Print to fax

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: outdated info

Bring back the features that the old version had such as scanning and printing to ring central internet fax.
Photo of Olmsted Bros. Insulation

Olmsted Bros. Insulation

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Joe Long

Joe Long

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree that his feature needs to be brought back. The reason why fax machines are still used in the business world today is that it is seamless. Dial the number, hit send, it's done. If I have to fax it in, convert to pdf, save to the fax. It just adds a lot of unnecessary steps.
Photo of Joe Lavely

Joe Lavely

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I use the fax print driver daily, as do all my users. It is critical to my business. Why would this feature not be available in an upgraded version of the softphone? Am I now supposed to have all my users print to a pdf, then save the file, then add it as an attachment to a fax? I will find another solution first.

Fortunately, if you can find the installation file for the old version of the softphone, it can still be installed and the print driver is there. This is what I did.

I don’t know how many customers use the print driver, but I would think there are a lot of them, and they will ALL be upset to loose it in an “upgrade”.

Photo of Joseph Li

Joseph Li

I agree with you all. This feature is too valuable lose. Someone please bring it back. Too bad I do not have the old version.
Photo of Joe Lavely

Joe Lavely

I believe that if you call their tech support, they can send you a link to download the older, better version.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Cannot call tech support any longer must send email
Photo of Larry Solheim

Larry Solheim

• 598 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
One more vote for the scan to fax feature... so important.
Photo of warren blesofsky

warren blesofsky

• 70 Points
Can someone please post the link to the old version?
Photo of Joe Lavely

Joe Lavely

Try calling tech support and ask for RCClientSetup.exe, to install Build 6.040.001.50
(Edited)
Photo of warren blesofsky

warren blesofsky

• 70 Points
Here is the link where you can download the old softphone: https://www.box.com/s/587f0076aa2db9e29851.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

I agree!  Used it daily by several people in my office.  Much less cumbersome.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Question, does anyone from Ring Central monitor this and truly respond or is this just a waste of time?
Photo of Vi Chau

Vi Chau, Alum

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Print to Fax should now be available in our most recent update, version 6.6. You should be able to upgrade directly from our Desktop app settings or from our online web portal. 

Regarding Scan to Fax, we're currently working on this feature and hope to have it available in the next few months. 
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Here it is 2015 and it's not there still!!!!
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

No, the new update doesn't have this feature!!
Photo of JBM

JBM

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please keep working because this feature was very important to my office.
Photo of Joe Lavely

Joe Lavely

Has anyone used the print to fax in version 6.6? I would like hear some reviews before I install it.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have used it, and just tested it right before posting and it worked fine. v6.6.1 on a Win8.1  PC. 

Mike 
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Not working with 6.6.2.10219 with Win 7. 
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Still not working Mike!  Can you call me to fix the issue?  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.  Been going on for months now.  Think it's time to find a better provider. 
Photo of Michele Kimrey

Michele Kimrey

• 64 Points
I've been afraid to upgrade to 6.6 in the event that it does not work as expected.  I am not certain that their terms for features are the same as my terms.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

I have it installed and it DOES NOT seem to work properly.  Do not update!!  Please try to get this corrected real soon!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Dena,  Are you still having a problem with the Print to Fax?  I just tested it and it seems to work properly. 
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

No, still not working on vs 6.6.2.10219 on Win 7.  Just tried it and this is truly a real issue.  Can someone contact me about this and walk me through how to do it because is just will not work.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

No--I never have heard back from anyone at Ring Central either to get it corrected.
Photo of Charlie Grib

Charlie Grib

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Where did the option of sending a fax directly from scanner go?.

Running windows 8 with the new RingCentral interface. The option of attaching a document directly from the scanner seems to be missing completely. Is this a Windows 8 problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

I went to the comment.  I hope they have decided to not remove this feature for good because printing to the fax is the most used feature in my office.  This will really make me seriously reconsider using another product that does have that ability.  Once again I ask, DOES ANYONE AT RingCentral MODERATE THIS???  I can't seem to get a person on the phone and this is the only way I've found to find out what may or may not be going on.  Can anyone respond with information?
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Has anyone out there found a fix for this??
Photo of eccl11v9 .

eccl11v9 .

