SMS: Increase Maximum Character Limitation

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Are there any plans for Ring Central to increase the maximum number of characters that can be sent in a single text message, in the next version release of this application?  Our company has standard text messages that we send out on a regular basis that are larger than 160 characters.  We have no difficulty sending these messages out on Smart Phones, however in order to use Ring Central's SMS application it requires us to break these messages into several messages, which if not an efficient use of the tool.
Photo of Brian Plotkin

Brian Plotkin

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've changed this to an "Idea" topic so it gets reviewed by our Product Team. Anyone else who would like to see this limit increased please click the "Like" button. 
Photo of Will Quantrell

Will Quantrell

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hello Mike,  I am an upgraded RingCentral customer and really need to have the Character limit increased.  I'm using the SMS feature to remind people of an appointment and it is difficult at best to limit the message to 160 characters. ( this message over 225 characters). Thanks for putting this idea forward to the product team.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Thanks for chiming in Will.  Be sure to click the "like" button above if you haven't. 

Mike 
Photo of Allison Gaddy

Allison Gaddy

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We need this immediately! Our company is actually deciding on another phone system because of the 160 character limit. Very frustrating in the real estate industry! Sendhub, for example, has a ridiculously long character limit. We need this VERY soon. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your comments Allison.  Please (everyone) click the "like" button at the top of this page to show your support.
Photo of Barry Elk

Barry Elk, Champion

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Unlike the MMS capability that obviously adds complexity to both apps and transport - this idea could be a simple APP interface modification.  Simply allow the user to type as much as they want, parse the text into 160 character strings and transmit sequentially.  No MMS support required (although MMS is how most systems handle >160 character, some older phones and devices did it the way I described, so this isn't even "new" thinking.)

Get it on the roadmap - thumbs up everyone!
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,090 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Exactly Barry, you nailed it! "parse the text" (or divide the text) in groups of a limited number or characters. This can be done easily at the back side, without warning at the user and smoothly...
It is just a couple of line codes that any basic programmer can achieve...

Many times the most elegant solutions are more simple than you think.
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Foster

Kevin Foster

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We're supposed to have "Smart Numbers" that can differentiate fax vs. voice vs. text. This has to be simple to do in comparison...

The RingCentral system should be able to ping and find what device type it's sending messages to, and then decide what format to use. RingCentral end users shouldn't need to be burdened by the lowest common denominator in legacy tech, when the user base that is affected is a super minority.

We would like to use the RingCentral App to replace Skype for interoffice communication, but with the 160 char. limit, that's not anywhere close to feasible.
(Edited)
Photo of Donna

Donna

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Cannot recommend Ring Central for this problem.  But Ring Central has worse problems!  I have to find another solution.  Ring Central has a IOS problem.  Every time I get an incoming call or text the call I am on goes to hold.  They cannot fix it - this is unacceptable!  I got to find another service!

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Kevin, good point! Thanks for your comments. You may want to check out Glip https://glip.com

Claudio (Customer)

Great point Kevin! this interoffice approach has been taken from other software's, so it is technically possible and also could help to relieve the use of the broadband... a package of data of text, does not need to make the trip to the RC Servers all the way back and forth if my colleague is a couple of feet from my desktop and we can use our internal network (100/1000).
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,854 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Donna

Donna

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled text messages.

Text Messages are currently limited in size.  THIS IS WAY TOO SMALL.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE enlarge the capacity of the text message size ASAP!!!!

Claudio (Customer)

Donna, take a look on www.glip. com , RingCentral has purchased this company just some days ago. I expect to have a nice integration between this two solutions. Will be a powerful tool for our business.
Photo of Neha Arora

Neha Arora, Alum

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are working on increasing character limitation to 1000.

Thanks,
Neha Arora
Product Managment 
(Edited)
Photo of Chirag

Chirag

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Whats the status of this? Can you please give us an ETC.
Photo of Sonia Singh

Sonia Singh, Official Rep

• 1,100 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It's still planned and underway.  Unfortunately, we can't give a specific timeline until it's closer to rolling out.  We'll update this thread with more information as soon as we are able to.

Claudio (Customer)

Thanks Neha!, that means around 2.2 pages, sounds good. Please include MMS capabilities.
Photo of Barry Elk

Barry Elk, Champion

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
An interesting update (I think.)   I just got an inbound text to my RC number from a non RC mobile phone and the message was 976 characters long.  (see obfuscated screen shot attached.)  Perhaps RC is making some progress on this front - at least for incoming.  My RC app still has the good 'ol 160 character count down for outbound though.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,814 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just tested this and did not have the same results you did.  It still broke mine down into smaller sms and sent multiple ones... :-/

Can you duplicate this?  What version do you have? I have 7.3.1
Photo of Fractal Apps

Fractal Apps

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This, along with MMS support is critical
Photo of Ryan Phillips

Ryan Phillips

• 808 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Agreed
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,854 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
7.4 will be released soon, so be sure to check for the update over the next several weeks. 

(Edited)