SMS: Group Message

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
I am currently using send hub of which allows me to crate a group of contacts an label it for example ( Text Group 1). This is a group text per say, but the recipients do not see it as a group text. This is great for marketing to multiple clients at one time. If you go over 24 contacts you must use a reply code to stop texting but this is a good feature for Mortgage and Realtor Professionals like myself. So to recap its a group of contacts that I can press and send out how is your day going and they reply back to me directly not to everyone else. I just don't want to have to add 24 contacts every time I want to do this. There has to be a way to save them in a group. Major feature missing for business in virtual world.
Photo of Heisley

Heisley

• 1,490 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Intrep

Intrep

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Group Texting Improvement?.

I know that I can compose a group text using the PC softphone. Great. But if someone else initiates a group text, I only see the person who initiated the conversation, not the whole group, so there is no way to reply to all. Am I doing something wrong? If this is a known issue, when will it be resolved. As more and more folks use texting for business instead of email it is becoming a severe problem. 
Photo of Tina

Tina

• 256 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The bottom line is RINGCENTRAL is not giving clients what we need...this has been an ongoing request, a simple  ability to do a group text, just as a simple text, like anyone could use, not making everyone part of a ringcentral groupp....when do clients who pay ringcentral get what many have asked for...for several YEARS???
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Halley Friedman

Halley Friedman

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This link is broken
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 8,556 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Halley, 

This survey was posted in 2017, it's since expired. 
Photo of SIMON

SIMON

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Group SMS.

Creating the request in behalf of Doug. 
They wanted to create a group text in desktop app using the distribution list of their outlook without manually putting their number. (multiple recipients) 
Photo of Steven Cadenhead

Steven Cadenhead

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Was lots to read in this so skimmed thru.  We run a business so we do tech support, customer support, sales staff and then internal employees.  We need the ability to create lets say Customer Group, and then be able to send 1 text to all to notify them out outages and updates, then some for our other groups.  Can this be done with RC yet?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Steven, It sounds like you are probably messaging non-employees, so in this case, no.  If you are group messaging employees you can create Groups in the web portal and then message the group.   For non-employees, you might see if they are willing to use the Glip app since you can include internal/company, as well as external contacts.

Mike
Photo of Bonaco Telecom

Bonaco Telecom

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike, Please listen to the question before answering it.  

''We need the ability to create lets say Customer Group, and then be able to send 1 text to all to notify them out outages and updates''

Your answer  "If you are group messaging employees you can create Groups in the web portal and then message the group."  NO YOU CANNOT

You did not answer the question. this question is being asked every day, month and year since I have been with your company. it is a simple fix , for some unknown reason you people have run circle around the it.

PEOPLE WANTS YOU TO GIVE THEM PROVISION TO GREAT A GROUP TEXT. THIS WILL ENABLE COMPANIES LIKE MINE REACH OUT TO OUR EXISTING CUSTOMERS, EMPLOYESS , SUPPERVISORS AND MANAGER without doing a single entry.  the sad note here is that I cannot ask my secretary to send a sensitive text, so I have to use my limited time to enter 10 to 20 phone number
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Telecommunications,

Actually, Mike did indeed answer the question and I'm sure he read it carefully before doing so. He said, "Steven, It sounds like you are probably messaging non-employees, so in this case, no. " He further offered, "For non-employees, you might see if they are willing to use the Glip app
since you can include internal/company, as well as external contacts." This would cover your question about your customers.

Then he said, "If you are group messaging employees you can create Groups in the web portal and then message the group." Actually...you can indeed. That would cover your "EMPLOYESS , SUPPERVISORS AND MANAGER [sic]" question.

