SMS from the Main Number

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: SMS: Texting to and from the Main Number

It would be great to be able to send and receive text  to and from the Main Number, rather then only being able to do it from the local numbers.
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,806 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I can on mine.  You might need to open a service ticket so they can activate it.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,806 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Oh wait - is your main number a toll free number?  Currently that's not available with RC.
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

No. it's regular number. I talked to technical support 3 times and they told me that they are working on this feature and it will be implemented shortly. But currently it's not possible. 
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,634 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Here is another related Feature Request that you can VOTE to request. Caller ID of SMS to show Main Number
(Edited)
Photo of Randy T.

Randy T.

• 1,276 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Beat me to it Danno. I have mine set that way as well.
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

So you guys can send and receive SMS from/to your main number? And where it goes? to direct lines? 
Photo of Randy T.

Randy T.

Using Windows softphone: Go to caller ID and click on it. There is a drop down menu for text. Mine has the option of my main number or my direct number. I chose my Main number.

Using Chrome extension: Go to the compose text option (the bubble with the plus sign in it). Click on it. To the right of Compose Mail there is a wheel, click on that.  There is a drop down menu to make your choise from. In my case, it is again the main number and the direct number.

In the mobile app: Go to application settings to set your caller ID. This should also set the line for your text.
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

How did you get this feature? When I'm going to caller ID in drop menu it gives me only one option - direct number. 
Photo of Randy T.

Randy T.

Not sure exactly, I don't know if it matters, but i have an Enterprise account. If that is the reason, a simple upgrade in account would take care of it. Otherwise, I'm as lost as you. Sorry.
Photo of Derrick Bozkurt

Derrick Bozkurt, U.S. Tier 3 Support

• 650 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Dispatch,

SMS messages to the main company number get delivered to your operator extension. 

In order to send and receive SMS messages to/from your main number, you would need to set the appropriate user up as the operator under your Auto-Receptionist settings.

Once this has been done, that user will be able to send and receive via your main number. 

Regards,
Derrick Bozkurt
Tier III Technician
(Edited)
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

Ok. But other users and direct lines will not be able to do the same? Right>
Photo of Derrick Bozkurt

Derrick Bozkurt, U.S. Tier 3 Support

• 650 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Correct. At this time, you may only assign one extension as the operator. We currently have a feature request open with our development team for future consideration on this matter. 

Now, you could get creative with email notifications for the inbound side of things. For example, forwarding the SMS messages to a specific email on file. However, that recipient would not be able to text back under the main number unless they were the operator. 

You could consider assigning that main number to a common extension your colleagues could share for inbound/outbound texting purposes, utilizing your advanced rules to still route the actual phone calls as desired.

These workaround depend greatly on your specific circumstances and needs. If you would like to discuss further, I would be happy to arrange a time to speak.

Derrick Bozkurt 
Tier III Technician
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

Please let me know if anything changes. We would really need other lines to be able to send text messages from main number. 
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Group SMS messaging.

to make it possible for all extentions to receive a text message sent to the main phone #
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.