Transitioning to the RingCentral app

• Announcement
  • Updated 7 hours ago
  • (Edited)
11/7/2019  As our efforts to transition users to the new RingCentral app continue, we’re continuously updating this post with the latest information. Be sure to check back on the original post and FAQs for updates!

At RingCentral, our number one priority is keeping you productive while making our solutions easy to manage. In response to customer feedback, we are unifying our separate business apps into one application, the RingCentral app.

We’re beginning the process of retiring our Phone and Meetings apps and bringing those capabilities into the RingCentral app. The first step in this process is to retire the mobile apps by April 2020. 

There are no current plans to retire our separate business desktop apps just yet. The transition on desktop will only begin after we close all the feature gaps in the RingCentral desktop app. Until then, you will still be able to use the RingCentral Phone desktop app for advanced calling features such as HUD and the standalone RingCentral Meetings desktop app. 

This past August we began the process of transitioning users to the new RingCentral app. Accounts are being migrated over a period of time, similar to how we roll out our quarterly feature releases. Once your account has been migrated, the unified RingCentral mobile app will be made the default app for phone calls and video meetings. This means all your calls and meetings will automatically launch with the integrated experience from inside the RingCentral app so you no longer need the separate business apps. We plan to complete this process by April 2020 at which time the mobile apps will no longer be available for download in the app store. 

About 2-3 months prior to your scheduled transition date you’ll receive an email notification with complete details including the exact date your account will be transitioned to the new app. If you are unsure of who receives product notifications you can check which users are designated as admin users within the Admin Portal at service.ringcentral.com. In addition, users will receive messaging inside of the old RingCentral Phone mobile application letting them know they will need to transition to the new app by a certain date.

We’ve also put together some resources to help make your transition as effortless as possible. Here are some: P.S. As a gentle reminder, this transition applies to the mobile app only. You will still be able to use your RingCentral desktop apps.

FAQ

Q. When will this affect me?

A. This past August we began the process of transitioning users to the new RingCentral app. Accounts are being migrated over a period of time, similar to how we roll out our quarterly feature releases. We plan to complete this process by April 2020 at which time the mobile apps will no longer be available for download in the app store. 

About 2-3 months prior to your scheduled transition date you’ll receive an email notification with complete details including the exact date your account will be transitioned to the new app.

Q. I use advanced calling features like HUD which aren’t yet supported on the unified RingCentral app. How will this impact me?

A. You will still be able to use all these features on the desktop RingCentral Phone app as we have no plans to retire this until all of the features have been integrated into the new unified RingCentral app. 

Q. Can I turn off team messaging (Glip) in the RingCentral app?

A. Yes. Starting in mid-November, admins will have the ability to hide or remove the Message tab within the RingCentral mobile app. To do this, you must first contact support to enable the permission for your account. Once enabled, you will be able to turn on/off access to team messaging for users through your RingCentral Admin Portal.

Q. Who is impacted by this change?

A. All customers who are currently using RingCentral Phone and RingCentral Meetings on their mobile devices will be impacted. 

The transition is only for mobile only, so you may continue to use the RingCentral Phone and RingCentral Meetings app on desktop.

Q. What if I still want to use the apps after they have been retired and removed from the app store? 

A. You will be unable to continue to use RingCentral Phone app after your transition date. All RingCentral meetings will automatically launch from within the new unified RingCentral app, leaving you no need to use the standalone app. 

If you need assistance with timeline or would like to delay this for business reasons, please contact your account manager or RingCentral global support.

After the app store removal date, you may continue to use the meetings app if you so choose but keep in mind that support for these will be limited. 

Q. How do I install/get the RingCentral app?

A. You can download the RingCentral app here. Your users will soon receive in-app notifications pointing them to the RingCentral app in their app store.

Q. Can I still use my existing login credentials?

A. Yes, you’ll still be able to use your existing credentials to log in to the RingCentral app.

Q. Will all my data still be available once I transition to the RingCentral app?

A. Yes, all your existing data will be available in the RingCentral app

Q. What features do I have access to in the RingCentral app?

A. You will still have access to features you know and love plus team messaging, HD video meetings,* task management, and more. Existing RingCentral Office customers will now also have access to additional functionalities including multi-party calling, custom ringtones, and warm transfer.

For more information about your account and specific features, don’t hesitate to reach out to your account representative or RingCentral global support. 