The developers and product managers, not Mike, determine what features are put into each application. For the record, I am not a RingCentral employee but a customer just like you. I, however, do own a software development company. I see many posts where people say that something is an "easy fix" without having the slightest idea about the RingCentral code and how each application interacts with the others (I know I certainly don't and I'm a developer).
Photo of BUENDIA

BUENDIA, Alum

• 536 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have customers who want to have this feature. It is tedious to add the names one by one.  Hope this will be implemented soon.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark A Caffey

Mark A Caffey

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Please implement this feature. We have thousands of clients and to enter 1 by one is not the best use of our time. There are other companies that do this as a group. But it would be nice to have all of this using one company. Also a report showing all texts that were sent and ones that failed. Thanks
Photo of MICHAEL BELL

MICHAEL BELL

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same here.  Clients are asking for this and we'd love to have it added.  We want the ability to send out text blasts without them all seeing each other's numbers.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,226 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
it would be nice to be able to text out any type of promos or mass message without having to go to a constant contact type site and be able to deal with it in a current technological fashion. 
Photo of Jay6408

Jay6408

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Account type - Office Ultimate, US.

A brief description of the business.

- NHE Wellness Service Providers: Wellness,
fitness  and nutritional service providers.

A high level description of the product or feature being
requested.

1. Open Rates:

- 98% of all SMS messages are opened and read by the
recipient, and on average within five seconds. So if you want to make sure that
your message is seen by the highest percentage of people in your marketing
database – choose SMS every time.

2. Speed and Flexibility:

- All businesses should be geared to react to the
fluidity of the modern business world, as flexibility and adaptability are key
to reacting to the ever changing market conditions. A bulk SMS service allows
businesses to immediately respond to the events of the day or to a competitor’s
promotions almost instantaneously.

3. Low Cost and High ROI:

- Newspaper ads, TV commercials and almost all forms of
outdoor advertising are cost prohibitive for most small to medium sized
businesses. Bulk SMS marketing on the other hand has such low set up and
running costs that campaigns can be launched and executed for a tiny fraction
of costs associated with the more traditional marketing methods.

4. Highly Targeted:

- The days when business owners and marketing managers
could send out marketing messages into the ether in the hope that they would
land on their target audience are over. For any company with even one eye on
costs, it’s now essential that every marketing message is as highly targeted as
possible.

5. Personalize it:

- SMS messages can be personalized to the recipient and
delivered to their pockets within seconds. They can also be personalized based
on the customer’s previous buying behavior and demographics. They can even be
location based as well as individually sculpted based on different stores and
different regions of the country.

A typical use case scenario explaining how your business
would use the feature:

-  To be able to
promote, advertise, sell, consult, inform and answer queries and questions from
your clients and prospective clients in a fast manner through the use of group
text. You can send multiple messages at one time. Thus increasing  sales, marketing and productivity of the
company.

Benefit of such feature:

1) Instant Deliverability - SMS is lightning fast,
literally putting your message into your subscribers’ pockets or purses seconds
after you send. The average time for all mobile carriers and SMS services is
less than 7 seconds from send to received. However, other marketing strategies are
also incredibly fast, but nothing compares to the swiftness of SMS.The average
time for all mobile carriers and SMS services is less than 7 seconds from send
to received

2) Flexible Platform:

- Either send a few messages to a targeted group or send
thousands of SMS messages to your entire list. A great SMS marketing service
makes it easy to customize your text message campaigns to the needs of your SMS
subscribers. Create a promotional message or a quick industry update; SMS truly
molds itself to whatever the needs are of your business. Also, many SMS
services easily integrate into your other online marketing strategies.

3) Instant Opt-In and Opt-Out:

- With the advent of short codes, opting in and opting
out of your SMS stream is, like everything else associated with SMS - instant.
Unlike other opt-in or opt-out options, there is only one step, and besides
entering a mobile number, there is rarely any personal information required up
front. In the SMS marketing business, you want to make it as quick and simple
to opt out as it is to opt in. This simplicity helps keep subscriber
satisfaction high.

4) High Open Rate:

- Compared to email marketing, SMS has a staggeringly
high open rate. Essentially, almost every SMS sent is opened (and read),
whereas only a fraction of emails sent are read. When a subscriber feels that
buzz in their pocket or hears that trill signaling a text message, they always
look. In some cases, text messages are automatically opened, where emails
aren’t. Subscribers have a choice to open your email.

5) High Conversion Rate:

- With SMS, there is an incredibly high rate of
subscriber action. Whatever your SMS is – promotions or contests – there is
more action taken compared to any other marketing or promotion strategies.

6) Reliable:

-  Unlike email,
SMS doesn’t have to battle against spam or other email filters. If anything,
SMS is more of a direct connection to your customer base than any other
marketing strategy, and there aren’t any barriers.

