Support for threaded conversations

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
When an org depends on Glip conversations to handle all sorts of matters throughout the day, it's easy to loose a thread in the current schema.  

Add support for threaded conversations, please.  This will be understandably difficult given the variety of platforms you're supporting.  I'm not sure what it will even look like.  Perhaps you could simply have two places in each conversation to write: replying to a prior comment or starting a new comment.  Whenever someone replies to an older comment, that whole thread becomes the latest message, maybe simply appearing as two comments, first and last, connected by ellipses.  Click on this and you actually open a sub-version of the current room.  So if you started in the "Marketing" room and click on the sub-thread, you enter a new room called "Marketing - Don Knotts 3/4/18 3:34" unless Don renames his thread.

Good luck with this one and its design.  Really hopeful you'll do something for threaded conversation support in 2018.
Photo of Richard Case

Richard Case

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • hopeful, eager, wishful

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Daniel Dolinov

Daniel Dolinov

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Seconding this request.  My company is just starting to use Glip, and I can see how a Team chat can get really confused.  Having the ability to have conversation threads will make the tracking of what is being said and in connection with what, much easier.
Photo of Lorelei Matteson

Lorelei Matteson

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes. SLACK has this option. It works like this: within the team there is a message; each individual message has an option to create a thread. this creates a sub-message in the same place but eliminates others in the team, if they do not need all the notifications but also have the option to be involved in that side conversation. So what I did in Slack was start a message by naming it the topic of what the sub-message needed to be, to be found easier in the future, and anyone wanting to follow they can. SLACK has the market on the messaging thing, I miss some of the features for sure!! THREADS!!!
Photo of Andy Baumruk

Andy Baumruk

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
it's why we are sticking with Slack even though we've moved over to RC for our communications.  Kind of frustrating as the having everything in one place was why we chose RC vs another VOIP provider.   The RingCentral app is just not ready for prime time IMO
Photo of Noelle Rivers

Noelle Rivers

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We now regret switching from Slack because Glip does not have this feature.  We miss a lot because the chat gets so cluttered.  Considering switching back.
Photo of Michael Seymour

Michael Seymour

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
There are lots of examples of threaded discussion functionality on the internet.  Even this feedback forum has threaded discussions!  (we can comment on a post and the comments are shown with a grey background and each discussion topic is separated by a line).  Please include threaded discussions in your Chat product urgently!!!
Photo of Melanie Stringer

Melanie Stringer

• 72 Points
YES!!!  Urgently or my company is going to have to switch also!
Photo of Leisa Lance

Leisa Lance

• 438 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Quote and @ mentioning is not a sufficient workaround.  We have a lot of developers in our team who live and breathe Slack and will not change readily without this feature.

Photo of Luciano Deriu

Luciano Deriu

I agree with the others. This feature/behaviour in Slack is crucial for a multi-skilled/agile team because there are technical conversations happening between developers that non-techies don't want to be involved in, but often technical discussions require product involvement at somepoint to help understand requirements, etc. It's never perfect but it works very well in Slack and keeps the main channel cleaner than it is possible in Glip.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy

Andy

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yep, totally agree with the sentiments above.  
Photo of NHE Inc

NHE Inc

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This  should be a feature in Glip.  Without this team view gets very clutter.  
Photo of Chris Rosa

Chris Rosa

• 1,406 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Working on a new deployment, and adoption is going to be tough without this feature. Please add asap. Thanks.
Photo of Noelle Rivers

Noelle Rivers

Please, please, please add threaded replies!  We are missing so much and engagement is WAY down as a result.
Photo of Aaron Murgatroyd

Aaron Murgatroyd

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My company just started to use Glip, and we miss the threaded conversations of Teams, please add this as soon as possible :)
Photo of Angela Chilcott

Angela Chilcott

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I would say I second this... But it appears as though I thirteenth+ this. Please add this functionality to Glip. 
Photo of Barry Elk