*HD video meetings are not available to Fax and Pro customers

Photo of Becky - Community Support

Becky - Community Support, Official Rep

• 1,446 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,678 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have a customer right now who uses the ringcentral desktop app to send faxes and texts, how will using the "glip" app help them out? They don't want to have a platform like glip where the office could be wasting more time chatting and sending memes than doing actual work.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris, your customer will be able to turn off the messaging feature :)

Q. Can I turn off specific features I don’t want my users accessing (e.g., team messaging, meetings, calling, etc.)?
A. Yes. As part of the transition, we will be introducing the ability for admins to turn off feature access for users in the RingCentral mobile app.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

Sorry, I didnt read it fully. :/
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

This will still allow them to be able to see an entire office display of all users and whether or not they're on calls correct? If they wanted to text like the RingCentral for desktop app could they? Or is that basically being replaced by the glip / ringcentral style instant message.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

No worries, Chris! ;)

Yes, the RC app does have a Presence feature that will let others know when you're on a call or in a RC Meeting. You can also SMS from the RC app.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

NOTE  we have also recently adopted the BlincLight MIni for online presence indicator. This hooks directly to  your computer for use with the RingCentral HeadsUpDisplay app - and shows if you are on the line, available or DND    to others walking through your work area or office so they can tell you are On The Line or not

This device is on a USB cabled connection, the device about 3" tall, and has a RingCentral specific set of drivers etc. - it runs about $55.00 USD per unit - unless  you buy in bulk (over 20 units) then the per unit price goes down 

https://embrava.com/products/blynclight-mini

(Edited)
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

• 1,440 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the heads up on this, looks great!
Photo of Todd Shoemaker

Todd Shoemaker

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We need the same outgoing calling features that are on the RC phone app included before this app is the only one available. If thats not going to be a feature and function of this app we need to keep the other app usable. I hope you have planned to make all of those features work on the new app in your plans but if not please alter your plans so when an incoming call arrives on a given line (phone number) and we see it we can use our phone to call out on that exact phone number the incoming caller dialed. So for instance if they dialed the phone number on say our website and it rang here and then I missed the call I could return their call from the phone number for our website. Maybe the call came in on (012)345-6789 so we’ll need to be able to dial them from that same phone number so they recognize the incoming line/phone number. Thank you!
Photo of Becky Higgins

Becky Higgins, Employee

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Todd, We hear you! We’re working hard to make sure key functionalities within the RC Phone App are available in the new RingCentral App as well. Note that RC Phone Mobile app will be retired first, and RC Phone Desktop will happen much later and we'll keep you posted. If you have concerns about a specific feature, please reach out to your account rep and they’ll be able to help.

(Edited)
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 578 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Becky, I am VERY concerned about your response above, particularly your use of the words "key functionalities."  I have had numerous calls with folks at RingCentral about the functionality of the GLIP phone application and some of the "key" features that are not included in that application such as connectivity to Outlook.  My concern is that if ALL of the functionality is not ported over to this update we are going to have a number of angry and disappointed staff and we are going to have to go through another training session, and so on.  

I also want to reiterate some other comments from people in this thread.  We were also told directly by RingCentral executives that while the goal was to move to the RingCentral app as a single source, the current mobile and desktop apps would remain available.  Our concern was that the RingCentral app (Glip) has never functioned as we have liked and we have avoided using this application completely.

Please advise how this is going to maintain our services without interruptions.

Carl
Photo of Elyse

Elyse

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've reverted to the "Phone" app as the "RingCentral" app on phone and desktop does not let me label contacts, and in addition does not sync my call log or contacts between apps. During testing when evaluating VOIP vendors, the ease of adding contacts and syncing between phones was a key differentiator between top competitors. So was the active support and engineering effort. I expected the unified app to be a step forward, not a step back. As others point out it is also key to be able to remove unwanted features for specific staff such as GLip.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,182 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
There's no choice but to revert back to the old app. Using the new app in day-to-day business is impossible. It doesn't make any sense why contact management wasn't the first function created for the new app. The new app has 10 different visual themes and a thousand emojis but you can't save a contact? People have come to RingCentral for years to have a company phone number or alternate phone number they can use to conduct business through. I don't understand why the recent developer focus has shifted so far away from this.