7) Short Messages:

-  Though this is a
challenge for some businesses, the 160-character length of SMS is a boon for
marketing. It forces you to be clear and concise. Instead of having your
subscribers slog through content that isn’t always relevant, SMS gets to the
point immediately without anything that is unnecessary. To make this even
easier, SimplyCast offers short codes for easy two-way communication.

8) 'Cool' Factor:

- A large demographic of consumers have abandoned the
email and have turned to text messages. Show your client list that you are
keeping up with the technology by sending targeted promotions via text. It will
give your company a head start in winning the battle for the next generation of
shoppers. This can be a great strategy for smaller businesses who are looking
to create a buzz locally.

9) Limitless Market Potential:

- Do you even know how many mobile phones are out there?
An absolutely ridiculous amount. And since mobile phones and text messaging
especially, are the way that people communicate now, there isn’t any reason why
you can’t tap into this virtually limitless market potential. Mobile phone
users represent all demographics – a marketing gold mine!

10) Green:

- Green is in! Though most online marketing strategies
are naturally green, it is incredibly important to reiterate. Green is not only
great for the environment but for the bottom line.

Include any
related case number if applicable

- case number 06709566

Number of Users and/or Digital Lines

-  17 - 20 u

ref:_00D80aRUX._5003410x74k:ref
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
amen!!!..very detailed and explained quite well.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
i thought they were aiming more for group style texts and mass text
Photo of MICHAEL BELL

MICHAEL BELL

Excellent summary.  I am especially interested in the ability to opt-in and opt-out and shortcodes.
Photo of Rachel Wincenciak

Rachel Wincenciak

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The SMS application NEEDS to have the ability to text persons who are on the RC platform (internal) and those who are not on the RC platform (external contacts/personal contacts). Our business works with over 400 mentors who help families in our program and we NEED a way to communicate with them and our staff at the same time to correctly address situations in our program.

We are unable to use GLIP because we cannot expect our mentors to use GLIP when most are not willing to use new forms (or any forms outside of a phone) of technology.

Is this a feature that we can get integrated this year? I do not see why this feature would not greatly benefit all RC users and make the SMS feature just like the SMS features you have on a personal cell phone.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

id assume you should be able to add a comma or distinguish extra numbers somehow. maybe mike or another admin can shed some light on this.
Photo of MICHAEL BELL

MICHAEL BELL

But wouldn't that create a group text?  There should be a way to communicate en masse with clients without them all seeing each other's numbers or responding as a group text.
Photo of Wyatt Chambers

Wyatt Chambers

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I spoke with a technician and they said it is something they are working on and will be on the next MMS version. They already have favorites, which is one step in the right direction.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

@michael yeah i see what your saying. the text should be sent out and appear as its only coming from 1 number to 1 number and not reveal other parties numbers that dont need to be seen.

Rachel Wincenciak

I am exactly asking for group text messaging where we can input both internal RC numbers and external numbers and the external numbers will stay in the same group text, not separate texts as they are now. That person who is sent a separate text will only be able to respond to the person who sent it and not to the group.

We need the SMS feature here to be able to allow persons not on RC to text back in the group text thread.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

yeah where all parties texted can see all replies right? or just respond to original sender?
(Edited)

Rachel Wincenciak

MICHAEL BELL I also agree that if you do not want others to see who you are texting in a group text then that feature should be added as well, for our business that is not a concern.

Rachel Wincenciak

Chris Duquette what we are looking for is a way to have any number (ring central or not) be able to reply to the group and see responses from the group. Just like a personal group text that you can do with friends or family outside of Ring Central.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

gotcha, sounds like something they must be working on because it would be foolish not to have this type of thing addressed as quickly as possible.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

so to recap we're asking for "group texting" and "group texting where members in text cant see other numbers" right? just like to have it out there in plain language so RC devs can see whats truely being asked for

Rachel Wincenciak

What our business needs is just the ability to have group texting where all persons who were sent that text can see all responses and reply to all in that text message group, for us it is not important to see or not see the contact numbers of persons in the group text.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

makes sense to me. 
Photo of MICHAEL BELL

MICHAEL BELL

My original request to RC was that we would like a way for clients to opt in to receive texts.  For us to have to manually add all of that information would be extremely time consuming.  If there was a way they could opt in, then we could just send out alerts to those who choose to receive them, as others have described they would like to do as well.
Photo of Frank Miles

