Transitioning to the RingCentral app

• Announcement
  • Updated 11 hours ago
  • (Edited)
11/21/2019  As our efforts to transition users to the new RingCentral app continue, we’re continuously updating this post with the latest information. Be sure to check back on the original post and FAQs for updates!

At RingCentral, our number one priority is keeping you productive while making our solutions easy to manage. In response to customer feedback, we are unifying our separate business apps into one application, the RingCentral app.

We’re beginning the process of retiring our Phone and Meetings apps and bringing those capabilities into the RingCentral app. The first step in this process is to retire the mobile apps by April 2020. 

There are no current plans to retire our separate business desktop apps just yet. The transition on desktop will only begin after we close all the feature gaps in the RingCentral desktop app. Until then, you will still be able to use the RingCentral Phone desktop app for advanced calling features such as HUD and the standalone RingCentral Meetings desktop app. 

This past August we began the process of transitioning users to the new RingCentral app. Accounts are being migrated over a period of time, similar to how we roll out our quarterly feature releases. Once your account has been migrated, the unified RingCentral mobile app will be made the default app for phone calls and video meetings. This means all your calls and meetings will automatically launch with the integrated experience from inside the RingCentral app so you no longer need the separate business apps. We plan to complete this process by April 2020, at which time no further upgrades will be made to the mobile apps. The apps will remain on the app store for a period of time before they are removed.

About 2-3 months prior to your scheduled transition date you’ll receive an email notification with complete details including the exact date your account will be transitioned to the new app. If you are unsure of who receives product notifications you can check which users are designated as admin users within the Admin Portal at service.ringcentral.com. In addition, users will receive messaging inside of the old RingCentral Phone mobile application letting them know they will need to transition to the new app by a certain date.

We’ve also put together some resources to help make your transition as effortless as possible. Here are some: P.S. As a gentle reminder, this transition applies to the mobile app only. You will still be able to use your RingCentral desktop apps.

FAQ

Q. When will this affect me?

A. This past August we began the process of transitioning users to the new RingCentral app. Accounts are being migrated over a period of time, similar to how we roll out our quarterly feature releases. We plan to complete this process by April 2020, at which time no further upgrades will be made to the mobile apps. The apps will remain on the app store for a period of time before they are removed.

About 2-3 months prior to your scheduled transition date you’ll receive an email notification with complete details including the exact date your account will be transitioned to the new app.

Q. I use advanced calling features like HUD which aren’t yet supported on the unified RingCentral app. How will this impact me?

A. You will still be able to use all these features on the desktop RingCentral Phone app as we have no plans to retire this until all of the features have been integrated into the new unified RingCentral app. 

Q. Can I turn off team messaging (Glip) in the RingCentral app?

A. Yes. Starting in mid-November, admins will have the ability to hide or remove the Message tab within the RingCentral mobile app. To do this, you must first contact support to enable the permission for your account. Once enabled, you will be able to turn on/off access to team messaging for users through your RingCentral Admin Portal.

Q. Who is impacted by this change?

A. All customers who are currently using RingCentral Phone and RingCentral Meetings on their mobile devices will be impacted. 

The transition is only for mobile only, so you may continue to use the RingCentral Phone and RingCentral Meetings app on desktop.

Q. What if I still want to use the apps after they have been retired and removed from the app store? 

A. You will be unable to continue to use RingCentral Phone app after your transition date. All RingCentral meetings will automatically launch from within the new unified RingCentral app, leaving you no need to use the standalone app. 

If you need assistance with timeline or would like to delay this for business reasons, please contact your account manager or RingCentral global support.

After the app store removal date, you may continue to use the meetings app if you so choose but keep in mind that support for these will be limited. 

Q. How do I install/get the RingCentral app?

A. You can download the RingCentral app here. Your users will soon receive in-app notifications pointing them to the RingCentral app in their app store.

Q. Can I still use my existing login credentials?

A. Yes, you’ll still be able to use your existing credentials to log in to the RingCentral app.

Q. Will all my data still be available once I transition to the RingCentral app?

A. Yes, all your existing data will be available in the RingCentral app

Q. What features do I have access to in the RingCentral app?

A. You will still have access to features you know and love plus team messaging, HD video meetings,* task management, and more. Existing RingCentral Office customers will now also have access to additional functionalities including multi-party calling, custom ringtones, and warm transfer.

