Template: Set Outbound Caller ID to be the User's Direct Dial Number

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
In an effort to reduce the call volume hitting our receptionist desks, we are encouraging our users to begin publishing their DID numbers to their contacts.  Currently,outbound caller ID is set to display the main number for each office, but I noticed under each user's account, their DID number is reflected in the outbound caller ID drop down list as “Phone Line.” Unfortunately, the system does not allow administrators to create a template to globally change user’s outbound caller ID to their “Phone Line” number.  Seems like a simple option to make available since the DID is uniquely labeled for each user.
Photo of Rick Cruz

Rick Cruz

• 580 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,366 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-08-15   Depending on  what level of account you have, and how many users, I think you can make the request to get RingCentral set them for you.   

It really would make more sense to make this a default setting instead of making the Admin set each one individually for every user 6 times.  We have one DID for every user, and had to get them all corrected.      
Photo of Luis Sanchez

Luis Sanchez

• 866 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How many upvotes before they implement this feature? It doesn't matter for me. It looks like I'll be spending the next few hours manually updating everyone. However, it would be nice for new customers.  Two years and counting since this has been first requested.  
Photo of Ottis Compton

Ottis Compton

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Outbound caller ID Line setting available for global setting or through template.

Feature Request
We would like each user to display their direct dial number no matter if it is from the phone or one of the 8 different feature areas.  Currently the only way to set this is to either contact Ring Central and have them perform the updated or go in to each individual user and change possibly 9 settings for each user and save the changes.  As you can see it doesn't take many users to make this a real issue.  If the phone line variable could be available in the template area it would be much easier for this to be applied to all users.
Photo of Dustin Karnes

Dustin Karnes

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Templates: Unable to set caller IDs to Site main number.

1. Account type  - US
  2. A brief description of the business - Surgical Company
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested - Need to be able to set a caller ID in a template to the main number assigned to a site when sites are setup within RingCentral
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature - I have 30 users to setup and cannot set their caller ID to the main number of the site they are part of which causes a legality issue for us, I have to depend on each user to set the caller IDs correctly and not change them because of this
  5. Benefit of such feature - See above
  6. Include any related case number if applicable
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines - 100+ users on my account that need this feature
Photo of Lee

Lee, Champion

• 3,192 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Dustin's post is the exact opposite of this thread and should not have been merged. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 65,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If "Site" to Dustin is a User Extension, which it sounds like it is, then this was merged to a similar thread. 
Photo of Lee

Lee, Champion

• 3,192 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
This thread is to set the user extension to the line number in a template. Dustin is trying to set his extensions to the main number of the physical location. Sorry, it just seemed like the opposite thing to me.  
Photo of Dustin Karnes

Dustin Karnes

Lee is right - I meant site (as stated), not user extension. This is not at all the same thing.

My apologies, Dustin. Were you referring to the Multi-Site feature? Or something different?
Photo of Dustin Karnes

Dustin Karnes

Its ultimately for the multi-site feature. Once a number is set to a site, I can no longer set that number as the caller ID for users via a template.

Gotcha! Someone actually just posted a similar request yesterday. Please vote if it's the same thing you are looking for. If not, I'll Fork your response to its own thread again.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew Hall

Andrew Hall

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So is there any update on this?
Photo of Ben Stutzman

Ben Stutzman

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Setting outgoing caller ID in a template.

Need a way to set outgoing caller ID to use the user's phone number.  It is very annoying that it defaults to the main line and that I need to change it in 7 places so all outgoing calls user the user's phone number.  This should be added to templates.
Photo of David Oberschlake

David Oberschlake

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is basic system functionality that should be available and able to be managed from the admin portal on the fly.
Photo of Joe Case

Joe Case

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I too would benefit greatly from this feature
Photo of Ruslan Allahverdi

Ruslan Allahverdi

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Definitely! MUST HAVE option!
Photo of Andrew Hall

Andrew Hall

Is there any movement on this issue? Ran into a reporting issue since some users entered a RC Meeting with a company number that was not their direct number. Please update us!

Hey Andrew, I'm not aware of an ETA :( but I'll follow up with the Product Team on this and see if that's changed. I'll post back if they have an ETA for this feature

• 66,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Good news, all!

This feature is scheduled to be added in our 19.3 release (as long as all goes well). You can ask your Account Manager when your account is scheduled for the release :)
Photo of Andrew Hall

Andrew Hall

Thank you for the follow-up! Cheers!

• 66,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You're very welcome :) Have a good weekend!
Photo of Admin ARS

Admin ARS

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Template feature : outgoing caller id.

During roll out, before phone number porting, a temporary phone number is given to the user. This number must not be shown.
After phone number porting, the temporary phone number is replaced by the former user's number.
This number can be shown, as the site number or the company number.

It should be interesting to be able to create template to define to outgoing call id when want to use (Blocked, Direct Line, Site Line, Enterprise Line) thru all phoning solutions (web, smartphone, deskphone, ...).