Transitioning to the RingCentral app

• Announcement
  • Updated 1 day ago
  • (Edited)
11/21/2019  As our efforts to transition users to the new RingCentral app continue, we’re continuously updating this post with the latest information. Be sure to check back on the original post and FAQs for updates!

At RingCentral, our number one priority is keeping you productive while making our solutions easy to manage. In response to customer feedback, we are unifying our separate business apps into one application, the RingCentral app.

We’re beginning the process of retiring our Phone and Meetings apps and bringing those capabilities into the RingCentral app. The first step in this process is to retire the mobile apps by April 2020. 

There are no current plans to retire our separate business desktop apps just yet. The transition on desktop will only begin after we close all the feature gaps in the RingCentral desktop app. Until then, you will still be able to use the RingCentral Phone desktop app for advanced calling features such as HUD and the standalone RingCentral Meetings desktop app. 

This past August we began the process of transitioning users to the new RingCentral app. Accounts are being migrated over a period of time, similar to how we roll out our quarterly feature releases. Once your account has been migrated, the unified RingCentral mobile app will be made the default app for phone calls and video meetings. This means all your calls and meetings will automatically launch with the integrated experience from inside the RingCentral app so you no longer need the separate business apps. We plan to complete this process by April 2020, at which time no further upgrades will be made to the mobile apps. The apps will remain on the app store for a period of time before they are removed.

About 2-3 months prior to your scheduled transition date you’ll receive an email notification with complete details including the exact date your account will be transitioned to the new app. If you are unsure of who receives product notifications you can check which users are designated as admin users within the Admin Portal at service.ringcentral.com. In addition, users will receive messaging inside of the old RingCentral Phone mobile application letting them know they will need to transition to the new app by a certain date.

We’ve also put together some resources to help make your transition as effortless as possible. Here are some: P.S. As a gentle reminder, this transition applies to the mobile app only. You will still be able to use your RingCentral desktop apps.

FAQ

Q. When will this affect me?

A. This past August we began the process of transitioning users to the new RingCentral app. Accounts are being migrated over a period of time, similar to how we roll out our quarterly feature releases. We plan to complete this process by April 2020, at which time no further upgrades will be made to the mobile apps. The apps will remain on the app store for a period of time before they are removed.

About 2-3 months prior to your scheduled transition date you’ll receive an email notification with complete details including the exact date your account will be transitioned to the new app.

Q. I use advanced calling features like HUD which aren’t yet supported on the unified RingCentral app. How will this impact me?

A. You will still be able to use all these features on the desktop RingCentral Phone app as we have no plans to retire this until all of the features have been integrated into the new unified RingCentral app. 

Q. Can I turn off team messaging (Glip) in the RingCentral app?

A. Yes. Starting in mid-November, admins will have the ability to hide or remove the Message tab within the RingCentral mobile app. To do this, you must first contact support to enable the permission for your account. Once enabled, you will be able to turn on/off access to team messaging for users through your RingCentral Admin Portal.

Q. Who is impacted by this change?

A. All customers who are currently using RingCentral Phone and RingCentral Meetings on their mobile devices will be impacted. 

The transition is only for mobile only, so you may continue to use the RingCentral Phone and RingCentral Meetings app on desktop.

Q. What if I still want to use the apps after they have been retired and removed from the app store? 

A. You will be unable to continue to use RingCentral Phone app after your transition date. All RingCentral meetings will automatically launch from within the new unified RingCentral app, leaving you no need to use the standalone app. 

If you need assistance with timeline or would like to delay this for business reasons, please contact your account manager or RingCentral global support.

After the app store removal date, you may continue to use the meetings app if you so choose but keep in mind that support for these will be limited. 

Q. How do I install/get the RingCentral app?

A. You can download the RingCentral app here. Your users will soon receive in-app notifications pointing them to the RingCentral app in their app store.

Q. Can I still use my existing login credentials?

A. Yes, you’ll still be able to use your existing credentials to log in to the RingCentral app.

Q. Will all my data still be available once I transition to the RingCentral app?

A. Yes, all your existing data will be available in the RingCentral app

Q. What features do I have access to in the RingCentral app?

A. You will still have access to features you know and love plus team messaging, HD video meetings,* task management, and more. Existing RingCentral Office customers will now also have access to additional functionalities including multi-party calling, custom ringtones, and warm transfer.

For more information about your account and specific features, don’t hesitate to reach out to your account representative or RingCentral global support. 