For more information about your account and specific features, don’t hesitate to reach out to your account representative or RingCentral global support. 

*HD video meetings are not available to Fax and Pro customers

Photo of Becky - Community Support

Becky - Community Support, Official Rep

• 2,008 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Clay

Clay

• 1,080 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Seriously, how do I even initiate a phone call in the iOS app?  I see in another thread that there's supposed to be a "call" button on the bottom menu, but it's never been there for me.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times since this announcement was made, and I've never seen any method for using this godforsaken app to make phone calls.  Oh, and the app always has a red badge on it showing 99+ because I get notified of every call that comes through the company, for some reason.  So whether the call was to me or not, and whether it was answered or not, I get a missed call badge added to the app.  So annoying!!

This app is GARBAGE!!

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,806 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Oh, it's easy.  Here's the three step process.

1. De-install the new APP
2. Re-install the old APP
3. Make your call
Photo of Clay

Clay

I know, right??  The only reason I even re-installed it today was to capture that screenshot.  After I dig around a bit longer to confirm my suspicion that the app is still a total dumpster fire and CF, I'll be uninstalling it again.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 5,054 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm trying to give it a go (actually even uninstalled the old RC Phone app) but inconsistencies like this make me nervous.  The only thing I can think is that your organization hasn't enabled calling features for the new RingCentral app?
Photo of Clay

Clay

Ok, fair enough.  But here's the million dollar question?  Why should a user have to enable calling features when calling features are the PRIMARY REASON FOR THE EXISTENCE OF RINGCENTRAL??
Photo of Clay

Clay

And how does one enable this feature?  Shouldn't, oh, I don't know ... paying my bill ... be enough?
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

Well they are going to, at some point, have admins be able to enable/disable a number of the components of the new RC unified app, so you likely will see more of that idea, not less.  My guess is that they made it a manual enable when they first added phone features to Glip for people that were already using RC Phone and didn't want calls hitting both apps.

You hit on a key concept, though, that I think RingCentral might be missing.  The primary adoption of RingCentral is more than likely that the person or company needs business PHONE service.  For me, the new RC unified app will be successful only if it can be configured to have PHONE functions front-and-center.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

In the RingCentral (Glip) desktop app, an admin can go to File > Administration then toggle on "Enable Phone Features" under Company Settings.
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 964 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Bravo, Well said. The clients purchase it for the phone capabilities
Wishing this is something that all customers want and need is simply that.  A wish.
Make it the best PHONE APP, with an ability to turn on the other stuff, don't push it like Microsoft TEAMS which is why I think it is being pushed. 

Teams is a collaboration app, with phone Skype as  a secondary feature.
RingCentral shoud be the opposite of that.  Phone App with ability to turn on and other all the other distracting stuff.  We use Trillian for collaboration, for the simplicity and Skype for most all our clients.    I cannot fanthom trying to convince my customers to sign up with a free Glyp account to work with us.  Or Teams, or anything else.
Photo of Clay

Clay

So wait ... in order to enable a feature on the app they're forcing us to use, I have to download the app they're *not* forcing us to use?? :'D
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

Never thought of that ... @sadeet how would someone enable or disable phone through Glip without installing the desktop version?
MY "NEW FEATURE REQUEST" -- A CONVERSATION WITH RingCentral SUPPORT.

--12:45--

Hello! 
I am RChee - a chatbot. I can understand you best if you ask short questions, one at at time. 

RC: How can I help you?

Real person please

RC: I'll transfer this chat to a live agent. So they can locate your account please provide your RingCentral main phone number.

How do I hide the Messages Tab on the "new app" and add a Voicemail tab at the bottom, like the old Phone app?

RC: Thank you, and while you wait, what is your name?

Jason

RC: Hi, Jason.

RC: [Real agent: Polixenia]

RC: I understand you have a concern about the RingCentral app, correct?

Yup
My direct question is above.

RC: Checking it now.
RC: One moment please.
RC: Are you referring to Direct Messages?