• 60 Points
Dena, I did not find a fix for the new update but I was able to downgrade to the older version which has scan to print. The new version obviously looks better but that feature is extremely important to me. So try downgrading. I hope that helps.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Thank you so much. Can you tell me where I go to downgrade.  I'm like you I don't care how it looks.  Functionality is the key!
Photo of Charlie Grib

Charlie Grib

The old software should be saved in your "downloads" folder on your computer. Its called " RCClientSetup.exe". Re-install that and you should be good to go.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Boo.  I got a new computer about 2 months ago.  :(
Thank you so much for all of your help. 
Photo of Charlie Grib

Charlie Grib

Dena, try this link. I put my Setup.exe in dropbox. I hope it works. Let me know.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxdk182tctbfzjt/RCClientSetup.exe?dl=0
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Thank you.  I'll try it next week.  I did get it downloaded.  You've been a wonderful help.
Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am using version 7.0.5.11608. It installs a printer called "RingCentral Internet Fax" but I can't uses it to send faxes.  I sent a message to tech support.  I got a reply to post and enhancement request to the ringcentral community.  I don't understand what the printer would be for if not to send faxes.

Rich 
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

I agree.  Charlie Grib above posted a link that worked for me.  I uninstalled the new version and everything that was Ring Central.  Then installed the file he put in the drop box.  Works perfectly!  Thank you Charlie!  You've saved me a this tax season!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Rich, You should be able to send faxes using this feature. Let us know where you are stuck or running into problems.  It works almost like any other printer. For example, if you have a Word doc you wish to fax you would just click; File > Print and select the RC Internet Fax as the printer. Then when you click the Print button, it will create an attachment in the RC destkop/softphone app.  All you need to do then is use the Softphone to enter the fax number, cover page note etc. 
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Mike--Like I've been complaining about for several months, the new system does not work (at least on Win 7).  It hasn't since it was upgraded.  It just does nothing.
Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

I have one computer that can't send a fax via the printer interface.  On all the others it creates a .tif file and loads it up to the fax out interface asking or a fax number.  That is all good.  It works great.

I submitted a support request and the reply was as us to add the feature on the ringcentral community.  The feature is there it us just not working.  I was hoping support might have a real suggestion on how to fix it.

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Dena,   Sorry for whatever the problem or confusion is.  It will work on Windows 7 as that is the system I use it with regularly. Also, I just upgraded and tested it with the most recent release 7.0.5.   Can you describe in some detail what the problem is and where you are running into problems? Can you describe step by step the process you are using, what you are seeing on your screen, any errors etc?  
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Is there a tutorial on how to use scan to fax on 7.0.5? When I click on the compose fax at the bottom of the window, I see the "Send Fax" section appear, however I only see a paperclip for attaching files, it is not intuitive (at least for me) where to click to initiate the scanner. Without this feature, I'll need to find another service.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Tom,  the Softphone can't actually initiate or control the scanner.  There are several ways to send a fax though.  Generally, if you are using a scanner, the easiest method is to just scan the document as you normally would and save it to a location on your local network that the PC can access.  Then when you click the paperclip icon you just browse your computer or network and attache the file similar to attaching a file to an email. 

