Deskphone: Allow users to change the background image on my RingCentral Phone?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hello,

I would like to know if it possible to setup a Polycom VVX 410 phone with a custom wallpaper without losing the setting when the power is cycled.

Everything I have read points to configuring the provision server and from the research I have done, this is not possible with RingCentral. If that is the case, is there a way to bypass the server to have the wallpaper be pulled from a local server?

PDF how-to on what I would like to accomplish

Thank You
Photo of Kubikle Free

Kubikle Free

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

• 744 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Feels like such a Mickey Mouse operation. No consistency and no value in customer input. How can a company create a configuration file that keeps the custom background even after phone reboots for one phone manufacturer and not another? I understand that there is a configuration template for each phone model/manufacturer, but c'mon man, make it consistent across the board. Like I said in an earlier reply, most of our customers have Polycom phones and the background image doesn't change after reboots. But for whatever reason the "engineers" at RingCentral decided that newly supported Yealink phones don't get to have that capability.

Seems like all they're doing is adding "new features" to their platform so they can keep raising the prices and make their investors happy. Same thing is happening with a ticketing system vendor we use. After our customer's contracts have expired, we're going to be moving them away from RingCentral and into Intermedia.
Photo of Front desk

Front desk

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I add a logo on the phone desktop?.

Requesting a logo on the desktop of the phone.
Photo of Kerry Grimes

Kerry Grimes

• 62 Points
FYI, on my Polycom vvx601, I was able to copy the image for the background to a USB drive, put a USB drive in the usb port in the back of the phone, click the USB icon on the screen, select picture frame, find the photo you want to using the arrows, then select the background icon. This sticks after a reboot.
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 38,002 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That will work on a VVX 411, VVX 450, the VVX500 and VVX600 series.
Photo of David Noel

David Noel

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Wallpaper/Background for Cisco 8861.

The RC stark blue background on the Cisco 8861 is horrendous.  I understand had we chosen the Polycom units, we could change the background.  Everyone in the company feels the same way, we need to ability to change the background to either our company logo or something that is not so hard on the eyes.
Photo of Patrick

Patrick

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature: Background Wallpaper, Branding of our Cisco Phones, Custom Provisioning ....

It's very very tacky and annoying RC still insists on uploading it's horrendous logo to our phones that we own. I've been a customer for a few years, this was promised to be fixed, I've seen that the professional services group can initiate this with my account manager, who honestly doesn't seem to care about me asking about this issue or telling me what can't be done.. 

It's one section of a provisioning file. I could easily override it, but I don't feel the need to have to add fancy tricks for something that should be enabled by default. Manual provisioning makes the phones utterly useless, especially since these are cisco 525g2....The service works flawlessly or I'd be changing but this really urks me we are forced to advertise for your service when we are already paying a good amount of money and we own the devices.
Photo of Lawton Brown

Lawton Brown

• 68 Points
Same problem here. Same runaround. Looks like 4 years and counting on this request.
Would love to be able to pick or change the background for a CISCO IP phone SPA525G and not have the RingCentral logo on it all the time in my office would love to have my logo on it
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

• 1,916 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello Pastor Sean!

You might want to try this. 

Configure Wallpaper Selection Using the phone:

1. Copy your favorite photos on the USB key into the \pictures directory.

2. Insert the USB key into the SPA525G's USB slot.

3. Press the setup button [looks like a page with top-right corner bent]

4. Press 6, User Preferences

5. Press 3, Screen Preferences

6. Scroll down to Wallpaper

7. Navigate right to display the Select an image screen
    This causes the phone to check the USB key's \pictures directory

8. Press View displays a full-size version of the image
    Use the Previous, Next, and Back soft keys to scroll between the images

9. Press Select to choose the new background image

10. Press Set to save your selection

11. Press the setup button [looks like a page with top-right corner bent] to exit and display the phone's regular display with the new wallpaper

Please let me know if you have further questions!
Photo of Patrick

Patrick

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've figured out how to do it on the cisco phones and it's persistant, but you must own the phone and have access to the admin sections. The other work around is just fooling the dns service, which works as well, but if you own the phone, works flawlessly. No issues with provisioning and everything works.
Photo of David Noel

David Noel

We don't have that Cisco unit.  We are using the Cisco 8871 units.
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

Hello David!

Thanks for clarifying, I really appreciate it. This might work for your 8800 series phone.

I found one for you. Please see this link.

Thanks! 

Photo of David Noel

David Noel

We have seen this before, thank you though.  The issue is when we make the change, with the phones set to auto provision, when provisioning happens, it resets the wallpaper to the RC blue wallpaper.  We have disabled the auto provisioning and that will work but this takes away functionality from the Admin portal.  So, we want to have provisioning on.
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

Hi David!

Yes, you are right you need to remove the auto-provisioning of your phone so it will work as you wanted.

Keep in mind having a manual provisioned phone, some of the features will not work such as Presence, Intercom, Call Monitoring, etc. 

Mainly, we don’t have a feature in our auto-provisioning that allows the phone to change the wallpaper background. We will update this thread once the feature is available. 

Thanks! 

Photo of David Noel

David Noel

Thank you.  I just believe companies should be able to change their wallpaper on their office phones.  I don't understand why RC would not allow this option.  Thank you again.