The new "Messages" tab (bottom left) on the new app. I don't want it, don't need it, wasting space, and want the Voicemail tab back on the bottom tab. Hate having to reach up to the "top tabs" to select Voicemail vs. Calls.

RC: I see it now.

The old RC Phone app was perfect. Now forced to use this new app but don't want Message tab. And would like Voicemail and Calls on the bottom so easy to switch one handed.

The app should have a way to CUSTOMIZE the bottom tabs to make it look and work like the old RC Phone app

Never wanted or needed this new "Team Message" feature.

RC: I understand. Thank you for your feedback. I'm afraid we are not able to remove the "Messages" tab and having the "Voicemail" tab at the bottom is not available as well.

RC: That would be a great addition to our services, though.

Addition?
It was already part of your service for like 10 years
The "addition" is the silly "Message" tab

RC: I understand. What I mean is with the new app that we have. We recommend that you submit a Feature Request by logging in to our Community Site.

That's the "addition" that needs to be REMOVED
How about you submit the feature request for me? How about that?

RC: I can do that.

Or escalate this to an engineer
or management
or both
?

RC: I can log in to our Community Site and submit a Feature Request, but it would still be best if you are the one logged in to it and request for it. To do that, please go to http://www.ringcentral.com/community. This would help us prioritize the development of new features, so our Product Enhancement Team can work toward he availability of this feature.

"New Features"?
Ahem.

RC: They are still considered new as they were not available previously. We don't have the capability to customize the icons at the bottom.

But the Voicemail tab was at the bottom forever. It's not new. This is a usability issue, of an already expensive service we use every day.
Is the new RingCeteral becoming the "iTunes" of phone apps? How many features are going do be shoehorned into a single app? Soon have Music streaming tab? Maybe some games to pass the time?

---1:20---

---1:25---

A "Dating" tab might be useful too, huh?
Maybe RingCentral could buy Tinder or Grindr and add a tab for that.

RC: While we are sunsetting the RingCentral mobile apps first, the desktop apps will be retired later once feature parity is reached. You may continue using the RC Phone Desktop App until the first quarter of 2020.

I'm talking about the MOBILE APP.
I need to access the Voicemail tab with one hand.
At the bottom tab bar.
And don't need the new Message tab that is wasting space in a "Phone" application.
My thumb can't reach the "top tab bar" which makes the functionality convoluted.

RC: I received a word that turning the messages off via the RC app will be available in the future. As for the voicemail tab, I'm afraid we don't know yet when that would be available, which is why we are requesting you to post in our Community Site about this.

OK will do!
You might strongly suggest this to the "powers that be" as well.

It only make sense to have the voicemail tab reappear when Messages is hidden, as there will be space for it then!

RC: I understand your concern. I will make sure to pass this along.

Thank you!

RC: No worries, Jason. Do you have other questions for me?

No, that is all for now.

RC: Thank you as well for chatting with us today. Let me just take this opportunity to let you know about our Support Site. You can visit us and learn more about RingCentral at https://support.ringcentral.com.

RC: I'll be closing our chat session now. Have a great day and a nice weekend. Take care. Bye.

(Edited)
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,436 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Glip will be retired once the main Tinder/Grinder app has reached feature parity.

(Edited)
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 852 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Install the new RingCentral App?   Nah, Swipe Left.
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 852 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Okay, I drank the koolaid, not so bad until I tried to find my text message history.  It seems the only way to get to text message history is to pull up the contact I was texting.  Not only that, it is hard to get to, have to go to contacts and search.  With the Desktop app and old, fully functional, LEGACY app, I get all messages in chronological order.  What am I missing here? 

Where's my text history at-a-glance?

I tried, really tried for the most of 3 days, hopefully I can still upgrade to the WORKING legacy from the Pre-BETA, not ready for production app.
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 730 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Rickkee,

If you are on the Android mobile app, the text history is on the CALL tab at the bottom, then the TEXT tab at the top.  This gives you your text history by contact in chronological order.

From the start of this comment, I am still waiting for the MESSAGE tab at the bottom to be hidden.  I have been in contact with 3 people at RingCentral who have told me this is now available, but, I have been unable to find this process and they have not responded to my emails.

