Seeing and checking all extension voicemails from app

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
Checking all extensions from app

I have a small business. We have 4 extensions plus the fax line.  I need to be able to check all lines to make sure no voicemails etc are missed.  I can't log in to the app and see all calls, all voicemails etc.  I need to log in to each extension individually which is a waste of time.

I don't understand why an administrator can't see all calls/voicemails etc.  This is much more efficient...or see all calls voicemails from a specific set of extensions.

Please enable this capability for the app.  (Actually, while I can see all calls/voicemails from the desktop, it does require me to reenter passwords for each extension when I want to check voicemails which is a bit of a pain but at least I can see that there are unchecked voicemails.  Would be better if I didn't have to reenter passwords as an administrator)

Thanks
Photo of Brent Garcia

Brent Garcia

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 2,842 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
There are a number of entries in Ideas for administrative visibility to calls, faxes, texts, voicemails, etc.  Hopefully this one can get merged with those so the vote count can ratchet up and be noticed.

One suggestion, though.  If you go into the notification settings for each of the extensions, you can change the recipients to include yourself (or other admins) and check the box to include the voicemail as an attachment.  You can modify the rules for faxes, missed calls, and texts, as well.  Although this is not as convenient or 'admin-like' as being able to monitor centrally from your application and/or portal, it should help you out until RingCentral gets around to giving admins elevated and centralized access to other accounts.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 18,712 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

2019-01-14 What Bob Robinson suggested above is the easiest way to do it.   In our situation for a select set of role phone extensions, we made the extension owned by a generic mailbox owner and cc'd  voicemails and faxes to the person who usually uses that desk in the Advanced Notifications Tab.  

On a side note, @BobRobinson the concept of  "RingCentral gets around to giving admins elevated and centralized access to other accounts"   is not a matter of getting around to it.  Data Privacy Laws in California and nationally in the USA will take precedence over what a customer wants or feels they "need" in terms of Admin access to individual users email, voicemail, fax and txt messages.   Many Admins are not aware of that and think since they are paying for an account they should have unfettered access to all communications. It is a slippery slope where the line is drawn. I'd like to suggest that RingCentral offer a lot of education for account-holders on this type of issue to manage RC account-holder expectations a little better. They could make a "Data Privacy: Rights and Responsibilities" webinar just like they do for the other Administration functions. 

(Edited)
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 2,832 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Good info @Cecile.  Do you know if those laws apply to e-mail, too?  I ask because my reference point for wanting admin access to voice/fax/text is that administratively, we have the ability to not only recover and read any e-mail in Office 365, we can do things like litigation hold and archiving all content, as well.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

2019-01-14 I think they probably do, however email also has laws that apply to it that are specific to email and not other forms of communication. I will be following up on this area of information with RC as they really do need to offer some education to their Admin Customers about where there lines are - so this sets a decent level of expectations at the customer level.

Lots of times, folks here in the Community Forum assume RingCentral does not care, does not listen, does not act on their customer requests without giving thought to the fact that as a member of the telecommunications industry RingCentral is bound by a lot of regulations that can impact their product delivery and functionality. 

Because my employer is a public entity, we have to follow and stay current on this type of laws and how they apply to our operations. We do frequently have to do litigation hold on email - and when we do that, we usually freeze voicemail as well, but these are different processes than actually accessing the contents of the email box or voicemail box.  We typically leave that to our legal team/lawyers when they have a court-order.

(Edited)
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 2,842 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
For the record, I think RingCentral cares and listens, and I hope they implement something that not only helps with this on the admin side, but look at building controls and feedback directly into the product, both for users and for admins.  My initial comment regarding RingCentral implementing something was made from the perspective of the request being heard.  I've seen at least 10 Idea requests recently that were for similar forms of administrative visibility.  If they each get 3-5 votes, they get lost.  If there is one idea out there on this, not only is it easier for us to see it and lobby for votes, it's more visible on the RC side as something we are interested in.  Even if their answer ends up being that they cannot make changes due to privacy laws/regulations, that can be done once instead of 10+ times.

In the end, if they don't respond, we are left to make our own assumptions as to why.  To wit, if RC could easily respond, stating that regulations and privacy laws keep them from implementing such a request (resulting in less 'noise' on the forum and an answer that we could all find via search) why wouldn't they?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

@BobRobinson Great remarks, and great questions. I have pitched this thread to someone over at RC and we will hope someone in the correct RingCentral Team gets onboard with a reply or update or whatever. Thanks for contributing..."A rising tide floats all boats higher."