Deskphone: Allow users to change the background image on my RingCentral Phone?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello,

I would like to know if it possible to setup a Polycom VVX 410 phone with a custom wallpaper without losing the setting when the power is cycled.

Everything I have read points to configuring the provision server and from the research I have done, this is not possible with RingCentral. If that is the case, is there a way to bypass the server to have the wallpaper be pulled from a local server?

PDF how-to on what I would like to accomplish

Thank You
Photo of Kubikle Free

Kubikle Free

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,596 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
As far as I know you can't do this since you can't have access to the RC provisioning server.  You can upload an image as you stated, but when the phone reboots it will be lost.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,938 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
bjsvec is correct. As soon as the phone reboots, it will be lost. 
Photo of EDWARDS

EDWARDS

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Custom background or wallpaper for Cisco IP SPA525G phone- My company logo is pre....

Custom background or wallpaper for Cisco IP SPA525G phone- My company logo is preferred
Photo of EDWARDS

EDWARDS

I cannot get the phone to recognize the pic on the usb stick. It is 55kb so it is in between 30-300kb recommended

Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,832 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't have a Cisco SPA525G phone so I can't test this but for what it's worth the information Claudio posted was originally posted 7 years ago on the Cisco Support Community. I don't know if much has changed since then, but even in that post it appeared that people missed the fact that the photos must be in the /pictures directory.

From that Community Forum:
"...the SPA525G does not scan the[ / ]directory of the USB stick but only the
[ /pictures ] directory."

Where do you have your picture located on the USB jump drive?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,774 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@Edwards - RingCentral's provisioning information takes precedence over personal settings, so if you upload an image to the background, as soon as the phone reboots/updates it will revert back to RingCentral's default settings and the image will be lost. 
Photo of EDWARDS

EDWARDS

I have successfully loaded the pic on the usb drive however and followed the instructions however this phone will not recognize the image.
Photo of SA95054

SA95054

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are trying to transition from an on-premises platform to pure RingCentral. One of the very visible "nice to have" touches is the ability to have our company logo as the background to our Polycom phones. We have that ability today with our local provisioning server but when switching to pp.ringcentral.com as the provisioning server, we are pushed down a ringcentral wallpaper that overwrites any local wallpaper that is set.

This may not seem like a high importance issue, but to win over the decision makers in the company, it is something VERY VISUAL that they can see while walking through the office. They want to see the company logo on EVERY PHONE. Not having that looks to them to be a failure of the RingCentral platform and it's hard to discuss the technical merits of RingCentral when it costs more than on-premises and also removes their beloved wallpaper. Please elevate the importance of this feature request. It is a "show stopper" that is preventing us from going forward with a 400 seat deployment.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Steven,  We'll change this from a Question topic to a feature request to raise awareness.  thanks for your comments.

Mike 
Photo of Brandon Mix

Brandon Mix

• 338 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Unable To Upload Image To Cisco SPA525G Phone! Ring Central Chooses To Control Th....

I was absolutely appalled to learn from Ring Central that after many requests and over quite a bit of time from tons of users, Ring Central continues to control the image that displays on our phones. Who gives you the right to do this?  We are paying YOU for a service.  If I have a phone that has a customizable background, than I should be able to change the image to whatever I want. If you were offering a FREE service, than your logo on the phone would be justifiable.  But not here.

You do not own my phone, so what gives you the right to control this image.  I want to have my company logo on my phones, NOT your logo.  You do not own my business, I pay you to provide a service.  Not to push your branding in our faces. 

Engineers, I am speaking on behalf of everyone else that has continued to request control over this, that we would like you to change this in the settings right away. People leave companies and using their services for many different reasons.  And you may feel that this wouldn't be one of them.  But you are definitely wrong.  As little as it may seem to you, this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth (and I'm sure others as well) that I may decide to switch to one of the many other great VOIP companies out there over the PRINCIPLE of this.

I hope you don't pass this off.  Being in business myself, this is downright pathetic that I am having to send this type of message.  Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.  Thanks for listening and for taking action in getting this corrected.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. This info is shared with our product team. 
Photo of Brandon Mix

Brandon Mix

This has been going on for months if you look back at the previous requests.  So personally, I feel that, although very important to many, it's just not important to Ring Central to correct this problem.
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

• 1,230 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You Can Set the Back Ground on your Phone to anything you want I have been able to do this for years now.  All you have to do is log into your phone and turn off the Provisioning Provision Enable: No | Resync On Reset: No |  Resync From SIP: NO | Resync After Upgrade Attempt: NO  After you do that you can go to the user tab and set what ever image you want to the phone. 
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

Brandon Mix  if you need more help you can message me directly Via Facebook
(Edited)
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

I was About to drop Ring Central Like a Hat until I fount the Admin Settings on the phone. and Was able to stop it from getting the updates from the Ring Central servers. any one that needs help with this feel free to contact me.   
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,774 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
David's idea to turn off the provisioning is strongly not recommended as the phone will not receive any updates from RingCentral or Polycom.
(Edited)
Photo of Brandon Mix