Carl
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,932 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
That's a solid question. I can see a chronological history of calls, voicemails, faxes, and recordings.  Can't seem to find it for text messages.  Doesn't seem any part of the 'Glip' portion of the app provides that type of look, for texts or team messages.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,932 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Carl, that's the same for the iPhone app.  On the desktop app, it doesn't seem to be an option.
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We've been with RC for about six months and have had regular call quality issues with the RingCentral App on mobile devices; most frequently, we get delayed audio and even repeating audio (e.g. a team member says hello and then 2 seconds later it repeats hello to the person on the other end) regardless of whether a user is on cellular or WiFi. We've also been having a number of issues with the RingCentral (Glip) desktop application that have led to loss in productivity. However, RingCentral support's answer to the majority of our issues is to use RingCentral Phone on the desktop.

Since we haven't found a solution to our mobile call quality issues, I decided to test RC Phone with a portion of my team. I've already received confirmation that there are no call quality issues, echoes, repeats, or delays, and that the overall call quality is far above the RingCentral App.

I want to move my entire team to RC Phone for their mobile devices, but fear the the, "We plan to complete this process by April 2020, at which time no further upgrades will be made to the mobile apps. The apps will remain on the app store for a period of time before they are removed." At this point, I'm willing to risk the app shutting down at some point this year so that my team can use their mobile devices.

With that, does RC Phone's voice/calling run on a different platform or codec than that of the RingCentral App's? I need to figure out why RC Phone seems to be exponentially better and more reliable with phone calls on mobile devices before the app dies out!
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 1,024 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Since upgrading to the latest version, all my personal phone numbers are formatted as +40 (76) 999-9999 and do not dial out.  I have to manually dial the 1, then the phone number  1407999999 to make a call.  It's getting worse, not better.  Praying I am in the last batch to have this broken, dysfunctional, counter-intuitive app forced on me.

New word in WikiPedia and Urban Dictonary - Glip  -  Usage "I can't stand this piece of Glip"  "He tried to call me, but his Glip would not dial the phone"  "Help, I've been Glipped"
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 10,660 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This is a known issue on Android, and should have been resolved by a patch released today. 
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,810 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Jessica,
Is the "patch" being installed on the RC side or the customer side?  Does the customer need to do anything on their end?  I see in the Call Log that the calls are being rejected b/c RC system views them as an international calls.

Hey Danno, 

The patch is in 20.1.12-- make sure you're app is updated to the latest version. 
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

You have to go to the store and fetch it the update, manually.  But it looks like you are in the web page, I don't use the web-central often, checking to see if mine is broken too.
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 890 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
In reading through this original message, the comment that the legacy RingCentral Phone mobile apps will NOT be available after April 2020 is a direct contradiction of what was previously announced.  There are numerous messages from RC on this Community board that said that the legacy apps would be available for some time.  We have been testing the new application and are not ready to make this transition yet. 

We are still waiting to have the MESSAGE tab option removed.  We need to see this platform more stable (after using for less than 2 months, the app stopped working and I had to reinstall).  We need to see that the bluetooth connectivity is more consistent and stable.  We have not seen that Group Texts are able to be sent though they seem to be received.  Further, we have now started having significant issues with the MEETINGS functions (with tickets submitted).

Ultimately we are looking for this platform to become stable.  We have been with RC for 2 years now and still have not found a stable satisfactory result and communications from RC have been confusing.  The fact you are still using the term "Glip" has my staff confused on what to call these applications.  
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

Anyone know of an alternative, reliable third party  SIP client I can use on my Android? 

I simply cannot stand this dysfunctional mess of an app, and it's not going to grow on me.  I've tried.
 I just want dependable in and outbound calls when I'm on my mobile.

Lastest disaster with this app,.... I allowed it pop-over (STOMP) existing applications.  I'm on a mobile cell phone call, and the GlipCentral Unified Mobile App  whatevertheheck you call it BLASTED a sustained ringtone that almost broke my eardrum, in addition, it came at the most inopportune time while I was having an import client conference call.  The PHONE app never did this, ever.  I can see having a subtle chime or tone to let me know, like a call-waiting beep, but not this obnoxious full volume, take over the entire screen, cellular call,  mic and speaker.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,626 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I'm not sure if the Vonage Business Cloud mobile app does that or not. I don't know if that's worth looking into
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

While counter-intuitive to what RingCentral is saying in this post, I've started moving my entire team from the RingCentral mobile app to RC Phone for phone calls. We started with RingCentral mobile, but after so many issues, we gave RC Phone a try and now use both programs synchronously on our mobile devices.