*HD video meetings are not available to Fax and Pro customers

Photo of Becky - Community Support

Becky - Community Support, Official Rep

• 1,540 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Randy Edler

Randy Edler

• 532 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
A few inputs from a new customer -

1) If you create a RingCentral group text to multiple internal ringcentral users in the RC desktop phone application, when you are in the RingCentral mobile application, this text message conversation is completely gone. There is no indication that the conversation happened. Looking at the RingCentral Phone mobile app, the group text shows up no problem. This appears to be something that needs to be fixed.

2) I agree with MANY others in the community, the push of Glip into the product is way to over bearing. There are to many companies that don't need or don't want a collaboration tool set or they are just to large to allow their employee base to be doing what they want for security concerns. 
RingCentral needs to provide a way to disable the glip functionality until a company desires to deploy it. There are to many options in the RingCentral mobile app that a downright confusing and that trick people into downloading the RingCentral app, for example you can "Send Message" which many would interpret as a Text since they are interchangeable terms. Nope, this will send a glip message and invite someone to download glip which no one externally is going to do. 

Glip may seem like a trendy cool toy but it has a lot of things that the majority of RingCentral's customer base doesn't need or want. 
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 852 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would suggest something unheard of in the software industry.
First:  *STOP THE PRESSES"   *HOLD THE ROLL OUT* 
Replace the phrase  "We are in the process of retiring.....***

Take a focus group of 20 RC administrative users with varying degrees of skill  from large and small companies..   Half that already use Glip and half that do not. Get real world input from *LIVE USERS* to build the perfect product and scrap what the Ivory Tower Designers are trying to push.   Record the focus group, and watch the faces of some users who have their RingCentral Phone removed without any notice, and present them with FKA Glyp,  Ring Central App.

Keep Glyp Optional, or at least configure so Administrators can allow access only to the PHONE / FAX / Text.  Don't try to be like Microsoft Skype, Microsoft ruined it, still trying to make it work with weekly updates that are annoying as all heck..

Fix it and have it 100% perfect before rolling out.  Features working exactly like the RC Phone app before you even mention a roll out.

Beta test with 50 -  100 VOLUNTEER beta testers and get their input.
 Go back to the drawing board, and make it right before you roll it out.
Consider basic features that work right are more important than new and improved features that many users probably won't use...  ( I suspect this is going on now in the forum, but you can't see the people's faces when they try to figure out how to turn on the phone app, and visual reactions to everything else)

I know you paid a lot of money to acquire Glyp, and someone has a dream to recoup the investment.  Make sure it is right so it doesn't have the opposite effect and cause a mass migration to another vendor.

Having a web based phone like Packet 7+1 X 7+1  is a nice idea, but afraid it could be affected by browser infections and redirects.  VOIP is sensitive enough with the app, much less relying on ANY browser users want, IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Dolphin etc.  Maybeeasier to develop for 3 platforms, Windows, Mac, Linux than it is to develop for a myriad of browsers, or force users to use the one that works.

Thanks for the consideration.
Rickkee
(Edited)
Photo of Jonathan Whitehouse

Jonathan Whitehouse

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled URL Dial and Launch external app or URL on incoming call RC Desktop to RC app.

With the drive towards retiring the RC Phone and PC Meetings apps on Mobile and Desktop in the coming months/year, please can you review the feature gaps.

Upon testing the new RC combined app on a Desktop (Version: 19.04.8) I was unable to find a configuration for:
  • Launch an external app or a URL on incoming call.
  • No action when clicking a hyperlink in this format - rcmobile://call?number=+1XXXXXXXXXX

Both of these features are currently available in RC Phone Desktop. Will they be included in the RC Desktop app prior to your planned sunset of the RC Phone Desktop app?
Photo of Oto

Oto

• 578 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Seems a bit premature. Everyone resists change, and I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but I have two concerns:
  1. The announcement did not include a roadmap. If this transition is scheduled for next year, then okay, that gives admins some peace of mind. Better yet, do a layered deployment like many other companies do, where admins can opt out of the first transition phase.
  2. I have been testing the new RC app for months, and although RC is introducing features at a fast pace, it still lacks basic functionality. For example, it doesn't yet support call queues or integrate my phone contacts.
(Edited)
Photo of David Parent

David Parent, Champion

• 1,310 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
A percentage of employees in our office do use Glip. As an admin, in addition to having an on/off feature setting as mentioned above, I would also like a setting that would allow users to set the "Phone" (or other function) as the default launch screen instead of always starting with Glip.
Photo of Jason Peters

Jason Peters

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Totally agree.  How can having to switch screens in the app every time it is opened a feature and a time saver?  I want to make a call, not use Glip.
(Edited)
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 548 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have had this conversation with the development team for the mobile app months ago.  They mentioned they were going to look at this, but, I have not seen a resolution.  I also noted that you should not have to open a menu to get to the phone and contacts tabs.  There should be some direct button to touch when the app opens that can drive you directly to those services.

