Desktop App: Scalability lacking (fonts too small)

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • (Edited)
Please include scalability of the fonts in your windows desktop application. The fonts are too small on a high resolution monitor . My laptop is a Toshiba Kira 2560 x 1440.
Photo of Frank Williams

Frank Williams

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mark Erickson

Mark Erickson

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I completely agree.  Windows desktop app is unusable on high res ultrabooks
Photo of Kevin Erickson

Kevin Erickson

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agreed
Photo of hoomank

hoomank

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agreed. Too small to be usable on Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 13,980 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
+1
Photo of Kevin Callahan

Kevin Callahan

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am glad that I am not the only one to have this problem. I am also ready to look for a new app. Any ideas on good cloud phone services?
Photo of Kevin Callahan

Kevin Callahan

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled size of windows app too small.

I have downloaded the Ring Central app for windows onto my Surface Pro 3. No matter how I size the app window, it is way to small to read, rendering the app unusable. I was told by Customer Support that there is no plan to make any changes to this, and that the only thing I can do is create a conversation here with the problem. So, here it is. When is Ring Central going to fix the app for windows 8.1 so you can actually see the text?

Claudio (Customer)

Yeah! that is a problem with the higher resolution screens...
Can I suggest to use the Google Chrome extension?  Of course is not the same like having a separate app, but it works just fine inside Google Chrome, this is the link to download and install inside Google Chrome:
http://marks-design.com/Ring-Central-CTD.crx

And more info here:
https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/click-to-dial-chrome-extension
Photo of Kevin Luther

Kevin Luther

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The Google Chrome Extension is fine if you are by your desk phone but if you need to use the actual VOIP features of the system on your computer then the extension is useless
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,842 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The APP on the Mitel and Avaya VoIP systems are hard to read as well on the Surfaces.  And the Cisco and Grandstream APPs won't even work on Surface devices. 

Claudio (Customer)

If other apps are not working fine does not mean that RC can't keep improving... In fact, could be another advantage for those that are exploring VoIP alternatives...
I mean, if other players are not doing a good job... is the easiest excuse for RC...  

(Edited)
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,842 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think you misunderstood my post.  At last count there over over 1M APPS (per Apple).  APP design is a tough job because you have to make sure your APP works on the thousands of devices.  My cable app does not work on my iPad, my bank app has glitches on my iPhone, my Facebook app freezes on my PDA. etc. I know it's frustrating but my intention was to show other telephone system vendors have similar issues and they get complains too.  Heck, even McDonalds has a tough time getting my drive-thru order correct.  RC has issues (famously their customer service & and they poor, at best, partner support), so no means am I making excuses for them.  I was simply sharing so that others know this before they start searching for that "utopian" telephone provider.  However, if anyone finds it - share with the rest of us!

Claudio (Customer)

Could be good to pass this statistics to the Development Department of RingCentral
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/bro...

There you can verify that as of today, about 97% of our visitors have a screen resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher...

So to have scalability feature at the Softphone for Windows is a must.
Photo of Ken Minter

Ken Minter

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do i change display fonts.

I have a new Dell Laptop with Core i7 processor and HD display: my display fonts in RingCentral for Windows are tiny, causing visual challenges and mistakes. I want to change the font size of the displays.

Claudio (Customer)

This not the right and better answer but since we are still waiting for an update from RingCentral to handle properly the scalability of the app, and if you are using the Softphone intensively, you should consider to change the resolution of the screen through the Windows tools provided for that purpose.
Photo of Ken Minter

Ken Minter

Thank you!!! I tried that. But it screwed up other programs.
Photo of Kevin Luther

Kevin Luther

reducing your resolution should not be a recommendation.. RingCentral fixing their app is the ONLY solution.

Claudio (Customer)

I agree 100% with you Kevin, but if RC is delaying the solution for a long time... in this community we need to share other options that (eventually) could help...
Photo of Chris Hill

Chris Hill

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Please fix this ASAP. 
Photo of Kevin Luther

Kevin Luther

Everyone update to the latest build. The V 7.2.4.15096 now works on a high res display and it looks amazing.
Photo of pcobiwan

pcobiwan

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Kevin - I still have extremely small lettering and the  keypad doesn't scale.
Photo of Kevin Luther

Kevin Luther

are you sure you are on the 7.2 version? i am having zero scaling issues now.. My res is 3840 x 2160 on both monitors and it looks great on both
Photo of pcobiwan

pcobiwan

7.2.4.15096.  I like the HUD addition at least.  I'm on a Surface Pro 3 and it does not scale at all.  The window enlarges, but the keys and text stay minscule.
Photo of Sonia Singh

Sonia Singh, Official Rep

• 1,080 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The latest release does have improvements that help with font scaling particularly for windows desktop versions.

pcobiwan: sorry that the fonts are still small for you.  Looks like we'll need to take another look at the tablet versions.

