you've personally deployed RingCentral (not RingCentral Meetings) via GPO. We did that, and it took so long to boot (due to the size of the installer) that many users thought their computers were frozen (sometimes as much as 15-25 minutes, usually around 5). This is while hosting the installer on a local file server, not over a VPN or anything like that. So I took it out. Wondering if this is typical or not.
Photo of Enrique Sanchez

Enrique Sanchez

I have deployed the RC for windows app many times and never had this issue. But it sounds like a copying the file is taking longer than expected.Have you tried testing the transfer rate from your server to the machine?
Photo of pdxITgirl

pdxITgirl

Well it happens on every user's computer, to varying degrees. And yeah, copying the file manually from the server it's hosted on is many, many orders of magnitude faster. This isn't a large network, it's all switched gigabit, and we never get close to saturation on any network links. The file servers are not overwhelmed. It's a pretty basic setup, really, and happens in both offices we tried this in (using different, local servers for each). In this case, I put the installer in the Netlogon share of a domain controller in each site so permissions wouldn't be an issue.

It's really infuriating. 
(Edited)
Photo of Enrique Sanchez

Enrique Sanchez

It looks like the exe does not require admin privileges to install. The user can click on the exe and launch it themselves or you could always use a batch to install on the users behave from a central exe file to install it for them.  
Photo of pdxITgirl

pdxITgirl

No, it requires admin privileges here, not just to install the application (RingCentral itself, not meetings), but for every update and a further privilege escalation for the Windows firewall exception prompt that comes up both on install and every version update of RingCentral. If we allow GPO to install, it won't ask for a privilege escalation for the firewall exception prompt once you've reached your desktop.

We can't go around giving admin escalations twice on every install & update for 115+ users in four offices and two countries. Over 15 of our users are home office based, so we have to remote in for them, and two of our offices do not have IT personnel so we have to remote in for them as well, for every workstation.

There has got to be a way around this. We really like RingCentral - especially compared to the competitor we switched from - but I'm very unhappy with this portion of it, as it's what I have to deal with. Just too much overhead.
Photo of jlaprade

jlaprade

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
2 years and still no MSI? I want to be able to add RC Meetings into my task sequences but without an MSI or any custom switches I can only install per user and not to all users. 
This is basic functionality. Please release an MSI. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello jlaprade,

We do have an MSI for RingCentral Meetings. However, it is quite large and often times cannot be emailed as a zip file due to the recipient's security. Please email community.support@ringcentral.com & I will add you to a Glip room that has the MSI available for download.
(Edited)
Photo of jlaprade

jlaprade

Thanks, I have sent the request.
Is there any reason why this MSI is not available on your website anywhere? Or why the chat support doesn't know that it exists?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

I'm not sure, in all honesty. I have, however, mentioned it to our Product Team.

As for the Chat agent not knowing, I do apologize. I will be sure to coach them :)
Photo of jlaprade

jlaprade

I have downloaded the MSI and added it to my task sequence. A quick test shows that it does install silently and does allow the allusers property to be changed. Thank you for the fast response.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

You're welcome!
Photo of ksanders

ksanders

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, this really should be on the website with the rest of the installers.
Photo of Filip Swiderski

Filip Swiderski

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi! 
How quick you respond to the emails from that account? It would be great to create an article with some useless knowledge about all 3 apps + MSI links. In my case, I need to take care of the RC Outlook extension. Should you have MSI or we will need to run user to user based update? Also, does installer first delete the app or it just upgrade the version? 

Regards
Photo of Filip Swiderski

Filip Swiderski

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi! 
How quick you respond to the emails from that account? It would be great to create an article with some useless knowledge about all 3 apps + MSI links. In my case, I need to take care of the RC Outlook extension. Should you have MSI or we will need to run user to user based update? Also, does installer first delete the app or it just upgrade the version? 

Regards
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Filip,

I'm looking into that information and will continue to email you :)
Photo of Joseph Porter

Joseph Porter, Champion

• 1,270 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Saadet,

I feel like some misinformation has been spread in regards to the first comment on this chain, because I've downloaded all files and Meetings is by far the smallest (See picture 2):

The larger files are hosted on RingCentral servers, while RC Meetings is being delivered through Amazon AWS.

Not trying to be rude, but as a sysadmin whose company relies heavily on automation and honesty from vendors, I've lost a smidgen in confidence.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Joseph,

The main reason for not being able to email the MSI for RingCentral Meetings is due to the recipient's email security. For instance, even if I attach the MSI in an email without the zip file, it usually gets kicked back to me. Which is why we created the Glip Room so that you all can more easily track new MSIs that are available instead of having to email and request them every time. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

01-29-2018 Hi Saadet, my GLIP login has been broken since the October RingCentral Conference. Is there a way to also park the MSI info on a Google Drive share with a link by request (so it is not just out there in public)    Yes the GLIP team knows about it and has an open case - I have had no updates in more than a month - so I have given up ever using Glip.   If you can get us a Google Drive shared link for this - we will use that. 
Photo of Jason Chang

Jason Chang

• 72 Points
I have this same issue!
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Jason,

What issue in particular are you having?
Photo of Jason Chang

Jason Chang

• 72 Points
Saadet, I’m unable to login to Glip. It worked for a couple of days after I was invited to the channel. However, I get an error after authenticating via SSO. I have no issues logging into ring central and only have issues with glip.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Jason,

Hmmmm....have you talked to Support about this yet? Do you have Glip enabled on your account? 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,990 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey Everyone! I wanted to share with you a new link where you can download the MSI files for our programs. We hope this helps you :) 

I highly recommend bookmarking this for future use.

We also have a Glip room where many of our customers who deploy the MSI files are able to chat and ask questions. If you would like to be part of it, email us at community.support@ringcentral.com and we can add you!
(Edited)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,676 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-07-12 Saadet - the Meetings installer is in an EXE not an MSI --- exe files are for single user deployment on their own computer --- MSI's are  packaged differently so you can push one single installer into many computers via Windows SCCM or other mass deployment tools. Is there an RCMeetings MSI going to be posted on that page? 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Cecile!

There are 2 sections on this page. One for the Users and the other for Admins. The Admin section has the MSI for Meetings and other programs :)

Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,676 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks go ahead and delete my earlier comment !
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No worries, Cecile! You're not the first to ask. If you don't mind, I'll leave your comment up in case someone else is having issues finding it :)
Photo of John Baristow

John Baristow

• 60 Points
Very nice article thanks for sharing this information. I am a Senior Web Designer & Web Developer in Dubai. I work with creative agencies in UAE to manage and assist in their projects.