We shall see.
Photo of David Heier

David Heier

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I want a phone app, not an interstellar communication program. This iteration of Glip/RC app stimies productive phone call management. I need an easy and reliable business phone app. Oh, right, that's what I have now with the current RC Phone app.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,676 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Forcing your entire customer base into using one unified app does not provide the same functionality which were in RingCentral Mobile and RingCentral Desktop for Windows with HeadsUpDisplay. 

The new app based on the core product formerly named "Glip" does not offer adequate Enterprise Security options, including 
*Mandatory virus scanning for attachments 
*Capability for admin moderation of member messages
*Admin ability to limit attachments is "all or nothing" 
*Admins cannot limit who may message "all members" in an organization.
*Admins cannot limit who may create message groups or populate message groups  
*Many public entities require Message logging and preservation for legal cases.  

Discontinuing RingCentral Mobile phone app and RingCentral Desktop for Windows with HeadsUpDisplay is particularly problematic for many customers who use the Desktop HeadsUpDisplay to manage and monitor their phone system traffic, this will not be a feature in the new renamed Glip app. 

Despite comments and objections from a large number of users, RingCentral is forging ahead with this plan and not giving customers a specific date for when this forced change will be implemented.  This opens the way for other VOIP vendors to step up and offer better customer responsiveness and engineering solutions that work for their customer base.  

I see this as very unfortunate for a company that has consistently led in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for years and it does not bode well for customers under long-term contracts with RingCentral. 

Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 852 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello everyone.  I read the comments to some of the emails that often get overlooked in this forum.  I read a reply from official RC rep that:

Mobile app is scheduled to deploy Q3 of this year.
RC Desktop app will not begin deployment until sometime in 2020.

I, along with many others have with panic and anxiety expressed concerns.

Hope this calms the herd, I don't care if it is a single app or multiple as long as the "Enhancements"  provide the functionality and security of the current apps.

I think the subject of this discussion could have been better communicated ....

"We are currently working on consolidating the two applications into one for ( benefit, benefit, benefit here) sometime in Q3 2019 / Q1 2020

We are seeking community input in regards to the currently, (prematurely renamed) RingCentral App in order to deliver the best-in-class Telephony, Video Meeting and communication app in the industry.  We welcome your input in regards to the current RingCentral App, and we will be making many changes with respect to your input....

Keep up the good work RingCentral, I know you will do this right.

RC
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,182 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
You're hired.
Photo of Andrew Riley

Andrew Riley

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
it is now Q3 or this year.

Gimme
Photo of Julie Sperritt

Julie Sperritt

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We have several users who have had to move to deskphones rather than mobiles due to the fact that the InContact Max Agent does not integrate with the Glip/Ring Central app. This basically means that any Incontact/call centre agent cannot use the mobile app as their endpoint. As we were completely missold on this, we have had to replace the mobile devices for these users with deskphones.

We are using Glip as a communication tool, but the only way these users can access it is via the desktop app - plus some users just find desktops simpler to use than a mobile device.

Why retire desktop apps?
And as already mentioned by so many, there is still ALOT of work to do to bring the Glip/Ring central app up to speed with the old apps. There are so many threads on the community that refer to missing features!

If you have a community, please at least listen to it and act on their feedback.
Photo of Andrew Riley

Andrew Riley

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
they wont retire the desktop apps. if they did they'd be in breach of contract and we could all packup our polycoms and head over to the new Zoom phone service that's coming.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Andrew,

While this effort is focused on the mobile app only, we do have plans to retire the desktop apps in the future, but not until feature parity is reached. Rest assured that we'll notify you in advance to give you ample time to prepare for this transition.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,676 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

UPDATE::: 2019-06-10  had a long teleconference with some of the RingCentral Mobile App team at RingCentral yesterday. 

It would seem the communications about transitioning to one unified app did not make it clear enough for a lot of us to know the Mobile App is still in development and they are looking for what changes to the Mobile App can align best with use for all their customer base, including  Enterprise Security needs.   Stay Tuned for further info.