Photo of David Parent

David Parent, Champion

• 1,310 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree, I also can't move on the new app until the basic phone functionalities are included. Glip should have been merged into the phone application, not the other way around. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Elyse, the ability to label contacts in the RingCentral app is available in the 19.3.23 version of the Mobile App. I received an update today that they're working on adding the same functionality to the Desktop App in late Q1/early Q2 of 2020 - since that is when we will be working on closing the feature gaps between the two desktop apps.

The Product Team is aware of the contacts syncing issue and they're working hard to fix this.

As Becky mentioned in the Q&A section, you will be able to turn off the Glip functionality.

Q. Can I turn off team messaging/Glip?
A. Yes. As part of the transition, we will be introducing the ability for admins to turn off feature access for users in the RingCentral mobile app.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,254 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
At this point we are still steering users toward RC Phone on the desktop and the new app on mobile.  We will not direct desktop users to the new app until it is on par with the phone functions we use.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,676 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

This is a huge problem for our organization as use of GLIP is banned throughout due to lack of Enterprise Security which is not compliant with our network requirements.   How is RingCentral going to accomodate this for us?  Previously, we were told we would always still have access to a version of the RingCentral software without GLIP being visible to all users - this creates a huge number internal helpdesk tickets and failed logins as users attempt to login to GLIP instead of RC Phone.

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/glipsec.html

Photo of Becky Higgins

Becky Higgins, Employee

Hi Cecile, we appreciate your feedback! We are starting this transition with our mobile apps first, and continuing with the desktop versions in 2020. In the case of team messaging capabilities, we understand flexibility is important and organizations will be able to turn team messaging chat functionality on/off in both (mobile/desktop) versions. The admin features you have previously mentioned are a part of our roadmap. 

In addition I wanted to share the latest version of our RingCentral App security white paper that addresses many of the Enterprise security concerns that come up for folks. 

(Edited)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,676 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The white paper you linked above covers general security concerns, but not the issues we have with the lack of specific features for controlling Virus scan of attachments to glip message, message moderation,  control of who may or may not "send to all users in an organization"    we are a public entity and cannot use a tool that does not provide these controls. 
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,312 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
What's the plan for faxing via RingCentral app? I see it as an option on mobile in the chart above but wonder when it's planned for desktop.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

Disregard ... found that faxing is there, just buried on the page where you view received faxes.  I was looking for it on the + in the upper right that is used to do most other new things (Start Phone Call, Start Video Meeting, Send New Message, etc.)...
(Edited)
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for not getting to you sooner, Bob! Yes, that's where it is located. I think it would make more sense to be where the other things such as New message, Start phone call are. I'll pass along the feedback to the Product Team :)
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

• 1,942 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
where are you finding it Bob?  Actually on the RC app (app.glip.com) page or do you have to log in under your account to view/send faxes?
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

In the app (or app.glip.com) click on the Phone icon in the bottom left then click Fax in the main section, then the little grey icon in the upper right of the main panel.

Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

The fact that a Champion (or 2, or 3, including me originally) cannot intuitively find the way to send a fax is an indicator that it's in the wrong place.  Just my $0.02.
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

• 1,942 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
i don't think it is there for me.  We have not allowed Phone Calls from RC app and are still using RC desktop phone app.  I think that is why I can't see the faxes.  We have had issues using the all-in-one phone calls in the past and it was easier to use the desktop app. I can still compose a fax from there, but I can't see my sent faxes there anymore.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

I believe that whole section of the Glip app is only there if you enable the phone features.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

Is there an expected date for when this migration will happen? I will have to have a couple customers download this new app for their desktops. At the moment they strictly use the RC for desktop app on their PCs so they'll need this to continue operating correctly.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Chris, the migration dates will vary for each account - we'll do this in stages, just like when we roll out a new release :) The account manager or CSM for your customer's account will have more details about when the account is scheduled.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

