Text Message and iOS

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
I am a US account and update too the new Ring Central app.   Honestly I can't find anything here   It is they most illogical organized GUI I have ever seen...  Unable to find the text messages that show on my Desktop.    Every update seems to make it harder to use and bring more phone spam
Photo of jason Hirsh

jason Hirsh

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 13,688 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jason, 

Text messages are under the "Call" tab and then "Text". I don't believe the app will download old texts, but it will display all texts going forward. 
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 6,394 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Seems counter-intuitive, and is inconsistent with the desktop app.  I just submitted an Idea to allow texts to be seen on the Message tab on mobile.
Photo of J Euphrat

J Euphrat

• 62 Points
Worst update ever ... wasting valuable work time on a simple text. Can’t find anything
Photo of M. Hardy

M. Hardy

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The more I learn about the "unified" app, the worse it gets. My "text history" is as important as old emails. For some contacts, ALL I HAVE is an old text from them.

Apparently, once I move to the new app, I am going to lose all of this? This is the worst service "improvement" since New Coke.
Photo of jason Hirsh

jason Hirsh

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I will have to say recent change have made Both the desktop app and iOS equally confusing,..   thank goodness I am not trying to run a business through they Morass
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

@Jessica would it be appropriate to put in an Idea to have Glip pick up the text history from RC Phone?  Would seem to be a good transition feature.

Hey Bob, 

Product is aware of this ask, I don't think an idea would be necessary in this instance. 
Photo of Bello

Bello

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
when you say call log, and then text, where exactly are the text messages?  i dont see where there are any text messages on the web portal or the app.glip.com.  the only place i see text messages is on the iphone app RC phone, not the ringcentral app.
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

• 4,092 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hello Bello!

Text messages are not available on the web portal but it is available on Glip App. On the bottom left corner, you will see a Phone tab and it is labeled as Call. Once you click it, you will see a tab that says Text.
Photo of Bello

Bello

there is no phone tab labeled as call.  i see message, meet, contact, tasks and more
Photo of Bello

Bello

i see text messages on the rc phone app on my phone but i dont see them on the app.glip.com website?
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

May I know what did you use to login? Is it your email or your RingCentral phone number?
Photo of Bello

Bello

RingCentral phone number
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Your Admin may need to enable Phone Features for your RignCentral App. If you are the admin or you can contact the admin, you may check this link for the instructions on how to enable Phone Features. 

https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/8811?language=en_US

Let me know if you have further questions.
Photo of Bello

Bello

hi Mary, i am the admin and i apologize but i do not see anywhere for administration.  i clicked on the link above and that image is not familiar at all.  i am logged onto the website and i can choose admin portal or my extension and i am looking everywhere for company settings and do not see that either?
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Bello, you can see that on app.glip.com. Once there, look on the upper right of your screen and you will see your Profile Icon or Name Initial.
(Edited)
Photo of Bello

Bello

thank you, i see it on the app
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

To add to the fun on iOS, we found a new twist today with iOS and RingCentral.

If you use RingCentral to text someone on iOS, and the recipient has a contact record that includes both the sender's iPhone number and their RingCentral number, when the recipient replies, the response will go to the person's iPhone, NOT to the RingCentral app.  I'm guessing that iOS decides that if the response can go via iMessage, then it should do that, regardless of the source of the message?

Hi Bob, 

I followed up with product with this. Could you answer these questions for them: 
  • Is the recipient' number the native mobile phone number ?
  • Does the recipient reply use the native app to reply ?
  • What background color is the reply message?
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• Is the recipient' number the native mobile phone number?
    Yes
  • Does the recipient reply use the native app to reply?
    They are just using iOS "Messages"
  • What background color is the reply message?
    No idea
The sender is the RingCentral user.  He sends the SMS using the desktop app (likely RC Phone at this point, but possibly Glip).  The recipient does not have RingCentral and is just an iPhone user who has a contact record in their phone that has both the sender's cell number and RingCentral number.

This is iOS deciding the best way to respond based on what it sees for the sender's contact record.  It appears that if iOS thinks it can respond via iMessage, it will.

To recreate:
  • Both parties must have iPhones
  • Sender has RingCentral
  • Recipient should have an iOS contact record that has both the sender's mobile number and RingCentral number included
  • Sender sends text from RingCentral app (desktop or mobile) to the recipient's mobile number
  • Recipient opens iOS Messages and replies to the message
  • Sender will get the reply in their iOS Messages, not in RingCentral app
  • If the recipient removes the RingCentral number from the iOS contact record and creates a new contact record with just the sender's RingCentral number in it, replies will go to RingCentral because that contact record doesn't have any iMessage-capable number included

Hey Bob, 

Thanks for all that detail, I provided it to the mobile Project Manager. They confirmed it was system behavior for iOS, and to prevent it from happening you would have to turn off iMessaging. That way when a normal sms is sent to the RingCentral number, it is delivered to the RingCentral app.