Show Outlook Contacts in RingCentral

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
Using RingCentral for Windows with the Outlook plugin and MS Outlook 365 for Windows (installed as version 2019, not the web application), contacts in Outlook are not visible in the RingCentral application.  The documentation suggests that they should be, but I cannot toggle the Outlook Plugin in the settings for RingCentral.  I've been told by tech support that this feature is "currently on works" and I should submit an idea, even though the documentation indicates that it should work.

This limitation means that I cannot see who is calling if the number is outside my organization and that I cannot directly call someone outside my organization.  It's a serious limitation that ought to be fixed right away.

Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of David Glowny

David Glowny

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I am able to successfully get my Outlook contacts to show up in RingCentral Phone 10.3.5.34099, after going into the settings under "Contacts" and enabling "View Outlook contacts". You'll also need to pick a contact folder to enable under "Select folder". Overall, this appears to be working fine, and you don't even need the plug-in.

(Edited)
Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

I'm using the same version of RingCentral, but View Outlook Contacts is grayed out.  If I hover over it, it says "Please install Outlook to enable the integration."  I have the latest version of Outlook, and the RingCentral plugin, installed.
Photo of David Glowny

David Glowny

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully someone from RingCentral can comment about that.

I'm using Outlook 2016, so that might be making the difference for me.

Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

I have already talked to them, they suggested that I create the idea. 

It's good to hear that it used to work. They made it sound like it was something that never was done.  This makes it more like a bug or a failure rather than a new idea, but I assume that RingCentral may disagree.  It sounds like changes since OL 2016 have broken it.
Photo of David Glowny

David Glowny

I share your frustration in general, because it seems like their tech support often wants to deflect bugs away and simply dismiss them as "feature requests". It's disappointing and discouraging.
(Edited)
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,710 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
If they don't know their own product, it's had to provide support.  Seems to me if the option is there (greyed out or not), than it's a feature they support.  At least, someone at RC supports it.  I would go back to them and if the person you talk to doesn't help, ask for a supervisor.  And if that person doesn't help, ask for a manager.  And so on to the CEO.  I've done that before, seems to get results (once I started with the CEO, he asked why I was calling him so I told him that if he couldn't get it fixed, nobody at the company could and I'd leave.  I got my problem fixed within 24 hours).  After all, YOU are the customer, YOU are paying their salary, YOU are in charge of whether they provide a service or not.
Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

I did point out that their documentation seemed to contradict what they told me.  We'll see what I get back.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 57,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Doug, I'm gonna follow up on this! I'll get back to you when I hear more :)
Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

Thanks!

• 57,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Doug! Could you get a screen shot of these settings?

Open Outlook, go to File > Options. Select Trust Center, select Trust Center Settings, select Programmatic Access
Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

No problem.

Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

I've been told by tech support that this feature is not supported for OL 2019.  Actually, they made it sound like it's a new feature requested for OL 2019 when in fact it's a feature that has existed for some time but no longer works in OL 2019.  And their documentation indicates that all versions past 2013 (I think) should work. If I downgrade to OL 2016 it should work.  They had no timeline on getting it done. They said hopefully this year. 

Edit:  I just heard that the plan is 2nd quarter of this year.
(Edited)

• 57,640 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Doug, our Engineering Team would appreciate it if you could submit a feedback email to them via the app, they'd like to look further into why the option is grayed out for you.

Photo of Doug Schaefer

Doug Schaefer

Done, but as I mentioned above, tech support has indicated that this is not available in Outlook 2019 but is in development and should be done in the 2nd quarter.