Desktop App: Memory Usage too high

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed that the Softphone application gobbles up memory? My front counter PC is an average PC. Dual Core, 4GB of memory, hybrid hard drive. Lately I've noticed it was just dogging. HD light on constantly. All I ever really run on it is Chrome (very few tabs) and Quickbooks. So finally determined to figure out why it was so slow I start looking at the system internals and, well, come to find out the RC Softphone app was using TONS of memory:

I was floored by the memory consumption. And even idle, it was pinging the CPU for 3-10% on a regular basis. Needless to say, I disabled it on startup and recovered a nice chunk of RAM.
Photo of IT Xpress

IT Xpress

• 994 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,680 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yep, there's been a couple posts about this.  And it appears that most of the desktop phone apps eat up a lot of memory.  So it's not just RC, they all are hungry boogers. 

Photo of LakeFreak

LakeFreak

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem. I really don't understand how my ancient iPod or iPad 3 can handle it just fine and my hot computer (6 GB RAM; I7 processor) has so much of a memory chunk and cycles dedicated. Surely, this can be addressed and cleaned up. In my case, it is only one line and one user on the "system". I did the same thing with auto-start disable.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I've noted this as well.  The Softphone application is the single biggest memory consumer running on my PC.  It runs so slowly itself as to be next to useless, and drags down the entire system.

If other softphone apps suffer this, it is still no explanation for why it should demand such resources - especially when as noted above, the smartphone version of the app can offer the same functionality yet apparently without any of the bloated overhead.

Is this a priority for the developers to fix, and if not, how can it be made so?
Photo of Brad Bell

Brad Bell

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It shouldn't use this much system resource. In my mind it is either a bug (like a slow memory leak), or a design issue (e.g. with how it polls for activity). I hope they fix this because I would really like to use the desktop client again.
Photo of James Anderson

James Anderson

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why is Softphone.exe using so much RAM?.

Softphone.exe is using a ton of RAM. Why is it using so much? Currently, it is using 377,132 K of RAM. 

This is almost double the amount of RAM that Skype is using. 

Basic System specs:

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel i7 4790k CPU
  • NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 970
  • 16 GB RAM

Photo of nspratt

nspratt

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am experiencing this issue too. Currently @ 400+ MB Win7 8GB RAM. I will be pushing from other points of contact to have this fixed too.
(Edited)
Photo of James O'Donnell

James O'Donnell

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same problem here, when just running in the background not doing anything is using a minimum 280 MB of memory...

affects both windows 10 & 7, causing us some issues on the Agent Machines which only have 2GB of RAM running Windows 7.

Tested on an i7 machine with 8GB and its still slowing things up barely usable, this could obviously be designed to be more efficient. 
Photo of James O'Donnell

James O'Donnell

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Win 7 Machine, still quite high.... 
Photo of Brad Bell

Brad Bell

I have the same problem on my laptop and desktop both running Win 10. I have had to stop using the client because overtime (days) it continues to use more and more memory and I eventually get an error from Windows saying that memory is low and that some applications have to be closed.

When I close the desktop client the memory is not returned - my background is programming - and when this happens it is pretty obvious that the application has a memory leak.

I haven't had to worry about memory management since DOS days.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,934 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please VOTE in the upper right corner to request this app.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad Bell

Brad Bell

Hi Kim - I don't mean to be difficult, but it strikes me as odd to have to LIKE something as a feature when it is so clearly a bug. Many on this post may not understand software, but I was a lead software architect for 26 years for many software projects. This is either a bug (I believe a memory leak) or really really bad design. Either way, it isn't a feature request.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's true this is not necessarily a feature request, but it helps our Product Team prioritize projects. 
Photo of Brian Keys

Brian Keys

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
RingCentral was thrust upon employees at my company and there are many, many user complaints due to the high memory usage of this soft phone. 

I'm sporting 300-320mb typically while running the application.

Also, it's a disk space hog too. 727megabytes of local log files generated, when I have not spent more than an hour actually communicating using the application.
(Edited)
Photo of Derek Clark

Derek Clark

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We are currently noticing that the RingCentral Softphone Client is taking excessive amounts of memory. Is this problem under review with the developers ?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Derek,  the desktop app is constantly undergoing changes and memory usage is always being looked at. However there haven't been any recent changes that should cause any significant increase  

You can try clearing the app data folder as explained on this thread.  Clear App Data
(Edited)
Photo of John

John

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yesterday, softphone on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit laptop was running about 280 MB, plus 45 MB for softphonemapibridge.

