SMS: Texting to and from the Main Number

• Idea
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
It would be great to be able to send and receive text  to and from the Main Number, rather then only being able to do it from the local numbers.
Photo of Rob Benn-Frenette

Rob Benn-Frenette, Champion

• 4,860 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Ryan, at this time you can not text to or from the toll free numbers on your account

Ryan as far as I know, you can not send a text to or from any toll-free # on the account.

Mike - can you confirm? 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 92,044 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In order to send a text message from the main number, you must first log into the mobile app, or desktop app under the main number or the operator extension.  When you are on the texting screen click the small drop-down arrow show by the first arrow in the image below, then, you'll have an option to send from the Main Company number, or the Direct Number. 

If you log into either app with another number other than the main number or the operator extension, you will not have  the ability to send SMS messages from the main number. 

Mike
(Edited)

Mike, can you confirm if you still can not send text to and from the TF #?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for confusion.   You are correct, it will not work with a Toll Free number, but it will work from the main number.
(Edited)

Mike, Just want to confirm that you can still not text to and from the mail TF#?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Correct Rob
Photo of IT Xpress

IT Xpress

• 824 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
OK - I'm still trying to figure this out...

I *JUST* ported my Google Voice number to RingCentral after having GV forward to RingCentral because we heavily used making and receiving calls on smartphones with the main business number (google voice) AND texting from it. I thought you could text to/from the main company number. I mean I can set it as the outgoing caller ID everywhere. And in early testing of the Ringcentral for Google app and desktop app you seemed like you could. I stopped using the RC for Google app because it was constantly knocking me out of Google (I am logge dinto a personal and work google account always - but the RC App had no concept of multiple logins. Tickets I opened about this just got closed)

Anyway - now that I've got my main number ported to RC, I'm trying to text and both the Desktop App and Google App refuse to let me select any number other than the extension. 

SO now I'm freaking because the whole point of FINALLY ditching the GV forward and bringing the main number in as our RIngCentral number was to make outgoing caller ID easier and the understanding that we could send/rc vtxts from the main number not the individual extension numbers which we simply do not want out there. We want people to have ONE number for us in all venues...

Yet both the desktop app and the googel app have pull downs to let you select a number. But they're always just the extension number.

I've tried logging in as every number and extension I have. Never works.

This thread makes it sound like if you jump through multiple hoops and login at the extension marked as the operator - you can text from the main number. Awesome. But it's never given to me as a choice. I've logged in as the actual operator extension number and the main company number with the operator extension filled in. 

Panicking that I've lost a major piece of functionality I was under the understanding was supported...
(Edited)
Photo of IT Xpress

IT Xpress

• 824 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It looks like it may be just the Google for Work. I purged my Ringcentral for WIndows, logged into the operator extension, and can select from all my numbers for texts now... I seem to be able to do it from the Android app as well.

But the Google for Work app will NOT let me select any number other than the extension number.

Anyone else seeing this? 
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,320 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Text Messages to the Main Number get directed to the Operator Extension Only.   Only the Operator receives those text messages.  Only the Operator has the permissions to send a SMS with the Main Number as their Caller ID.  

[Note: this does not apply to RingCentral App for Google - as the Operator, because it is a call controller plugin].

To request this feature for non-operator extension, please VOTE on this topic: SMS: Allow all users (not just operator ext) to text messages (SMS) from the Main Number

(Edited)
Photo of Don Sikes

Don Sikes

• 60 Points
Kim, I just had our business cell number ported to our rc system. it has gone smoothly - but we have been used to having people text this number and our replying from it. is this still possible?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,320 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If the number was ported in recently please allow up to 14 days for SMS to be enabled.  If it's been past 14 days, please send the number to community.support@ringcentral.com and I can check/test it.  

Are you assigning that number to the Main Company Number? 
Photo of Shelley Rossell

Shelley Rossell

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would like this feature updated to allow text messages to the main number to be received and replied to by multiple users.  I have a single extension, and I need almost everyone on my team to receive the text messages to the main number.
Photo of William Cuthbertson

William Cuthbertson

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Having this rectified and available via the RC Google app for Chrome would be fantastic!
Photo of Dil Singh

Dil Singh

• 328 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Any user to be able to send text message using the company main number..

I would like to have all our users be able to see and reply to text messages that come into our main line, so the local company number. Right now we are getting around this by setting up an fake ext and having all text messages sent to that ext from the main company line. Then users logout of there ext and login to the fake one to see and reply to the message.

Would be awesome if we can someone have all the message view/reply from any ext if the text is sent to the main line.
Photo of RICHON

RICHON

• 60 Points
I agree!  Being able to text from the number would be fantastic.  I would like to be able to set up autoresponders for texts received to my numbers and have had to purchase additional services in order to accomplish what could probably easily be done within this app. 
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS from the Main Number.

It would be great to be able to send and receive text  to and from the Main Number, rather then only being able to do it from the local numbers.
Photo of Annette Falk

Annette Falk

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request: Masking the direct number to main number for users via text msg ....

Presently I can only use ONE super admin account to mask text message / SMS via our main phone number and we would like to be able to have this option on all other users to do the same so that we don't need to re-login to that one super admin only accessible account to perform the masking of our ring central phone number to display as a broadcast of our main office line. This is a VITAL idea that so badly needs to be implemented so we can add additional Ring Central lines such as other Super Admin users AND Standard users so other staff members can perform the same masking without the need to give them the login credentials to an account they do not need access to. Allowing this feature to take place will allow us as a customer to pull the trigger and start adding additional RingCentral lines to our account.
Photo of Jason Rutland

Jason Rutland

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled outbound inbound texting with company phone # not digital line #.

We would like to see the feature where you can text from all/any extensions and have it receive and send from the main account/business number not the digital numbers assigned to each extension. We see that we are able to have the number show as our company number from the extension that the operator is directed to, but all the other extensions show its digital assigned number when texting. I hope to see this feature of texting with/from our company number instead of digital number just as we can with calls very soon.  Thanks!
Photo of Michael Hartman

Michael Hartman

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I would like to be able to specify which extensions receive SMS from the main number. We use SMS as part of our service and we have different people on call at different times.  It would be nice if the person who is oncall could login and enable receiving of the texts when he starts his shift.  I'd also like to have this feature for Common Area Phones,Groups and forwards.  This way we could create clusters of people that receive messages for particular business purposes.
Photo of BerksRunner

BerksRunner

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The App interface appears to have changed, as I no longer see an option to select a "from" number -- in act, the entire "from" data field appears to be missing.  Can someone please confirm that this is correct?
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 43,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi BerksRunner,
I moved this to we can do some troubleshooting!

Please reference the new conversation here: SMS Drop Down Menu