Would like to hear from other tablet users...what's your experience with the latest release?
Photo of pcobiwan

pcobiwan

Thank you Sonia!  The Surface Pro 3 runs on Intel Graphics.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

I am still seeing the very small fonts on my Surface Pro 3 also with 7.2.4 . Please fix!
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff Renda

Jeff Renda

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Sonia. Any update on this issue?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,468 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jeff,   Can you please update from 7.2 to 7.4 and let us know what the result is?

Mike 
Photo of Jeff Renda

Jeff Renda

Hi Mike,

I have been running 7.4 since it came out. No change, the fonts are still way too small. Even if I disable display scaling on high DPI settings it does not change the font size.
(Edited)
Photo of Doug Miller

Doug Miller

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Windows10 Font Scaling.

Multiple monitors and Windows10. Font are WAY too small
Photo of Jeff Renda

Jeff Renda

I know. They tried to fixed font scaling which worked on some PC's 5 months ago, but it still doesn't scale for me. I am using a Surface Pro 3. The fonts are still way to small! I told them about this 5 months ago, but no fix or even a mention of if they will fix it...
Photo of Stella Gressis

Stella Gressis

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Font Size (important for both default and options).

Purchased New Windows 10 for new laptop.  Downloaded Ring Central Application.
The font size of the default application is very SMALL.  There is also no option to be able to change the font size.  Tried to change "display settings" from actual computer and every other application changed other than Ring Central.  Can you please adjust?
Photo of Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Has same issue on our surface pro 3
Photo of CAPITAL

CAPITAL

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled WINDOWS UPDATE SOFTPHONE WINDOW TOO SMALL.

with the new softphone windows update when a call arrives my softphone pops up on my laptop as before, HOWEVER, the window is too small that the complete phone # and EXTENTION that the caller is trying to reach CANT be SEEN. is there a way to make the popup window larger or font smaller so the entire phone # and extension the caller is calling can be seen. NOTE: I am logged in as ADMIN so my softphone pops up for calls to 5 different extentions. And I would like to know which extension is being called each time. Thank you.
Photo of MCCLELLAND

MCCLELLAND

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Completely agree.. I can barely read the screens on your desktop version and wanted to increase the font size. It's practically impossible on the laptop. It just seems a size 8 or 10 font, with black "ink" is not a lot to ask.  ;)
Photo of MCCLELLAND

MCCLELLAND

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I see that, earlier, a RC employee said "scalability" is now a feature.  If it is, I can't find it.  Anyone know?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,568 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you referring to the post from Sonia?   A few months ago, they did make some changes to accommodate certain screens with higher resolutions, but, there's not actually a manual adjustment that you can change.  However as she stated, they'll continue to look at this.  Can you post agian so they can see what device or screen & resolution you have?  Is it a tablet, or laptop? Model, etc?  
Photo of [none]

[none]

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Scaling Issue.

Compatibility Issue : 

The Desktop app is not working properly, when we installed the desktop app it doesn't fit on the screen.
Tried using a diff version of the app and yet still the same thing.
I'm not sure if its compatible with my device. I attached files about the specification of the computer.
Already tried to change the resolution to the highest that it can be. Also updated the intel Graphics driver software and still the same.

Thanks!
Photo of Danielle Delfidio

Danielle Delfidio

• 50 Points
I completely agree. The insanely small font size is ridiculous and needs to be updated asap.
Photo of David Woodson

David Woodson

I have a bunch of users with UHD displays on their laptops and the RingCentral Phone font size and the dial pad numbers do NOT SCALE, and they are way too small.  I have to get to about 10-12 inches from the screen in order to see the text.  Any updates?  Version 10.2.1.31914.  Is there anything that can fix this?  Looks like this is a very old issue?  Or should we be using a different program than the RingCentral Phone?   And from the looks of how old this issue is are we to expect any changes?  Looks like this is a years old issue.

An update on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David
(Edited)
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 60,058 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey David, can you please update to the newest 10.3 version? See if that helps!
Photo of David Woodson

David Woodson

where do I find 10.3?  I can only find 10.2.1 so far
Photo of David Woodson

David Woodson

Thank you,  Seems to be working better.  I am going to distribute this to everyone.

David
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 60,058 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hooray!