Frank Miles

• 72 Points
I'm with Rachel Wincenciak on this.  Are they working on a group texting feature for contacts not on RC?
Photo of Frank Miles

Frank Miles

• 72 Points
I'm with Rachel Wincenciak on this.  Are they working on a group texting feature for contacts not on RC?
Photo of Will

Will

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This upgrade is soo essential as our society moves towards faster paced communication and communication at your own pace. Group texting to non-RC users and RC users all in the same text stream is available on all smart phones these days. 
We have persons who get confused when others start group texts with our RC numbers and we cannot reply to everyone together. Communication breaks down quickly because we are not included in the group stream like on every other device these days. 
Photo of Mark Milligan

Mark Milligan

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Group Text.

Ability to send Group Text to All Staff through the Ring Central App Text Feature.

We are a US based organization that travels often together and looking for a way to streamline communication with each other who is on the trip.

We travel offsite to meetings often as a team, normally about 10 to 40 of us, and we need a way to communicate via text to all employees at one time. We know that RingCentral has a text feature, but need to be able to set up Groups, ie All Staff, Annual Meeting, Nexus, Board Meeting, Lobby Days, etc. This would be very helpful if this can be developed in the future.
Photo of US Dispatch

US Dispatch

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled batch messages.

Can we send batch messages by uploading file (JSON, CSV, etc) to ring central with Contact number and individual message against that number.

The idea is... let us suppose.. I daily send 50 different messages to 50 people respectively manually. I am just looking for a way where I can put message against phone is JSON file and upload it to ring central. which will a huge time saver.

Is there such thing exist in Ring Central... some API?

Thanks!
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,910 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Everyone,

I'm waiting for more information on this, but currently we are working on making this happen with our Glip Telephony service. I wasn't given an ETA but I'm keeping my ears open for more news!
Photo of Kristina D'Acquisto

Kristina D'Acquisto

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That is not the answer our company would like to hear. We will not be using Glip or any other separate app for interoffice communication or for our client base. We want it to be standard SMS coming from our office phone number, sent as individual text messages OR group messages (when appropriate.) The only problem with the RC app for text messaging is that I cannot create contact groups. We would like to be able to simply open the RingCentral app (or a webpage) and send a text to "Office Staff" or "All Agents" for example. 
Photo of 102

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It's actually a big help if we will have group messaging. Having it send one by one with one content is a big hustle. I believe RingCentral wants things to be easier for us. I looking forward for this feature.
Photo of KURBANOVA

KURBANOVA

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled group sms.

1. Account type: Logistics 
  2. A brief description of the business: 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: to have  group text message for employees with direct number using desktop app and mobile app 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: for communicating with mobile dispatchers driver 
  5. Benefit of such feature: Easy text message 
  6. Include any related case number if applicable
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 46
Photo of Scheiner

Scheiner

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Text mail merge.

We are a US account. We use RC for virtual school, our students communicate with us through RC. I need an option to send personalized text messages to a group of students. As with mailmerge I can upload a spreadsheet with names, grades, etc, and send it out in an email. I'd like to have that option through texting. There is another company, Text Magic, that allows for this feature. It would be nice to not have to use an additional company for this feature. If you need clarification, check out this link to see what I need. https://www.textmagic.com/ 
Photo of Ward

Ward

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to Select Multiple contacts to send mass text messages.

The ability to Allow to select multiple contacts for mass text messaging. Presently we need to select each person that we're trying to send a text message to and then go back and find the different persons name and then click it.. Each time this is done it's manual and time consuming. As its displayed now it shows in the contacts list it would vastly improve the time it takes if we have the option to select with a check mark by each name and then you can add your text message body before or after whatever preference if the need to edit is needed before it's submitted.. This would save us a tremendous amount of time when we need to send a mass text message out across the board to our many tenants and/or clients for texting notification.
Photo of PAUL

PAUL

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral Softphone & Mobile App Feature that can Send SMS to a Group of Contac....