Mike 
Photo of Tom

Tom

The old version softphone indeed does support scan to fax and made it simple to place the documents in the scanner and have them auto attach to fax, what you are suggesting involves additional steps and with a large number of people already using the existing solution, it will involve retraining and unhappiness. It seems silly that an updated version of software would not support something so important. It is a game changer assuming I am required to use the new software.
Photo of Michele Kimrey

Michele Kimrey

• 64 Points
You can go back to the old software, which is what I did.  I use the print to fax feature constantly in my business which is not supported by the new software.  I called my support liason and was able to get the old program installed again.  I will not be upgrading until it includes Print to Fax with verification that it is working well.
Photo of Tom

Tom

Thanks Michelle. Sure pleased I only updated my own software and not the entire office. Guess I will follow your lead on waiting for the software to do what's needed.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

As I have stated numerous times on my posts, you will need to go to the old version.  It works just fine.  They keep telling me the new one does what we are talking about but I cannot get anyone to show me how it works.  You are also correct--this is the only reason I am staying with Ring Central at all.  If it weren't for the ability to use the old version, I would be out of here.  It is VERY IMPORTANT to users.  Wish Ring Central would decide to service the customer and give us what we need and ask for.  If I can help you, just send me a message with your contact info and I will call or email you back.  Best of luck. (I am using the old system almost daily--wonderful!)
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

PS--I have the software file saved and can forward it to you.  :)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Here's a page with links to download the Legacy Softphone for anyone that needs it. 
Downloading and installing the RingCentral Legacy Softphone on a Windows computer
Photo of katybaum

katybaum

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Interesting.  Just got off of your support chat.  I was told that the legacy softphone was NOT available and that I MUST upgrade (the new program is NOT what I would call an upgrade... It is so hard to believe that the company has done nothing to correct the scan issue...and after so many months of hearing this from customers.  This is BIG!)
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

You can use the old one.  If the link above doesn't work for the installation, let me know.  I have it saved.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi katybaum ,   In most cases you can still download the Legacy phone using the links found on the page I posted above.There are a few limitations that might prevent you from doing this. Probably the biggest on is that it will not run on Win 8 or 8.1.   Other than that it will work for most people. The one drawback is that development resources are focused on improving and adding features to the new RC Desktop version instead.  
Photo of katybaum

katybaum

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you. I was able to reload the program . I appreciate that your development team is hard at word improving the new version.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

You're welcome!  Happy to help. 

Mike
Photo of Jason Burrell

Jason Burrell

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled The new Ring Central Desktop Application features.

The Print to Fax Option needs to be available for all Windows-based applications for 32 and/or 64 bit.  This feature seem to went away with the latest Desktop app version.
Photo of Joseph Li

Joseph Li

I am using the version 7.0.5.11608. It Print to fax feature is working for me.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Thanks for chiming in Joseph,  Yes, it should work if everything installed correctly. 
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Mike, If it works correctly on Win 7, then please call me and walk me through the installation.  I have installed and uninstalled several times to try to make it work and like many on here, to no avail.  You keep saying it works but I cannot seem to get any customer support to make it work.  So, if there is no customer support, what's a customer to do?  You can email me to schedule a time.
Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

This has been my experience with customer support and the "RingCentral Internet Fax" printer.  The claim was the feature dose not exist.  Then the case was closed.

Rich

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Dena,  I'm not part of the Telephone Support team, and they have access to different systems that I do not.  If you wish you can call 888-898-4591.  However I can still try to help you with some troubleshooting. 

Below you mentioned that you would like to fax documents that are already on your computer such as Word docs.  Can you open up any random Word doc and click File > Print > and the Printer drop-down like shown below and tell me if you see Ring Central Internet Fax showing up as one of the Printer choices?

(Edited)
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Yes, it shows up and opens the application but that's as far as it will go.  From there I have to attach the file and send that way.  I also cannot figure out to how make changes to the cover letter.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Visit this page for any questions on the cover sheet so that we keep this thread on topic:
How do I customize my fax cover sheet?

Once your perform the steps above and click the Print button it should open the RC App as you described. You'll get a screen where you click the "+" sign to add a recipient and you should see the file attached already.  Then just click the Send button at the bottom of the window.
Photo of Michael Savage

Michael Savage

• 986 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The customize covers sheet for soft phone is for the old soft phone.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry for the confusion.  Here's the page showing the new version.
Setting Up a Custom Fax Cover Page on the RingCentral Desktop App
Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

Here is a thought I had.  Install an app like icopy http://icopy.sourceforge.net/ on your computer.  This allows you to select your scanner and printer. It makes you scanner work like a copier.

