Caller ID of SMS to show Main Number

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Outgoing Text Message Caller ID

We would like the caller ID on outgoing texts to be able to be the main number for all extensions for the desktop and mobile app.  Right now the only one who can use the main number is the operator.  This is the number all our clients know, so we want the outgoing ID to be the main number for all extensions if we choose to do so.
Photo of Myers

Myers

• 1,132 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Robert Estrin

Robert Estrin

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We would also love to have this feature. Is it possible now?
Photo of Amanda Wendorf

Amanda Wendorf

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
No, our direct lines are showing. Try to get this idea more votes so they will make it happen.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,596 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, please allow outbound caller ID for SMS to have the same options as voice calls.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please VOTE in the upper right corner to request this feature.
(Edited)
Photo of Eliot Houman

Eliot Houman

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is a very important feature that our firm also needs.
Photo of MikeBGrandRapids

MikeBGrandRapids

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We need this too, is it available yet?  I don't want people calling back on my direct number.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Mike- the Operator can send an SMS out from the main number at this time. And any SMS that come inbound to the main number, get routed to the Operator. 

[Note: Toll Free numbers cannot receive SMS]
(Edited)
Photo of Trudy Tran

Trudy Tran

• 652 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You can show detail about Operator?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,958 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Trudy...I don 't quite understand what you are asking here. Can you be a little more specific? What kind of detail do you want to show? Who are you describing as an "Operator"? Is that a user or a receptionist you are referring to?
Photo of Paul Cashen

Paul Cashen

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Show company name on sending out text messages.

allow company name to show up when sending out SMS
Photo of Arty

Arty, Employee

• 640 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS OUTBOUND CNAM- have outbound CNAM when sending text messages RC mobile/deksto....

Ability to show outbound Caller ID name when sending  text message from the Mobile application and the RingCentral desktop application
Photo of John

John

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
SMS messages cannot be received by the main number if the main number is a toll free number.

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/toll-free-to-receive-and-fwd-sms?topic-reply-li...
Photo of VBA Scheduling

VBA Scheduling

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled multiple devices log in as main number on the mobile app.

All users should be able to send and receive SMS using the main number as the caller id. We are thinking if all of them can just log in as the operator extension, therefore they can use the main as caller id for sending text messages. 
Photo of JIM Reynolds

JIM Reynolds

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This would be a big benefit to my company. We have seven offices with numbers that are well known by our customers, referral sources, vendors, and employees. We want any SMS messages to come from those numbers, not from a random desk phone number.
Photo of Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Main number as caller ID for SMS text messages.

The developer decision to disable my ability to use my main number as the caller ID for SMS messages was a bad decision. Please re-enable this capability immediately. My clients now have no idea where a text message is coming from when I send them a message!! This decision is maddening!!
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 65,618 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Joseph,

If you're referring to the SMS Drop Down Menu Option please see my response on this thread.
Photo of Adam Elsheemy

Adam Elsheemy

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
how will you manage the replies? will all replies then go to the main number? wouldn't that be insane for front desk? 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,366 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-02-13   We have thousands of users

This requested feature should be a User Preference check box or radio button type toggle on/off to be set by Admin or SuperAdmin at the account level ---- it would not work for us.   

We do not want USERS to be able to choose this option. 

Each user in our organization has a dedicated direct line and this is what currently displays as their outgoing TXT SMS Caller ID.

That way any replies to their messaging routes directly to them and NOT to the main number, which is the busiest number out of all our numbers all the time.  

This is not a one-size fits all solution as proposed.
Photo of Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

NOT AT ALL. We are a small company. What I am asking is that the user be given the ability to choose between the caller ID being the main number or the direct dial number of the user. That way a small company like mine can use the main number where it wouldn't ne an issue to have replies come back that way. In a larger company the user can select the direct dial number so that the front desk wouldn't get them. Just restore the original setting where the user can choose either the main number or the direct number the same way we can for outgoing calls.
Photo of Suzanne Kilner

Suzanne Kilner

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
When was this feature disabled?  In the last couple of days? 

My organization relies on it tremendously as we run a 7-24 operation and need to ensure that we are able to respond and have continuity on the text messages regardless who is working. 
Photo of Suzanne Kilner

Suzanne Kilner

I just spent over an hour on the phone with Ring Central Support this afternoon.