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/glipsec.html
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

The new mobile app should mirror the functionality of the new desktop app to the extent that a smartphone can. It sounds to me that they are overcomplicating the direction of their programming.
Photo of Tron

Tron

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Could someone from RC comment on the plan for the Alternative Host feature to be rolled out? I see that it is not part of this initial transition, but i desperately hope it is coming in a near-term update.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Tron, I haven't heard of any update on this request. If I do hear something, I'll post on the separate thread for it :)
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just got the bad news today from my RingCentral account rep. As many other people have said, and I mentioned to my account manager when you first bought Glip, we see no need for this, and have no desire to use it.

Will it be possible to turn access to Glip off and remove it completely from the UI in both mobile and desktop apps? Companies don't like having a whole class of product pushed to them without any choice - especially when other tools like Slack or Teams exist. 

If the intention was to create a reason for your customers to stay with RingCentral, then I can't help but feel this will backfire - if it's not done well, then this will be the sole reason for us leaving. 

Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey David, you can. We mention it in the FAQ :)

Q. Can I turn off team messaging/Glip?

A. Yes. As part of the transition, we will be introducing the ability for admins to turn off feature access for users in the RingCentral mobile app.
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Thanks - so this new capability will result in Glip being removed entirely from the UI in the mobile app? 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

@David Phillips see our blog about the reasons we have decommissioned all use of GLIP in our organization - you can request your Customer Success Manager to have is fully disabled for all users organization-wide.

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/glipsec.html
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Great - thanks. Will get this sorted, but agree entirely that all this will do is make customers look elsewhere. 
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It would be beneficial to us to understand how this is going to be rolled out.  If this is going to be an update though the Google Play or the iStore and the switch will be "cold-turkey" we need an opportunity to inform, educate and train our staff.  If there will be a transition period where both apps will be operational, we clearly need those dates to make sure we are prepared for the changes.

Please advise on how this is going to be released.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Sorry for the delay, Carl!

Like I've mentioned before, we will be making this transition over a period of time.  While the migration date will vary depending on your account, you'll receive a minimum of 2-3 months advance notice via email with specific details regarding your confirmed migration date as well as additional resources to guide you through the process :)

For the RingCentral Phone mobile app, we are also sending out a series of targeted in-app notifications to alert your users of the upcoming transition and encouraging them to switch to the new RingCentral mobile app. 
Photo of Anthony Barton

Anthony Barton

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The ability to choose the main phone number when sending out a text is now there and seems to be working fine for us in the new RingCentral app.  I don't know that Glip will be something we will ever need/use.  To the RC employees that monitor this forum, it would be helpful to be able to choose the default screen that the app opens to.  Currently, every time you open the app its defaults to Glip when we are needing it to be the phone.  It should be phone, contacts, meetings, glip.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Can you post a screen shot of the main phone number option?
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Thank you. I was wondering if you were referring to the new smartphone app or new desktop app. RingCentral product naming has made it impossible to have a clear conversation on what is what anymore.

It appears the new desktop app still does not have this capability.
(Edited)
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey ACCOUNT,

The ability to select outbound Caller ID for SMS as well as Fax is coming to the new RC desktop app on 9/13 (barring any unforeseen issues) and will be available in your Preferences under a new field called "Outbound Caller ID" :)
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

If so, it will be the first time many RC users will be able to integrate the new RC desktop app into their operations. This will create a higher demand for contact management within the new RC desktop app as most users have a difficult time identifying contacts by phone number only.

Thanks for the specific date.

Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

The new settings appeared all day today in the new RC desktop app, however it doesn't seem to matter which Outbound Caller ID I select for Texts. The texts always come from the same main company number just like they did before. I signed out of everything and signed back in and the ability to send a text from another number still doesn't appear to work.

Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

I have tried multiple contacts and switched between main and direct numbers and still cannot get this to work. Can anyone else verify that this new feature of Outbound Caller ID for Texts does not work?
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Updated new RC desktop app from 19.8.1 to 19.9.1 and Outbound Caller ID for Texts still does not work.

Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Please open a case so Tech Support can look into what's going on.
Photo of Michael Cummings

Michael Cummings

• 268 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Are you able to schedule a conference call through the new RC mobile application?  i do not see the option currently.  
Photo of Michael Cummings

Michael Cummings

• 268 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Found it.  
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Yay!
Photo of Jarett Maiden

Jarett Maiden

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
There doesn't appear to be a way to for the RingCentral desktop app to recognize non-RC contact phone numbers when texting using Direct Message. However the RC Mobile app is able to make the correlation by syncing with the phone's contacts list.