Brandon Mix

Thanks for your feedback @David Bidwell. I wish they would just fix the problem instead of telling you not to deactivate auto updates.  
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

Ring Central will not fix this issue because they want there logo on everything. its only about advertising for them. 
Photo of Brandon Mix

Brandon Mix

How do you know when there is an update David?
Photo of nspratt

nspratt

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So, we have updated our image backgrounds by URL on the VVX410s and it doesn't reset back to RC's image when the phone is rebooted. Maybe we are the exception here, but even after firmware updates etc the image stays... We did not turn off updates... Still would be nice to be able to push an image through provisioning using the RC website instead of manually one phone at a time.
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

if you Want to get the updates you can go back in and turn on the settings again about once a month but overtime you do this you will need to reset your background image.
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

there is no way to know when there is an update.
Photo of Jocelyn Aguilar

Jocelyn Aguilar, Employee

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi there, David. I am Joy, your Customer Success Advocate. 
We spoke last time about your RingCentral Phone System, i hope you still remember.
I understand that you need assistance with your service.
We can coordinate with our Technical Experts to seek resolution to your concern.
I emailed you just now, you may respond back with the best time we can talk tomorrow. I would love to speak with you.
Thank you and have an amazing day ahead.
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

@Kim @Brandon Mix Missing the Updates is not a bad thing. I have not recieved updates in 2 years and the last update I got caused an issue with one way audio on the phone after taking people off hold. this took ring central over a year to fix and there way of fixing this was to turn off my HD audio.  After turning off updates I have never had any more issues with thin gs going wrong. If its not broke why do you need to update it. 
Photo of David A

David A

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Deskphone: Allow removal or replacement of RingCentral ad on deskphones (Cisco).....

Why are we required to look at a RingCentral advertisement as wallpaper on our Cisco phones?  This isn't a requirement from any other provider.  The phone has the technical capability to put any graphic that we wish -- such as our company logo -- but we're required to look at yours instead.
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

Here is how you can Stop them from Putting there Add on your Phone.       

you Can Set the Back Ground on your Phone to anything you want I have been able to do this for years now.  All you have to do is log into your phone and turn off the Provisioning Provision Enable: No | Resync On Reset: No |  Resync From SIP: NO | Resync After Upgrade Attempt: NO  After you do that you can go to the user tab and set what ever image you want to the phone.  .. 
Photo of Customer Support

Customer Support

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
David, where and how do I turn off provisioning? 
Photo of Bjørn Jensen

Bjørn Jensen

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So this conversation has now been merged.  Great.  Is there a fix for this yet or was the merger just a way to make it look as if less people have the problem?
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

They Will not Fix this.  They want Every one to know who you do business with . so the only way to fix this it to turn off your Updates.  Here is how.  

you Can Set the Back Ground on your Phone to anything you want I have been able to do this for years now.  All you have to do is log into your phone and turn off the Provisioning Provision Enable: No | Resync On Reset: No |  Resync From SIP: NO | Resync After Upgrade Attempt: NO  After you do that you can go to the user tab and set what ever image you want to the phone.
Photo of Bjørn Jensen

Bjørn Jensen

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I saw your comment previously and it's seriously much appreciated.  However, it's just wrong that we have to turn off updates to be able to do this.  Wrong and ridiculous.
Photo of Orion Ryan

Orion Ryan

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Would like to be able to upload customer wallpaper to cisco spa-525g phone also
Photo of Joe Gottschall

Joe Gottschall, Champion

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You can configure a background on the Polycom phones that will survive a reboot. We accomplished this by putting an Ubuntu-based web server on the phone VLAN that was configured to serve a custom 320x240 jpeg image via a URL. Then just go into the phone preferences / background, select "Enter URL / File name stored in boot server" and in the Phone Image box, put the complete URL such as "http://x.x.x.x/pbg.jpeg" (where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your web server and pbg.jpeg is the name of your phone background image file)
Photo of YFinder

YFinder

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This works.  We just updated our background on the PolyCom VVX-411 and it remains through reboots.

We simply loaded the image onto our public facing website, inserted the file path to the image in the phone image box and done.

we have phones on multiple versions of firm ware.  Oldest is 5.4.2.6722 if it matters for anyone.
Photo of GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

• 742 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This does work and has worked for a long time, but only for Polycom phones (as far as I can tell), which is baffling because RC began supporting Yealink T46S AFTER Polycom phones. So why force the background image on Yealink phones and not on Polycom??? See my post below.
Photo of YFinder

YFinder

i didn't catch the Yealink portion.  Thought it was in general.  Glad we chose Polycom though in this case.  Although, our admin default pw keeps getting reset lol.  Always something I suppose.

GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

Yeah, that applies to ALL RC phones. Talk about security risk...
Photo of Ron

Ron

This would be a really nice enhancement to add moving forward to the admin console to allow corporate branding to be added to the phone system. 
Photo of IT Staff

IT Staff

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We require our own logo. After just converting to Ring Central, we are already looking for another provider. The audacity of Ring central to control what logo goes on my phones. I did not even purchase these phones through ring central. Based on their logic, I should get to put my logo on every phone in ring central because they are doing business with me!

This is not a minor issue, we corporate brand everything, we have a lot of outside customers in our offices and advertising for ring central is not something we want to do.

FIX THIS RING CENTRAL! Stop blowing us off or I will take my business elsewhere.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 66,140 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This might be possible. For a custom request such as this you will want to reach out to your Account Manager or CSM for further details.
Photo of Mark McDonough

Mark McDonough

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Saadet.  Can you clarify a little bit?  When you say "This" might be possible.  what are you referring to?  The ability for us to control and push a background image to all our users via our admin portal?

Thanks,
Mark

• 65,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Mark,

We may be able to push a custom logo/background image to a phone but there are many variables for the process which is why I would suggest reaching out to your account manager/CSM :) They would be able to verify everything. I wasn't given too many details on how it's done or what the criteria are.

Customer Support

Called the customer care, they said that they will open a ticket but how long it's going to take they don't know could be a month and could be 2 or more they don't know. This is a shame, since we pay so much money and on top of everything you tie our hands with contracts and this.... the logo. Unbelievable. 

Customer Support

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cisco SPA525G change wallpaper.

Hello, is there a way to change a wallpaper on a Cisco SPA525G. We did provision it however we don't want to see RingCentral logo on the screen each time we look at it, changing from menu has no effect. 

Thanks 
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello, I have a few options for you

Chuck
Certified RC Consultant
Chuck@yoritguy.com

Customer Support

what are they?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Email me so I could send you some information.

thanks

Chuck
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
ive been told like previous customers, "its not possible, without losing it after x,y or z", even if the phones are purchased from RC there was no way to make it happen, so if there is a way to add a logo to a purchased phone with out voiding my 1 year warranty, please let me know so i can pass it along to my customers as well.
Photo of Kevin Sailor

Kevin Sailor

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled wallpaper.

Why can't I load my own wallpaper on the phone I own?! CiscoSPA525G
I HAVE BEEN ON HOLD FOR 20 MINUTES...i think they hope i will hang up?!
Photo of [none]

[none]

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Would like to have, my business logo or to be able to change the phone wallpaper ....

Would like to have, my business logo or to be able to change
the phone wallpaper and screensaver on the cisco IP phone SPA525G.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
there's ways ive been told. whether you're up to doing it through a portal online and potentially having to do it anytime they update their firmware, is up to you. i think i explained at least one of the options / issues you may encounter should you find a way to change the background. 
Photo of Michael Macho

Michael Macho

I am also new to Ring Central.  I have a number of Polycom VVX400 and VVX601 touch screen.  I want to put the OUR company logo on the phones and not a blue screen.  Any ideas?  from all the messages I am not sure if the issue was fixed or not

• 66,140 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Michael,

For a custom request such as this you will want to reach out to your Account Manager or CSM for further details. For some phones, we can do this but you will have to verify if your phones meet the criteria.
Photo of IT Staff

IT Staff

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This still cannot be done! Just got off the phone with support and the only option is to turn off the phone sync. When you do that, you don't get firmware updates. Even though MANMY of us want this feature, Ring Central still has not implemented a fox for this.

GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

We should be grateful that RingCentral isn't also locking down the phone's ringtone.......................right?

On a related note, I changed the screensaver settings on our Yealink T46S and I was shocked to see that it kept the correct file for the screensaver wallpaper. HOWEVER, and here's the kicker, it changed the screensaver time setting back to 6 Hours. Why even bother forcing that setting when you're going to allow me to keep my screensaver wallpaper in the first place?

It just seems like RC is playing catch up with all the other HPBX providers and missing the mark on some important user and security features:

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/polycom-vvx-410-password-resets-to-default-on-e...

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/desktop-9-1-6-install-for-each-user

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/contacts-share-my-personal-contacts-with-all-us...

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/please-add-the-ability-to-forward-the-call-to-a...
(Edited)
Photo of Adrian Avila

Adrian Avila

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled UPLOAD COMPANY LOGO TO RINGCENTRAL PROVIDED PHONE.

1. Account type: US
  2. A brief description of the business: Law Firm 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: Upload Logo into Ringcentral provided Phone
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: Exposure
  5. Benefit of such feature: Brand Recognition
  6. Include any related case number if applicable: n/a
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 15
Photo of Greg Click

Greg Click

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We have 12 accounts with RingCentral, we are moving to Cisco 8861 phones, a few of our locations NEED this capability. MAKE THIS HAPPEN.