Network: settings up office Switch

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
We have two D-lInk DGS-1210-28P switches each connected to a TP-LINK Archer C9 router.  Our 10 RingCentral Polycom phones will be connected to one of the switches.  Any information on the best settings for the switch for the phones would be much appreciated.
Photo of RetiredFlyboy

RetiredFlyboy

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Nathan Malone

Nathan Malone, U.S. Tier 2 Support

• 4,720 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hello Flyboy,

The most important things on switches is to make sure that any kind of Green Ethernet or Energy Efficient Ethernet settings are disabled. These settings can drop the power output to the POE ports that phones are plugged into and cause all kinds of issues with phones.

If the switches have QoS settings you will want to make sure that you are giving your phone traffic the highest priority over the switches.

Click HERE to take a look at our network specifications page. It shows all the ports needed for our services as well as how to set ACLs, QoS, and bandwidth management rules. If possible you want to make sure that your Voice traffic is passing through ever piece of network equipment with the highest priority.

Thanks!
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 18,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I see those switches support LLDP and auto voice VLAN.  I would recommend configuring it to let the phones come up on their own VLAN and then at your router you should be able to prioritize that VLAN.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about switch based qos.  In my experience, it is extremely rare to see switch ports get so saturated that it makes any difference at all.  The router is the 'bottleneck' where you should try to prioritize voice.  Of course, once it hits the Internet it is out of your control anyway, but you can at least ensure you are prioritizing it on the way out.

FWIW, I don't consider that TP-LINK router to be a business class device. but if you have only a few phones it may suit your needs.  
Photo of RetiredFlyboy

RetiredFlyboy

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks guys for the quick responses, gives me something to work on.  Brandon, we used the TP-LINK router because it was one on RingCentral's recommended router document and readily available at a store very close.  I see there are no D-Link routers listed on their recommendations - I'll put you on the limb and ask for a recommendation for a Wireless Router for this small business application:)
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 17,294 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Being on the supported list is good and it should be fine.  It may not handle VLANs but appears to have some other ways to do qos.  How many phones, users and what Internet speed are we talking about?  I only recommend and sell Cisco ASA and Meraki so no suggestions besides that..