They have escalated this issue specifically on our account after confirming that they saw that the feature was there and then disappeared.   It is unclear when it will (or if it can be) re-enabled.   

Suggest that each company call in and escalate so that it can  *hopefully* be more quickly addressed, especially if there are several escalations.    Its unclear if this feature just *disappeared* (as by accident) or if it was specifically removed. 
Photo of Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

I was told by a tech support person today that the developers removed it. It is clear that the developers have no idea how important this issue is from a marketing standpoint. It is a critical issue to me and how quickly it is rectified will determine how long I continue as a RingCentral customer.
Photo of Suzanne Kilner

Suzanne Kilner

Did they provide any reason as to why it was just removed ?   Generally one shouldn't remove features that you have specific "how to " articles on. Sigh.   Product Marketing and Product Management --- can you respond on this please ?  Community Manager:  Can you escalate this please and ask Product Management to review these posts ? 

Thank you.  
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 66,334 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Suzanne and Joseph,

The ability to SMS on behalf of other numbers is not gone completely. In order to text from a different number you have to have more than one number assigned to your extension. Whichever number is on your extension, you can SMS on behalf of.

Now, if you want to SMS on behalf of any number under the Auto-Receptionist (this includes the main company number) your extension will have to be listed as the Operator Extension.

If I have misunderstood the question, please, let me know.
Photo of Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

Hi Saadet and all: I was able to speak with Glazel in tech support today and she solved my problem. Because we are a small operation, I am able to assign my extention as the "operator" extension. Once that is done, my main number will continue to go through the auto attendant and I can select it as the caller ID for SMS messages in the dropdown list on a new SMS message. I can't designate it as the default for all text messages from my extension because my extension has a different number assigned (that is what the developers took out) but I can still use the main number as the caller ID on a case by case basis. I just have to remember to do so, which is a bit of a pain, but it isn't a dealbreaker for me. Hope this helps.
Photo of Erin Van Horn

Erin Van Horn

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS outbound to caller id set to main number.

We would like our text messages to come from the main number.
Photo of Amanda Wendorf

Amanda Wendorf

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please allow our outbound text messages to show the main number.
Photo of Georgiana Lee

Georgiana Lee

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This is a very important feature that our business also needs. The direct number is an out of state number. It causes a bit of suspicion from our customers. Please fix this asap.
Photo of Suzanne Kilner

Suzanne Kilner

Figured out a work around which works for my company ...with some limitations.  

In our case we have a queue group that we want everyone (3 of us) in the queue to be able to text from.  (this ability to set the outbound caller ID to the queue number stopped  at the same time the ability to choose the main number disappeared.).  

We each  og into Ring Central Chrome client using the queue group extension.  We can choose the line we want to text from (we have several associated with our queue group).  the texts will go to every client logged in - although there can be some  timing delays between sending and it showing up on others computers.  We avoid tripping over each other as we have one main person who handles texts.  We have one person who typically handles most of the texts.   

We then use the Regular Ring Central Client on our PC's, mobile phones etc.  Downside is that we need to use our computers to text --- but in our business, someone is in front of their computer most of the time.  

Its not a perfect solution by any means, but it makes life a bit simpler.  

Summary:  We log into Chrome Ring Central Plug/in / Extension using the Main Number + Queue group extension and text from there. 

We use the regular ring central desktop clients on all other devices to log into our regular extensions. 

Good luck ! 
Photo of Ryan Sautman

Ryan Sautman

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for sharing your work around.This just sounds crazy though! I just signed up for Ringcentral and am already having doubts if I made the right decision...I just don't understand why they would have removed this option...
Photo of Ryan Sautman

Ryan Sautman

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
 I just signed up for Ringcentral and am already having doubts if I made the right decision...I just don't understand why they would have removed this option...Having the freedom within a company to do this just makes sense. Why would they remove something that makes perfect sense to leave in.
Photo of Adib Delos Santos

Adib Delos Santos, Employee

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Main SMS number is not showing up.

This is related to an Article about  Caller ID of SMS to show Main Number

We would like the caller ID on outgoing texts to be able to be the main number for all extensions for the desktop and mobile app.  Right now the only one who can use the main number is the operator.  This is the number all our clients know, so we want the outgoing ID to be the main number for all extensions if we choose to do so.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.