Barry Elk, Champion

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
As an agency, we often have to work in client's environments (you know like the other big chat provider...) and I have to say code snippets (now implemented - YAY!) and threading are the two things that still set that product apart.  Otherwise, we prefer Glip/RC in all other aspects and are happy with it as our internal productivity platform!
Photo of Paul Pecullan

Paul Pecullan

• 498 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Threaded conversations In Glip are desperately needed.
Photo of Keith Lazarus

Keith Lazarus

• 900 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Saadet & company - any word on this feature request?  Are the rumors that it is in development true?  Any estimates on when we might be able to see something released?

Imagine if this forum didn't provide it's limited form of hierarchy - what a mess it would be trying to following a conversation.  That's exactly what us Glip users have to deal with on a daily basis. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 65,276 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Keith, I haven't heard of Threaded Conversations coming this year. I've heard the idea being thrown around but nothing official at this time. If that changes, I'll let you all know here :)
Photo of Keith Lazarus

Keith Lazarus

Thanks, Saadet - both for your reply and for the effort you and your colleagues make in keeping us informed.  I really wish that the Product Management was a bit more pro-active in sharing their vision for the tool. 
Photo of NHE Inc

NHE Inc

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Threaded conversations are needed in Glip.  like many people in this thread, moving to Glip would be possible with this feature.  Without threaded conversation thought, so much is lost in the shuffle.
Photo of Vlad Ivanov

Vlad Ivanov

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is this on a roadmap? Our organization just migrated to Glip from Google Chat - and boy is threading something that you don't know you'll miss it until it's gone....

Request is at least a year old - and I am not seeing any response here from the company. Is this forum an appropriate vehicle to get a response from the product team or is there some other way to get their attention?

• 66,334 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Vlad, it's not on the roadmap for this year. If it's something that does make it to the roadmap in the future, I'll post an update here :)
Photo of Vlad Ivanov

Vlad Ivanov

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Saadet! Thank you for your reply! Does getting more upvotes influence the urgency and priority? I can ask our team to lean hard on that upvote button.

Chat is a cornerstone that makes our distributed team workflow work for us. At any given time we have multiple conversations happen between multiple people in the same room - as it works right now, it's reminiscent of IRC in mid-nineties.
Photo of Keith Lazarus

Keith Lazarus

Saadet,  It's good to see you referencing the roadmap.  Is the roadmap something that is being (or can be) shared so that members of the community can get a feel for what's coming along and manage our users' expectations?

Hey Vlad! Votes are always helpful :) But there are other things that affect when/if a request is implemented. I regularly share reports about Ideas to the Product Team and then they let me know what is coming in future releases. 

Hey Keith, at this time we do not have a public roadmap for customers to view.
Photo of Matt Shipley

Matt Shipley

• 60 Points
Threading.  Please.  (Thank You.)
Photo of Richard Case

Richard Case

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi @Saadet,
As a product manager myself, I know design (i.e., how to integrate) can be really challenging.  If I were juggling all the OS UXes you're juggling, I can image the enormous scope of change being something that holds this feature back.  

Obviously the demand is HIGH.  So is the difficulty.  Still, this is worth the investment, says this user :) 

Here's a thought: I bet you have a number of smart and willing users who would be willing to help think-tank through how RC would look and work with threaded conversations added (professionals who know that it's not as simple as it might seem).  Maybe you could crowd-source a little and have a conversation with these users.  Most users don't understand design challenges but some do.  

Let us know what we can do to help!

Rick

Hey Richard!

Thanks for being understanding, our Product Team appreciates it :) 

This feature is on their radar but there are no solid plans, that they've told me. However! I'm sure that if the time comes, they would love to know that people such as yourself would like to get involved in beta testing and such. I'll let them know :)
Photo of Melanie Stringer

Melanie Stringer

• 72 Points
Sounds good.  I hope they understand the importance of this feature.