Thank you. I look forward to hearing from them and giving my customer time to get the app put in by their IT company.
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 852 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Don't want or need all that stuff, and the phone app takes up too much space already.  I want it small, compact, simple.  Just to call and fax thank you, please to consider a lite version of the app.  Suppose if worse comes to worse, I'll just buy a desktop phone and fax through email.  Then I won't need any appz.
(Edited)
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just downloaded and reviewed the RCApp, (again for the third time) but don't see anywhere to "make a phone call".  to be clear, the desktop RCPhone will be combined into RCApp?  By the way, please consider it to be optional, I looked again and "DONT NEED ANY OF THAT STUFF".    Microsoft Teams, Slack, Skype are the mainstream apps.  Give us a choice to not clutter up and confuse users with "ALL THAT STUFF"   - Thank  you for your consideration.  Uninstalling again.....
(Edited)
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Rickkee, do you have a full digital line attached to your extension? Could you share a screen shot of what you see?
Photo of Lisa

Lisa, Champion

• 1,910 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree. We use Slack and have no intentions of using Glip. We only use RingCentral Phone and Meetings. Glip clutters up this app. I also have deleted the new app. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,910 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Rickkee and Lisa, you will be able to turn off specific features :) so don't fret!

Q. Can I turn off specific features I don’t want my users accessing (e.g., team messaging, meetings, calling, etc.)?

Photo of Carl

Carl

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I think this misses the point.  Having to turn off features means that we need to reconfigure everyone's application and retrain staff.  This can be a huge issue.
Photo of Clay

Clay

• 686 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well, this is about the worst news I could've gotten today.  The unified app is horrible!  Not a happy customer right now.  Transitioning my users is going to be a major pain without the slightest benefit.  "Fixing" something that isn't broken is always a terrible idea!
Photo of David Heier

David Heier

Horrible does not begin to describe the unified app. The current apps are nearly perfect for my business. Someone at RC should be fired over this decision to transition customers to an inferior platform that never should have been created in the first place. RC should take a lesson from Microsoft when they eliminated the start button and traditional desktop. Microsoft alienated its user base and Microsoft brought back what it eliminated and gave users the choice to use the traditional or the new user interface. Microsoft averted disaster and Windows has flourished ever since.
Photo of Becky Higgins

Becky Higgins, Employee

Hi Clay, we know this kind of transition can be disruptive, but we’re working hard to make sure it’s a positive experience and we’re here to help you every step of the way. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your account rep as they can provide resources and help you navigate specific challenges your organization faces.

Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

@Becky HIggins

Characterizing this problem as being "disruptive" is not accurate. The product offering does not WORK for many many people and has huge gaps in Enterprise Security.  This is the first and largest product mis-step RingCentral has made since going into business, watch your customer count go down if you force this on everyone. 

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/glipsec.html
Photo of John Craven

John Craven

• 454 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Totally agree with you Cecile.

Doesn't seem like RC gives a damn, tough. Really disappointing & feels like a bait & switch vs what we were sold. 
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 3,958 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
We went for years with numerous topics here on the problem with having 2 or 3 different RingCentral apps.  It seems to me that they have picked one and decided it will be the home to all functions, but by most accounts it's not even close to being feature complete and definitely is not as user-friendly as the other apps that provide specific functions.  I would have hoped that RingCentral would have built a plan that stated that the transition to the former Glip app would only happen once it had all of long list of functions and it had been tested by user groups as being complete and simple to use.  My take is that the feature set isn't complete (as evidenced by RingOut not being available on desktop until some time in 2020) and the current incarnation of Glip is NOT user friendly in the slightest.  I would hope they would at least consider pumping the breaks on the sunset of the old apps until Glip is more ready.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 3,958 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I should add that I think it's the right option to move toward a single application that provides all RC functions (it IS "Unified Communications" after all) but that gives admins the ability to turn off the elements they feel are not needed for some/all of their users.  I just don't think the former Glip app is anywhere near ready to offer that.

Since we use Office 365 as a key component of our infrastructure and have already generally adopted Teams, adding that same function via RC is going to be confusing so we will potentially turn that off.  We do look forward to a unified RC app that will bring meetings and telephony (including SMS and fax) all into one app that can be installed on multiple user desktop devices...just hope it's something better than what I'm currently seeing.
Photo of Guy Griffin

Guy Griffin

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You might want to reconsider forcing your customers to transition to an app that's currently down with no explanation and no ETA.
Photo of James Reyes

James Reyes

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't see any ability to send SMS messages from the RC Desktop app. Will this feature be added before the transition?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey James, SMS functionality is already present in the RingCentral desktop app :) You do have to have the phone capability enabled and a digital line attached to your extension, as well as SMS enabled.

