SMS: "auto reply" feature and templates

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: SMS / Text Auto Responder

Auto-reply for incoming text/SMS messages
Photo of kevin royalty

kevin royalty, Champion

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Alisa Moore

Alisa Moore

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Automated Texting Replies for RingCentral App.

We received text messages from our clients thinking they are texting our personal cell phones or they will text in regards to their accounts when they shouldn't. We cannot disable our texting feature as we use that in order to access codes for our logins. We would like to have an automated response for those who text our landline to inform them it is a business they are reaching and they need to give us a call instead. 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 34,036 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can currently do that with Zapier. The link below will take you directly to that particular functionality. They have a Free version as well.

https://zapier.com/app/min/10867/start
Photo of Alisa Moore

Alisa Moore

I just tried this after I saw your comment, but I still have to input the phone number I want the reply sent to. Basically that is the same thing as texting them back using my app, just a longer process. I want it to automatically reply to ANYONE who texts to let them know to call us and that they will not receive a response through text. From what I could test, this was more work for us in the end. I don't think is the right integration for us. Thank you though!
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

You're welcome. I use Zapier for some other functionality with RIngCentral and it works great without me having to touch anything. I figured that would work the same way. I'm going to look into it as well and see if there is something that you or I missed on it. Seems to me that it should be somewhat automatic since that's what "Zaps" are meant to do.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Alisa,

I see the dilemma. I had a client use the phone call to automatic SMS but in that case he has a number to text back to. I thought this would work the same way. I even tried building the Zap from scratch but ultimately it came down to the same issue.

This is now intriguing me. I'm going to do some research.
Photo of Alisa Moore

Alisa Moore

Yeah, I can see how it would be good for someone who always texts. But we have  a lot of clients who text randomly. So we would have to do this for every single one and that would not use up our time wisely. 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Correct...You could set up a one time Zap for each client but that would put you out of range for the Free version (5 Zaps). You wouldn't have to enter their number every time but you would have to set up each new client with a Zap. It would almost be easier to send out an email blast to new and existing clients telling them (in a nice way, of course) not to text "X" or "Y" phone numbers.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Great discussion everyone... I would like to see this too.  I'm imagining something similar to the "advanced rules" that you can set up for calls, except for SMS messages. So an auto-reply can be set up for all SMSs, or just to certain numbers, forward to email, etc.   
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Mike,

I agree. It would be nice if the Zap could just "pick up" the phone number of the incoming text and use that (in a variable) to place that number in the outgoing text. I would think that would be super simple to do. I'll have to submit the idea to Zapier for an enhancement.
Photo of BUENDIA

BUENDIA, Alum

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi, I also have a customer that wants "Auto reply" be added as a feature when using business SMS thru desktop app and mobile app.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.