Terminating Users and Keeping Their Phone Numbers

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
We just had two users terminate. How can I delete their accounts without losing their numbers? I want to be able to assign their numbers to someone else in the future.
Photo of Diadra Bendixen

Diadra Bendixen

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Lee

Lee, Champion

• 2,930 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Diadra, You can disable the account, then delete it. The number will be kept and become an unassigned  user extension.  Then you can create a new extension when you are ready and send out the invite.
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

• 942 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Lee, If the account is disabled and then deleted, will historical data/info be lost (voicemail, call recordings, call logs, etc.)? I have the issue with people coming and going and would like to reassign the same extension to the replacement employees, but it does not seem to be as simple as changing the name and email address info. I ran into seemingly cross-linked info when I tried that the first time. So, for now, because I am afraid I will lose the aforementioned info, I disable the old user, create a new extension, and then move the number of old user over to the new. Eventually I will delete the original extension/user and then reuse extension at a later time. If there is a better way that I can just rename the user, keep the old user's data, and just continue on with the new user on original extension, please enlighten me. Thanks.  
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 51,802 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Correct, deleting the User extension will get rid of the voicemails and call recordings - which is why we suggest backing things like that up before deletion.
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

Saadet, I just "discovered" the Archiver option while doing some maintenance. Is that the backup you suggest? I know I can save individual voicemails, etc, but it looks like this method will sync to my cloud backup of choice (those listed) any of the items I check off and the process will be automated.

Also, this method seems to suggest a SYNC scenario, rather than a real backup. I only say that because the option tab is named "Sync Options". Is that correct, or is it really a backup and not a sync, which is subject to change if I delete something from RC web app or other?

Lastly, related to this, is there a way to login (Super User) "As User xxxx" to archive/link the the individual users to my cloud location of choice (or do anything else they can only do logged in as themselves)? Right now it seems that I have to login using user's credentials and do them all individually. I would rather be able to turn the function on for all users at once, but it doesn't look like this is possible - and it looks like the user can disconnect the link at any time, which kind of defeats the purpose of backing up. There does not seem to be a way to prevent that that I can see in user roles.

I am sorry that this has morphed into almost a topic of itself and I wouldn't be surprised If this needs to be moved to its own post.  

LOL, no worries! Let me follow up on some of your questions to verify the answer :)
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

Hey Saadet,

Just an update on one part of this archive issue... I activated the sync on two users to start, and see that call recordings (that is all that is being used right now) are now showing up in Google Drive as separate user files under the RingCentral Archiver folder. That is what I expected, but is a surprise! Apparently, you only need to enable the sync for 1 user and it starts syncing everyone in the company. In my case, that is great since I don't have to go in and enable everyone individually. But I can see why for someone else that doesn't want hundreds or thousands synced, that could be a problem. Just passing it on in case this is not normal behavior, but if it needs to changed, then please put the option in to choose all accounts to apply to like in other areas of RC - thanks!

Ah gotcha. It could be that when you set up the Archiver, you did so under the System Mailbox extension - which is the original Super Admin extension that was created when your RC account was made. Just a thought, I'll see if I get a response on that question to verify!
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

Well, that would make sense if I had done it from the Super Admin account, but I didn't that I recall. The first one I did was from a custom restricted user account. However, the second one was from my account (I am also the super admin). I checked and see that the super admin login shows the Archiver connected, even though I don't think I did it from there. Is it possible that when I did it from my personal account that, also being the known admin (by RC), it automatically activated it there and thus turned it on for everyone - even though all other users are still not showing connected? I CAN confirm that other unconnected user's calls are slowly appearing in the Google Drive folders along with the 2 connected ones.

Hey Bond007DMC,

I spoke with an Engineer and they provided me with the following information:

If an Admin logs into the online portal using the admin number then he will see an alert in the Archiver section stating that he is archiving for all users as an Admin. He would be able to enable archival for all users he manages. The only limitation now is he can only archive call recordings for his managed users

So basically, if you set it up while logged into the Super Admin extension, then you are able to set it up for the Users on your account but will only see certain information.
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

OK, thanks for getting back to me on this. Although I don't think I was logged into the SA extension, I could have been, but all users calls in the company are being synced/backed up (did you find out which it really was?), so I am happy.

I don't know because I am the only one administering the company right now, but I assume that the super admin automatically manages all users, whereas a regular admin can pick who they want to manage?

Forgot to mention, yes, it is backing up! They're going to change the wording in order to avoid this confusion soon ;)

Super Admins can monitor all Users. User Group Managers, only monitor specific people. So, I'm thinking you set it up as the former :)
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

Ok, great! Well, someone else originally set this up for us, but I do believe you are right. Ahh, user group managers - will have to check this out...
Photo of Diadra Bendixen

Diadra Bendixen

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Seems like that worked! The numbers are now under the "Unassigned" tab. Thank you very much for your help :)