So I checked it again this evening, and it was running about 320 MB plus the 45 MB.

So then I followed the instructions in the link to log out of softphone, exit softphone altogether, log into RingCentral online and deauthorize the computer, delete those two folders in the AppData > Local > RingCentral folder, and then re-launch and log in to softphone. After doing that, softphone memory usage increased an additional 22 MB up to 342 MB.

By the way, in the linked instructions, those two folders are erroneously referred to as "files," to wonder whether we are supposed to delete both of the two folders in that location, or just one of the two folders, or just two of the files in one of the two folders. And then only one of those two folders is pointed to in the screenshot for deletion, to wonder whether we are supposed to delete just that one folder, or both folders, or what. Plus, that one folder pointed to in the screenshot certainly contains far more than two files.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Yes. you can delete both folders. 
Photo of John

John

Thanks for that verification. Would have replied earlier, but just now saw your reply.
Photo of Tony Manzella

Tony Manzella

• 10 Points
I have also cleaned up folders under appdata and softphone.exe is presently using 384MB, plus another 55MB for softphonemapibridge.exe. It's absurd that this application uses more memory while at rest than a browser with a dozen tabs open. Can some engineer please explain this? Is there some buffer being held just in case I make a 14 hour phonecall? Some porky library that you can't avoid using? Feel free to blame Microsoft, but tell us what it is. This is not normal.
Photo of LakeFreak

LakeFreak

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
And the beat goes on........ still on my list for them to get fixed.
Photo of Randy Boyd

Randy Boyd

• 394 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

just for comparison sake.  I've got a 8mb, 64bit, Windows 7 with an i5.

Softphone.exe consumes 200M.  We're  running version 8.3.5.24028

This is right in line with Skype (personal) and Skype for business, which I also have running.  (as well as in line with what Excel consumers and each separate instance of Chrome.)

Photo of John

John

For me, softphone has now, on it's own, gone from the 342 MB of seven days ago down to 164 MB during the past few days. I have no clue what caused the reduction.
Photo of Robin Taylor

Robin Taylor

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

After running for a few days...

After ending it and restarting it before even logging on

It's a greedy hog! :/

(Edited)
Photo of EPalombizio

EPalombizio, Champion

• 1,542 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Does anyone else notice response lags when using this application with the Outlook plugin enabled?
Photo of John

John

Yes.

We have response lags, anyway, unless we make or receive calls frequently enough during the day to keep it "awake." Not sure what would fix that. Having more than 4GB ram might help.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
(Edited)
Photo of mg

mg

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Memory usage is way too high for an application not even being actively used.
Photo of EPalombizio

EPalombizio, Champion

• 1,542 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
FWIW, in my situation, the RC Desktop app severely slowed down a client system when the Join Now functionality was enabled for my Outlook Calendar. If I have this functionality disabled, the desktop application runs just fine without bogging down the system.

My RAM usage sits around 300MB when the application is idle, but as others eluded to, naturally having more RAM headroom helps.

Hopefully this Join Now functionality will be fixed in future releases of the RD Desktop App
Photo of Debbie L

Debbie L

• 68 Points
Thanks for mentioning the Join Now option. When I set it to "Switched Off" the app stopped draining my system.
Photo of Clewis

Clewis

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem with the RAM usage on a Win10 device. Its so bad I don't even use the softphone unless I have to. PLEASE FIX!
Photo of Jason Skowronek

Jason Skowronek

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
RC, 250-400MB usage for an app that should be in idle mode most of the time is ridiculous. Please fix your client memory leaks.

Win 10 Ent.
16GB RAM
500GB HDD

(Edited)
Photo of Brian Keys

Brian Keys

@Jason, while I agree that this application uses up way too much memory, in all correctness, this is not an indication of a memory leak. 
Photo of Jason Skowronek

Jason Skowronek

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You are correct. Memory leak would imply consuming ALL my system memory w/o end. How about poor memory management? Poor application optimization?
Photo of Brian Keys

Brian Keys

Sure, all of the above! BLOAT
Photo of Erik Stein

Erik Stein

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
still no fix on the latest update?
why oh why
Photo of Christopher Rhea

Christopher Rhea, Employee

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Our customer Mark with eFolder is reporting a similar situation noting that the Desktop app for PC is pulling 30% CPU usage on his Win 10 i5-6400T machine. His request is that we try to make the App run leaner on resources for future releases.
(Edited)