Select the RingCentral Internet Fax as the printer then you could scan a document and print it without having to mess with scanning to a file and using the scan out feature.

I do see that is would be nice to have this in one package as a part of the RingCentral app.  I will say this it seem that RingCentral is listening to this forum because I have seen feature added in the past.

Rich

Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Rick, Thank you for the idea.  I'll use it when I am scanning in items to be faxed.   However, the vast majority of the time, I am taking an existing document and faxing it---already scanned or in Word, etc.  I do appreciate you help on the scanned items.
Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It says "implemented" but I just downloaded and installed the newest ringcentral for windows and now when I got into my Microsoft program and print a letter there is no ring central printer listed.  The only way I seem to be able to fax is to save the letter as a pdf and then open ring central for windows and attach the saved file to the outgoing fax!?  How can I print directly from my document to fax?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Jules,  When you are in the Microsoft Application you generally click  File > Print and get a pop-up that contains a drop-down menu with the various printer options. Can you verify, or be sure that you don't have to scroll down. You should see "RingCentral Internet Fax" in the drop-down. If not, try to uninstall, and re-install the RC Desktop app and pay special attention to any pop-up or warnings coming from yuor security software that ask you to authorize, or allow the installation.
(Edited)
Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

No, when I updated from softphone to ring central desktop for windows I lost the ability to print from a drop-down printer list.  If I go to my printers in control panel the old ring central printer shows up but it is grayed out now.
Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

What version of ring central desktop are you using. I am using 7.0.5 and have a ring central printer.

You can go to setup and select about and press the check for updates button. Some of the early version of ring central desktop did not have fax printing.

Rich
Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

I just installed this from ring central the other day.   version 7.0.5.11608.  When I check for updates it tells me I am current.

We are using windows 8.1 and the ring central printer does not appear in the drop down list and is grayed out in the control panel printers list.

I chatted with support and they are telling me this feature is not available for this release.

** The photo you are showing is our the soft phone used to print to fax.  The new RingCentral for Windows is not giving us that printer

(Edited)
Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

Devices and Printers right click on the grayed out RingCentral Internet Fax printer.
Select "See what's printing."
This will open a dialog box with RingCentral Internet Fax.
Click on the Printer pull down menu.
See if the menu item "Use Printer Offline" is checked. If so click it to uncheck it.

"Use Printer Offline" is what normally makes a printer be grayed out.

RIch
Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

It doesn't let you look at it's properties.  It just gives you this message

Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

Jules--

This is why I uninstalled the new version and re-installed the old version.  I could not get it to work either.  If you need the installation file for the old version, just let me know.  Sorry you're have issues.  Running the old version has worked for me.
Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

I have the old version and if I un-install the new version and install the old one it does work.  I just don't understand why they released a new version that does not have the fax to print available anymore as that's an integral part of a fax program.  
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

I agree.  Then keep trying to tell us that it does work for months when it doesn't. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Dena and Jules, The Print to Fax feature will indeed work if everything is installed correctly. I'm wondering if there's some sort of conflict with old printer drivers or something.  You may want to give us a call and try to reinstall and test it while on the phone.  I suggest completely removing the RC software and double check your Control Panel > Printers & Devices and if you see any RingCentral printer be sure to remove it. Then go ahead and reinstall the RC Desktop and pay special attention to all prompts that may appear and be sure to allow access as to not block the installation of any components. 

Mike 
Photo of Jules Wilkinson

Jules Wilkinson

Why did the rep from the online chat I just participated in tell me this feature was not available on the Ring Central for Windows app?
Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

That was true a few months ago. I have gotten the same response as well from rc support.
Photo of Dena Day

Dena Day

You say call but I haven't found a number to call either.  I requested someone call me as walk me through it and I received no call.  I read over the steps you suggested and that is exactly what I did a few months ago.  If however, it was not a feature at that time, that would be why it didn't work. 
Photo of Casey White

Casey White

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Please bring back the print to fax feature...please! 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.