There are some screenshots below :)

1)

2)

3)

Photo of Anthony Barton

Anthony Barton

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would have migrated over a long while back, however the new app is lacking the ability to choose our main phone number when we send out a text. When a text is sent out it needs to come from our main phone number not an individual phone number. This is currently possible is the RC Phone app, not possible in the RingCentral app. Is this something that is going to be fixed?
Photo of Sam Goodman

Sam Goodman

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Same Problem for me Anthony, and RC admins. It's unacceptable that I can't send a text from our main company line, and the fact that it only is able to come from an individual phone number with a 205 area code (from Alabama) when we are based in California is particularly unacceptable. I never understood why our individual numbers that RC assigned to us are with an area code from a different state. How do you expect us to use RincCentral App when you can't control the outbound number for caller ID for texts. That is truly not workable. 
(Edited)
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This would be a deal breaker for our company as well if we cant text from our main number.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Anthony, Sam, & Josh! The Product Team is working on adding the ability to change your outbound SMS ID. It is currently scheduled for Q3 release. Please follow the Idea that ACCOUNT linked for further updates :)
Photo of Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
HUD?

Michael Robinson

I still don't see that the heads up display has been added. When will this and other key features already in the other apps be available in the RingCentral app?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

No HUD in the app.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Michael, the plan is to first get the Mobile apps transitioned. Currently the RC Phone mobile app doesn't have HUD and I'm not aware of any plans to add the HUD to the RingCentral mobile app. 

However, the Product Team will be working towards feature parity for the desktop app. So I believe the HUD would be present there, however I haven't heard a solid answer on that yet. As I learn more details in the coming months I'll share :) Follow this thread since I'll post updates specifically about HUD there.
Photo of Lenissa Dumlao

Lenissa Dumlao

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello - we are looking forward to transitioning! Any word yet on the ability to schedule meetings using the new integrated app? We'd love to transition as soon as we have all the functions available on the separate RC Meetings and RC Phone app. Will those apps still be available until the integrated app is fully functional? 
Photo of Becky Higgins

Becky Higgins, Employee

Hi Lenissa! Yes, today you can schedule meetings directly from the RingCentral mobile app, and the RingCentral desktop app functionality will be available later this year. We won’t ask anyone to move to the new apps until these features are available.

Photo of Julie Sperritt

Julie Sperritt

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You can schedule meetings from the app but you can only view 2 days in the calendar - so it's not really useable as a meeting/diary function or to edit meetings.
Once again, it's an item that is apparently being looked at -which seems to be the case with (too) many things?.......
Photo of John Craven

John Craven

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Terrible news.

RingCentral Phone is so much better than Ring Central. Clean UX and functions perfectly as a VoIP phone client.

The Ring Central app looks like a cheap Slack ripoff and has a terrible UX (e.g. all of the screens that have no save or close not to mention it stinks as a phone app).

Cannot imagine that real customers told you to do this. 

Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,054 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Slack is for children who like to dress like hipsters and play .com startup.

Unfortunately, it also appears to be the most non-productive coding trend ever a.k.a. the new standard. AOL Instant Messenger was more productive than Slack is.
Photo of John Craven

John Craven

Super genius insight. Thank you, "ACCOUNT." 
Photo of Victor Manfredi

Victor Manfredi

Your mobile app is just awful. This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen and judging by the responses here i believe the majority of your customers agree. I use the desktop meeting app once a week to have a face to face with my remote workers. Am I supposed to now tell them to install ANOTHER app on their private cell phones and hold them up for the hour we meet for ? That Glip piece of garbage is the worst. I am an MSP and a reseller. I have only sold your service to a couple of clients mostly based on the desktop app video conf call feature. When they call me to complain whos number should i give them , Maybe i will had out my reps direct line and tell them to call him. This is so stupid.
Photo of Becky Higgins

Becky Higgins, Employee

Hi Victor, In the future the RingCentral app (mobile & desktop) will be the sole app for calling, messaging & meeting. There will be the ability to turn off Glip (team messaging) so any customers who don’t want to use Glip, don’t have to. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to your rep to discuss, we're here to help. :) 
Photo of Mark Blake

Mark Blake

• 528 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What about Glip users,   Will they be able to turn off the other stuff?
and considering that Glip is free and Ringcentral is not,  will Glip users have to pay a subscription?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,254 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The "free" as well as the "Standard" Glip app do not have telephony functionality. The standard version, which is a paid version, only has RIngCentral meetings but again, no telephony features.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Thanks for helping out J.B. :)
Photo of Victor Manfredi

