Desktop App: Server 2008 terminal server environment

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I work for a managed IT provider supporting a company with ~200+ employees, all of whom have recently been migrated to RingCentral phones. They are using a variety of IP phones and softphones in the environment which is primarily Win7 Pro, with a few Win10 Pro users here and there. 

The client is looking to see if the RingCentral application/softphone can be installed on their Server 2008 terminal servers, and used by multiple logged-in users simultaneously, most likely with headsets/softphone features (no IP phone). If so, we'll need to know if there are any special installation instructions or requirements.

I located a document that suggests that the app is only compatible with Win7 and 8, and talking to RC support on the phone resulted in them directing me back to that same document, along with suggesting that I post here for community support.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!
Photo of Michael Mays

Michael Mays

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Nathan Malone

Nathan Malone, U.S. Tier 2 Support

• 4,720 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello Michael,

The Softphone uses the unique host name of the PC to authenticate when you sign in. Because of the way TS servers works, the softphone thinks that multiple users are trying to log into the same PC host name at the same time. This will not work unfortunately. This is the major issue with trying to use the TS server for the softphone.

In response to Chris Verdin's comment, any User can de-authorize their own softphone. They simply sign into their extension, select "Settings", select "Phones & Numbers", then select the softphone in question. From there the User can de-authorize the PC so they can sign in on another machine.

Thank you,
Nate Malone, Tier 2 Technical Support
(Edited)