SMS's disappearing on mobile app

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I rely heavily on SMS messaging through Ring Central.  I use the softphone mostly while in the office, and the mobile app when away from the office.  I have to reference these message quite often and having the full conversation is critical.  
I am using Ring Central Phone for Iphone (Iphone 8)
The mobile app randomly deletes all messages--so for example today I have several hundred messages in the softphone but if I look at my mobile phone, the oldest message I have is from less than an hour ago.  The app will go days where all messages are accessible, then randomly without an update that I can tell, all messages disappear but remain available through the softphone.  
The typical scenario is several ongoing text message conversations through the softphone while at work, I leave the office and need to reference the conversations but they are gone--I cannot do anything 
I and my business are now handicapped.
I have tried resyncing the message inbox, didn't restore any old messages.  
I have  all SMS messages backed up to a dropbox folder but they are not saved as strings, just saved as notes as they come in or go out so trying to piece the strings together is very time consuming and often not clear.  

Anyone have a similar problem and if so did you find a fix.  
Photo of Sales Line

Sales Line

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of LEARNING CENTERS

LEARNING CENTERS

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi, Sales Line. For your awareness (and perhaps a joint effort?), we have had similar experience as you; in our case 3+ years of SMS text messages began disappearing from our business accounts last month (and this issue continues today). In reviewing the matter with RingCentral support staff last week, a representative explained to us that RingCentral, needing to "improve" SMS system performance, recently imposed hard limits (some maximum number of messages per phone number).

With that said, support staff were (still are?) unclear as to the exact details of the newly imposed cap (e.g., whether this cap is for total messages sent or total combined messages sent and received before deletion begins, etc). Regardless (and worse yet), there is no way today to monitor your account's SMS message totals against RingCenral's newly imposed limits. In our case, we're still awaiting clarification from RingCentral as well as their intended corrective actions to restore such important customer correspondence for us.

While we await a proper resolution, as the mechanics of data limiting remain unclear and as RingCentral apparently implemented such without providing prior specific notice to all RingCentral customers and without providing recourse before enforcing these new data caps, we made a recommendation here: https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/implement-tool-to-monitor-and-alert-users-when-... -- for which your (as well as everyone's) vote would be appreciated as such a tool is essential and should have been in place BEFORE such service changes were made by RingCentral.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Please keep us posted as to what comes about in your case ... such would be appreciated!

Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 6,024 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sales Line, 

We've reached out to our System Engineers to follow up about this. In the mean time, depending on your account type, I would recommend checking out RC Archiver just to make sure everything gets backed up! 
(Edited)