Victor Manfredi

How about, while your making everyone do things that they clearly have a problem with like adopt an app that is flawed, feature weak and not properly tested, you do something that people have been asking for since i started with you like 4 years ago. Build in auto response for texting. See I hate the fact you can send a text to the number , these are business desk phones not cell phones. Plus business should NEVER be conducted over text. In my opinion you should enable the text "feature" to be turned off totally. The only time i open that "mobile app" you have is when i have to send out a response to a text that says "HEY STOP TRYING TO TEXT A DESK PHONE!!!!"
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Victor,

DISCLAIMER-I am NOT a RIngCentral employee, nor do I work for RIngCentral in any capacity.

While I agree that text auto-response would be a great feature, I can say, almost without reservation, that the text functionality will never "be turned off totally."

The fact in this day and age is, texting *IS* used in business environments by MANY businesses. While your business may not use it doesn't mean it's not a vital function of the business world. You cannot say "Plus business should NEVER be conducted over text." as that is your opinion. Further, many businesses are using mobile phones and desktop or web apps for communication and completely doing away with desk phones. You cannot unequivocally say that "...these are business desk phones not cell phones."

Just the fact that you used the mobile app to send a response to a text shows that they are not texting a desk phone because if you only had a desk phone you would never see the text. The people you are responding to know that you are not responding from a desk phone.

I don't say the above to provoke a war of words...it's just that you will find that your text requests will fall on deaf ears since UCaaS (Unified Communications as a Service) encompasses multiple channels of communication all unified together...including voice, text, e-fax, video, collaboration functionality and more.  If you only use desk phones my recommendation would be to delete the mobile app and any softphone apps and you will not see any texts and won't need to respond to them.
Photo of Victor Manfredi

Victor Manfredi

Since you are not a Ring Central employee why would I care about your opinion at all?  This is about getting a response from someone at ring central not to have people comment on the context here .You clearly don't understand what i am talking about and i would apricate it if you would refrain from adding your 2 cents here as I didn't ask for it.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

You posted your comment in a public forum where only a small percentage of the participants are RingCentral employees. It is called the "Community" for that very reason.  If you have feedback for RingCentral and ONLY RingCentral, I believe the right course of action is to contact your account rep.
Photo of Victor Manfredi

Victor Manfredi

Oh okay your one of THOSE people ...nevermind
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Bob, You took the words right out of my mouth! 
Photo of Victor Manfredi

Victor Manfredi

Wow there are 2 of you. Ok again never mind.
Photo of Josh

Josh

Count me as being 3 of us I guess then. Using never in your statement about texting as a business implies those of us that use the technology are doing it wrong. My customers love texting and being notified of weather alerts, cancellations, and reschedules. We frequently only get responses via text from customers even though we call, leave voicemail and email them.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hi all,

We encourage and appreciate our Community members' involvement :) It's important for you all to have a place to communicate, collaborate, and share perspectives.

RingCentral has a wide variety of customers and each have different business requirements. As a company, we do our best to meet the needs of many, it does take time to add all of the features needed/wanted, and we appreciate our customer's patience while we grow.

Victor, I would highly encourage you to contact your Account Manager regarding your specific concerns. As always, my team will continue to monitor this forum and provide the feedback to our Product Team. 
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,182 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I pray coding isn't being done based on the specific individual needs of RC customers, because that would only lead to forever patchwork and lengthy delays in development.

All of the businesses here don't have wildly different foundational communication requirements.
Everything stems from the basic phone/sms/fax functionality common needs we all share. In fact, there seem to be only 3 groups here:

1. Businesses who interact mainly with external clients/employees
2. Businesses who interact mainly with internal employees/clients
3. Businesses who do both

By pushing a new internal-oriented "homebase" app that doesn't currently have all previous basic capabilities to interact with external clients/employees, RC has created a sense of abandoning it's first and arguably largest base.

Photo of John Craven

John Craven

"RingCentral has a wide variety of customers and each have different business requirements. " 

So don't FORCE Glip on those of us that ONLY use your voice/sms/meeting features!  