Feature Request Template
To help our Product Team understand your request and assure it gets more consideration, please include the following details in your request: 
  1. Account type  (U.S.)
  2. A brief description of the business (Insurance Agency)
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested (Group Text)
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature ( Client and Agent)
  5. Benefit of such feature ( this will help grow our business)
  6. Include any related case number if applicable N/A
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines (10)

Photo of Paul Murray

Paul Murray

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  1. Account type  U.S.
  2. A brief description of the business: Financial Services
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: Group Text 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: Executive is SMS messaging a group of people, personal contact and company contacts. He needs intends for everyone in the group to see who is getting the message and the replies. Essentially, the group text should REMAIN a group text and not be broken into individual messages. 
  5. Benefit of such feature: Simple Communications  
  6. Include any related case number if applicable: There is no case b/c this is a feature request.
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: ~50

Photo of Jasmine

Jasmine

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
> Account type: Office Standard 2 - 99 lines [T1_RCO_2_MTF_S
> A brief description of the business: >not discussed
> A high level description of the product or feature being requested: for group contact to appear as an option when sending sms via the apps.
> A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: customer would select contact group as recipient and all contacts in it would receive the message.
> Benefit of such feature: ease of use
> Include any related case number if applicable: 07667898
> Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 43 users / 43 digital lines
Photo of Elizabeth Whitley

Elizabeth Whitley

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Group text/SMS.

PLEASE add group text/SMS. Ideally, RC customers should be able to create contact groups and send text/SMS messages to a select group in the same manner as to a single contact. It is inconceivable that this is not available. 
Photo of Paul Murray

Paul Murray

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
100% Agree!   We want to use Text Messaging for business communication but can not due to the way messages for a group are "split."  We want group messages to remain exactly that... a group text message.

Hard to believe this is a feature request and not the default behavior of the application.  

Hey RingCentral, any chance someone from the product team will comment on this...

Thanks.
Photo of Tina

Tina

• 256 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
AGREED- but Ringcentral customers have been asking for this simple feature for years...BUT RC doesn't care. Personally we are waiting for a new product to be available in our area- then BUHBYE RC!
Photo of Craig Thomas

Craig Thomas

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Create and Save a Group for future texts.

i am a travel agent that books large group trips. I frequently have to send out group texts to the people traveling with updates and information.

It would be very beneficial if we were able to save the names in a group and create and distribute a text based on the group name and it would go to all members of that group.

It would also be ideal if we were able to set a send date and time for these texts.

It would also be great if we can create message templates so that we don't have to type the same message over each time its needed.
Photo of Robert Lidyard

Robert Lidyard

• 88 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
For the SMS/MMS application to have the ability to send/receive text a group from people who are on the RC platform (internal) and those who are not on the RC platform (external contacts/personal contacts) to stay within that group message and show the outside numbers and NOT NULL.
Photo of Jasmine M

Jasmine M, Employee

• 1,802 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled upload contacts to the app when sending a message.

1. Account type: Office Standard 20 line
  2. A brief description of the business : not discussed
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: an option to upload a csv file with a list of contacts can be selected when sending a message. 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: customer would upload a csv file with a list of contact numbers to the "To" area, when sending sms, so that they don't need to manually input each one.
  5. Benefit of such feature: ease of use
  6. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 40 users / 39 digital lines

Photo of MINNE

MINNE

• 62 Points
Ring central doesn't support group sms or mms.  So we have to move on. 
Photo of Michael Berkeley

Michael Berkeley

• 670 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled maintain group sms for external numbers.

We are a standard license user in the US.  I would like to be able to group multiple external SMS only numbers together and have an SMS based conversation. I am ok using either the phone app or the RC app.

2 components to this:

1) Allow creating groups of phone numbers.
2) Send 1 SMS to all recipients, not individual messages to each.

Example: Send SMS to (xxx) xxx-xxxx and (yyy) yyy-yyyy "What do you want for Lunch?" When each reply it goes to me, the original sender, and the other original recipient.  When a 2nd person replies it continues to go to all parties.

It would be great to have this as an option to create a Group SMS, or individual SMS to a list of numbers. 
Photo of Totality Medispa

Totality Medispa

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled bulk sms.

SMS all your clients with promotions