RingCentral Andorid app 3.8.18 interfering with Google Voice

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution, has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have questions or comments related to this to thread, please create a new topic, or post to anot

The latest version of the RingCentral Andorid app 3.8.18 is interfering with Google Voice. Specifically, it prevents Google Voice from being used to place calls. Even when the setting "Ask every time I make a call" is set in Google Voice, call are placed through the carrier directly. This causes a major issued for international calls as GV is bypassed causing huge billing charges from the wireless carrier. The current workaround is to uninstall the RingCentral Andorid app or to "Force stop" it.
Photo of Alex Bellovic

Alex Bellovic

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Bryan Mise

Bryan Mise

• 62 Points
I have the same problem. Both apps worked just fine until a few days ago.
Photo of Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur

• 198 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem. I had to go back to a backup version, 3.8.15. Thank goodness I use Titanium Backup regularly.

The Ringcentral app simply needs to do the same thing that Google Voice does, which is to pop up a choice box on every call. Give the user the choice of using Google Voice, RingCentral, or the native dialer.

This could be done by one of the third party apps that allow you to make this selection per number: Voice Choice 2.0 or Voice Plus 2.0 (links below). Perhaps those developers could help the Ringcentral app developers with interfacing with Google Voice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...
Photo of Pat Stephenson

Pat Stephenson

• 60 Points
I have the same issue ... any word on an RC fix?
Photo of Megan Krekorian

Megan Krekorian

• 60 Points
Only thing that has fixed the problem was to uninstall Ringcentral, which is quite unfortunate.
Photo of Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur

Apparently, there is no way to choose a past version from the Google Play store, so you can only roll back to 3.8.15 if you have a backup (which I did). Ringcentral should make 3.8.15 available to people on demand, until they fix this problem. If you are one of the _3.5 million_ people who use Google Voice, this is a showstopper.

I think the problem is that Google Voice is only available to users in the United States, and Ringcentral is offshoring their app development. Most likely, their developers have never heard of Google Voice, and can't even use it on their phones to test it.
Photo of A+

A+

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Are they providing 3.8.15 on demand? That would be awesome! The new version can't live on our phones with Google Voice.
Photo of Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur

No, I only was able to roll back to 3.8.15 because I use Titanium Backup, and I had a backup of the previous version. But enough people make the request, then Ringcentral might make it available somehow.
Photo of Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur

If anyone is having this problem, send an email to rcmobilefeedback@ringcentral.com. It goes to Ringcentral's executive response team, and they will respond to you.

Neil Obligado of the Ringcentral Executive Response Team responded to me today, and verified that this problem is now a Feature Request ticket, and it is being evaluated by the development team. I'm sure they would benefit from knowing how many people are affected by the interference with Google Voice, so send them an email if you want your opinion heard.
Photo of gs

gs

• 60 Points
I created a ticket before I found these threads, have had no feedback and today they announced the ticket is closed!

I tried installing RC again on my android, again it caused GVoice to stop working.
---
Case Created Date: 12/16/2013

Hi Greg Shepherd,

I would like to inform you that case 02246311 is now considered closed.....but we're still going to send you a survey about how well we did
Photo of People Search

People Search

• 60 Points
I had to remove the ring central app from my phone. GV is more important.
Photo of Joshua Hulst

Joshua Hulst

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The update released yesterday still has the bug in it. Is there any estimate on when a working version will be provided. I'm amazed that this is still a problem after two months.
Photo of John Clark

John Clark

• 70 Points
I am having the same problem as well. As mentioned above this should not be that hard to fix particularly since it was not a problem in previous versions.
Photo of John Clark

John Clark

• 70 Points
I am having the same problem as well. As mentioned above this should not be that hard to fix particularly since it was not a problem in previous versions.
Photo of Baseer Balazadeh

Baseer Balazadeh

• 60 Points
I'm having the same issue...I had to remove RC app to allow GV to make outbound calls.

I found a bandaid fix though...force quit RC and GV outbound works...but that's not much of a fix...GV app is much more important to me than RC.
Photo of Ben Foster

Ben Foster, Alum

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi all - the latest version of our Android app addresses this bug. This blog post explains in further detail.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.