Bummer that this is just getting lip service.
Photo of Becky Higgins

Becky Higgins, Employee

Hi John,  As part of the transition, we will be introducing the ability for admins to turn off feature access for users in the RingCentral mobile/desktop apps. No one will be forced to use Glip if it doesn't make sense for their use case. :) 
Photo of Becky Higgins

Becky Higgins, Employee

Hi John,  As part of the transition, we will be introducing the ability for admins to turn off feature access for users in the RingCentral mobile/desktop apps. No one will be forced to use Glip if it doesn't make sense for their use case. :) 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

@Becky Higgins this is not what we are being told by Customer Success Managers in the field.  It is being made clear there will be no more Mobile App or Desktop App development and no access to use these apps after the product kill date.  
(Edited)
Photo of Derek Aguilar

Derek Aguilar

Hi, I just transitioned to using the RingCentral App (v6.3.0.1.229) and I like it however I have to switch back to my RC Phone app because I cannot send SMS messages from my main company number, it defaults to my extension number and there is no way to select the outgoing SMS line. This needs to be fixed.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Derek! Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, this is planned :) You can follow this thread for further updates!
Photo of Lisa

Lisa, Champion

• 1,910 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am seeking to gain some clarity on this and have a couple of thoughts. 

When will the desktop app be available in 2020? As our Admin, I would like to be able to test it before they use it. Very few people on our team currently use the mobile app. One of the main reasons for that is that if a personal call comes through during their work hours, their RingCentral call gets interrupted. This is not good for business or for those who like to keep business and personal separate like me. For security purposes, there is nothing on my personal cell phone that pertains to work. Of those on our team who do not use the mobile app, it is because they HAVE to use the Ring Out option. Which brings me to my next question...

Is the Ring Out option still going to be available? Everyone on our team uses this ONLY. If it is going to become obsolete, we will need to start looking for a different company now before it is unavailable for our business. 

As I have said in a previous comment, our team will not use Glip and therefore this update makes RingCentral more of a hassle than a help to our team. Especially with the security concerns like Cecil voiced above. 

I am not trying to be difficult at all and am willing to work with how RingCentral thinks things need to be changed to improve. In addition, I also think that it is important for RingCentral to listen to its customers before making changes and trying to fix things that are working well. RingCentral has a wide range of clientele who use its services on varying capacities. Please keep this in mind when going through your process of making changes as your changes affect everyone. 

Thank you for your service and your time!!

(Edited)
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Lisa! The Product Team is still working towards getting the desktop app ready. So we don't have all of the dates yet. Don't worry, though, you will be able to work with your Account Manager so that you can view it before it gets rolled out :)

Good news! RingOut is coming for the mobile app in Q3 (as long as there are no hiccups in the roll out schedule) and it will also be available next year for the desktop app.

Totally understand that you don't want to use the Glip team messaging feature - you can turn that off :) Talk with your Account Manager so that they can help get that setup for you and your users.

You're not difficult at all! As always, thanks for your feedback :) and I love having you here on Community. You actually brighten up my day a lot :D
Photo of David Heier

David Heier

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Saadet, you and others at RC keep talking about the ability to turn off Glip features. What about turning off the entire Glip UI? That's what would be helpful.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

2019-10-28:::

You can have GLIP turned off by submitting a Support Case or having your Customer Success Manager get it disabled. 

That is how we handled turning off GLIP entirely.

Unfortunately the Service Web Login page drives folks to attempt logging into GLIP first - we have had to send this pic to hundreds of our users every day

Feel free to copy and use our graphic if you need to direct your users the same way

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html

Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

I stopped using the ringcentral (glip) app for phone because upon turning my phones to my direct extension to answer my rc phone app would ring i would grab my phone and by the time I'd have it in my hand, the single ring I got would be over and it would say I missed a call. It seems the calls didn't know which way to go or something to that effect. If eliminating one of the apps clears that up I guess we will see.
Photo of Amie

Amie

• 472 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Good morning.  Can you provide an ETA as to when the Phone capability will be available in the Ring Central app?  In the meantime, I am telling my team to not install the RIngCentral app, and keep the RC Phone app until the calling feature is resolved. 
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

It's up to your admins to enable telephony in the new RC app.  If you are logged into the new RC app as an administrator, click on File > Administration and look for the toggle in Company Settings.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Thanks for helping out, Bob :)
Photo of Oliver Orlicki

Oliver Orlicki

The phone portion including SMS, phone calls etc needs to be completely revamped for this app before the Desktop app is scrapped. Sending SMS and calling interface should be the same as it was in the Desktop app. The fact that it's removing usability is inexcusable. Migration should always be to a better product, not an inferior one.