This makes direct messaging texts very difficult to keep track of for end-users when switching between the apps for continued conversations.

The RingCentral desktop app should have the ability to recognize if the number if it's associated with a RC personal contact or an Outlook contact just as the RC mobile app does.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Even if the Glip desktop app can't manage contacts, if it could at least sync to Google and Outlook contacts then we could all start using it.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Jarett! This is something the Product Team is working on next year when they tackle the desktop app :) Right now they're focusing on getting feature parity for the Mobile App - next year we will begin working on the desktop app
Photo of Carl

Carl

I am starting off by letting everyone understand that this comment is a rant...

We keep hearing that the mobile app is going to undergo this development but that the desktop app is still months away from this transition.  THEN WHY ARE YOU HIDING THE RC PHONE DESKTOP APP IN YOUR "TOOLS/DOWNLOADS" SECTION?  We had a new employee start last week and they went through the process of downloading all of the applications for their phone and computer.  However, the only apparent DOWNLOAD button on the desktop page downloaded the RingCentral application.  

He came to me to ask a question on the system.  When I demonstrated the method, he was wondering why my phone software looked different from his.  He had the RingCentral app.  I went to the page and realized the issue AND I STILL DID NOT SEE THE LINK FOR THE RC PHONE DOWNLOAD.  Finally, after having to thoroughly read all of the small text, I found the hypertext link on the page to download the RC Phone application.

This is just unacceptable.  We need this fixed right away......PERIOD.  Please get your act together.  You are sending very different information to your user base than you are posting on your web pages and in this community space.  This is a persistent issue with RingCentral and our staff is at its end with these ongoing issues.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,312 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I tend to agree that if the desktop app is on the back burner, that the 'current' feature-full product for desktop should still be front and center on the downloads page, or at least get equal billing.  Fortunately we install the desktop apps for our users when setting up the PCs so we haven't run into this too much.

On a related note, I have to say that I'm disappointed that the new desktop app is getting such second-class treatment (we'll get to it when we are done updating the mobile app).  RingCentral's analytics must show that desktop app usage (either RC Phone or RingCentral Glip) lags way behind mobile use?
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 8,556 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hey Carl,

We appreciate your feedback. We've let the web team know of your concerns and they're looking into this. In the mean time, feel free to direct users here: https://support.ringcentral.com/s/download?language=en_US

Thanks! 

Photo of Kyle Gruber

Kyle Gruber

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is great, I love the RC/Glip app and figure this would be coming, but there is still one major problem.

It is still impossible to answer an incoming call forwarded to a call group from the RC app. The call immediately drops and the caller is seemingly sent into purgatory. Is there any plan to fix this, it's been an issue for around 2 years now?!?

Just to clarify, this is an issue with the mobile app only, not with the desktop app.
(Edited)
Photo of Joe

Joe

• 60 Points
We are having a few limited extension. We can call these extensions with the RC app, but you can't see them in the company directory by name. On the phone app everything is fine. Are there plans to able to display limited extension in the RC app?
Photo of Julius

Julius

• 62 Points
We have major call forwarding issues after we switched to the new Ringcentral App. We have talked to Ringcentral Support about this issue. After many hours on the phone and on chat, the issue was not resolved and the temporary fix is to revert back to the old Ringcentral phone.

Recently, we received an email telling us that the issue that we're having is a "normal behavior" and a "system limitation" of the Glip app. We are deeply concerned what would happen when the time comes that we are no longer able to use the old Ringcentral phone and be forced to use the Ringcentral Glip app.
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 8,556 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hey Julius, 

There are no current plans to retire our separate business desktop apps just yet, including the desktop phone app. The transition on desktop will only begin after we close all the feature gaps in the RingCentral desktop app. 
Photo of Carl

Carl

Can someone verify if this comment is on the desktop application or the mobile application?  We too have had concerns that the only way we will make the switch to the RingCentral applications is for them to provide ALL of the features of the RC Phone application at a minimum.  The biggest issue for us with the desktop application is that it lacks integration with Outlook.  We will not even start experimenting with that application until that feature is included.

We have been focusing on the mobile application and have noticed that the MEETINGS functionality is lacking the ability to see a shared screen and also be able to share your phones screen in a meeting.  So while there are some features in the mobile application that are improvements, if the full functionality is not there, it becomes difficult for us to train our staff how to use these applications when they are losing features and may have to switch between apps to do what they are currently used to.

I too have been discussing these types of issues with the Development Team and we are anxiously waiting to see how these things resolve themselves.