The footer navigation on the Phone app should have been the first thin included when adding the phone to the RC app. Ability to one click SMS, Video conference, Call Conference, Fax etc is such a nice usability function. Why wouldn't you include that?
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 3,338 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Agreed that the phone/fax/SMS part of the interface is clunky.  I also cannot see any details for the user unless I go find them in People and dig down to View Profile, and even then on last check I couldn't even see the full phone number for someone in my company.
Photo of James Reyes

James Reyes

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
going to agree here... SMS is almost list an afterthought in this app and for us it's the main way we communicate // can this be more like RC Phone for Windows??
Photo of Mark Blake

Mark Blake

I dont really understand this,   where does Glip fit in?
(not to mention I do not understand why Glip is actually named Ring Central after installing it)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

They have renamed the software that was originally named Glip to RingCentral app.  They are removing the RingCentral Mobile app and the RingCentral for Windows Desktop app with HeadsUpDisplay and forcing all users to just use the version of Glip they have renamed. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Mark, Glip is the Team messaging feature within the RingCentral app (you can learn more about the name change here). If you're not interested in leveraging the Team Messaging feature, you will be able to turn it off :) 
Photo of Mark Blake

Mark Blake

thanks..  but my question is,  I am a Glip user, not a Ring Central user.   I am not asking whether we can turn the Glip features off.      Ring Central service comes at a significantly higher cost than Glip so does this unification mean your Glip customers will be forced into paying more for the product?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Mark, since you're already a Glip only user, nothing will change for you :) We'll still offer Glip as a separate feature
Photo of Kristen Hanna

Kristen Hanna

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Will we be able to upload our company contacts to the Glip app? We use the other app for this sole reason.
Photo of James Ransom

James Ransom

• 60 Points
Hi all.  We use both the current Ring Central Apps on our iPhones, because my team runs two different companies on the Ring Central platform.  One app is RC Phone (used for my largest company), and the other is RingCentral, which we use for our smaller startup.  This allows us to track texts and calls for both companies on our phones.  By consolidating to one app, we will no longer be able to do this simultaneous contact for both companies, which is a big headache for us.  We've attempted switching to another phone service in the past, and always regretted it.  Nothing can beat Ring Central's SMS abilities, control over who the phones ring through to, and being able to see what calls were answered vs missed!  Please continue to support both apps, or come up with a way that we can still run more than one company through your current one.  I pay for 2 accounts, so we can have this functionality.

Thanks!
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,096 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
All you'd have to do is run multiple instances of the same app.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,478 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Built- inSoftware restrictions prevent you from running 2 instances on one workstation.  
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Easily fixable.

Michael Robinson

I too had to revert to RC Phone on iOS. Our auto-attendant has been sporadically failing since we went live earlier this year, and several times a day people bypass the auto-attendant altogether and get routed immediately to my extension (owner/admin). This is obviously not ideal since I'm not always available to be a human auto-attendant and route calls. I've opened several cases but they keep getting closed without resolution.

So in the meantime, I have to route 95% of the calls I get to the customer service queue (extension 2). Unfortunately, the RingCentral app doesn't support forwarding to the queue. From the RC Phone app, it works great (predictably, everything works great in that app really).

I also find it very difficult to use the RingCentral app for text messaging. Having text messages buried in a sub-menu while Glip is promoted to occupying prime real estate is tough. We do not use Glip (except accidentally) and would love to instead surface the text messaging functionality we use all day every day. I hope consideration is given to those of us (all of us?) that don't need or want Glip enabled and occupying such prime real estate in the interface.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

The SMS Outbound Caller ID function on Glip is broken and there is no way to manage SMS contacts, not even with Outlook or Google integration. This makes Glip a complete non-starter for any business that relies on daily text communication with their client base.

In terms of interoffice communications, Glip is a large step back from Slack, which is free. I don't see any advantage of using Glip over Slack, which everyone was already using anyway before RC bought Glip. If Glip does ever get updated to a complete basic phone/SMS functionality, we will be turning off the interoffice Glip communications portion as well.