It's not a long-term solution by any means, since they're phasing the app out, but it's a band-aid until we find a third-party client or the RingCentral mobile application has its major bugs worked out.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,850 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@cody sadly RC is going to force retire the working RC phone and forcibly mandate we use the Mobile APP (aka Glip) by the end of this quarter. 
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

@Danno I'm really, really counting on the comment, "The apps will remain on the app store for a period of time before they are removed." Hoping, "period of time," is 6-12 months hahaha
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,850 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@cody  I just have a bad feeling in my gut about why Glip is being forced on everyone.  Reminds me of the Gov'ment assuring everyone asbestos was a safe building product or MTV awarding Milli Vanilli best new artist!
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Lol, put your tin foil hat away. RingCentral bought Glip in 2015 and ever since then, they're just looking for their ROI.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,818 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
jethro tull wins best rock artist ? SMH
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

Hahaha if nothing else, I'll get a good laugh out of this conversation.

I completely understand why they'd want to move everything to Glip as they're essentially hosting and supporting two separate applications. However, I fear they're in the middle of development crunch as evidence by a number of known issues with Glip, but the regular response of no ETA on a true fix. As I've posted elsewhere in these forums, RingCentral support has regularly told me to have my team use RC Phone on their desktops because they haven't worked out the kinks with Glip. It's the only reason I began moving my team to RC Phone on mobile because I figured if they're recommending the desktop version of it to fix our issues, then I wondered it the mobile version would also be a cure-all.

RingCentral has also promised to bridge the feature gap between the two programs, but I don't know if anything is being done to improve call quality and reliability. Focus is on barebone requests that affect most clients: things like managing contacts and expanding ring order features. A smaller company like ours which experiences DTMF issues, audio issues, refresh issues, and mobile issues isn't going to be their priority when I'm sure they have businesses 100x the size of ours with a functioning system.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Development crunch or value crunch? Slack does everything better (interoffice communications-wise) and it's free. This is a lose/lose situation for RC's investment. They should have just focused on modernizing their already existing & working app like all the other cloud-based communications providers did. But now, instead of being ahead in one app, they're behind competition in two.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Blake

Mark Blake

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Slack cant do Video conferencing for free, but Glip can so thats why I chose Glip for my company.         Glip also has Calendar and Tasks built in,   I am fairly certain we cant that add-on in Slack for free.  
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

There's always Hangouts and Outlook. Point being, all of the features that Glip offers can be found elsewhere for free and with better features.
Photo of Mark Blake

Mark Blake

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Your point was Slack does everything better for free, but it doesnt.   Outlook is not free either.     Where is the free app with better features?   Flock is fairly close, but doesnt have calendar.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

You're right, Outlook can be a one-time purchase and Hangouts is free.
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 880 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
My concern with conversation is not that we should be looking for other applications, but, that our phone system needs to work.  We need to know that we will receive all incoming calls, that our meetings will be clear and error free, that problems placed into tech support will be resolved.  You need to remember that RingCentral is not free either.  All of these options have costs and are appropriate business decisions and the functionality of each of the software packages mentioned will marry to different business operations.  The issue is that they are solid, reliable enterprise level solutions that may be lacking here.
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

I read in this forum, by April 2020.  The emails I recevied today say Jan 24th.  Which is it?

Hi Rickkee, 

Accounts are being transitioned in phases, with the final group being transitioned by April 2020. 
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 890 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I had a similar issue while I was on a meeting through my RC Meeting application on my computer and I received an incoming call on my cell phone.  The incoming ring took over my earpiece (headset) so I could not hear the meeting attendees and worse, the meeting attendees could hear the incoming call ringing as well.  When reported to RingCentral they acknowledged the issue but did not have a solution using the excuse that the Meetings app and the RC Phone app are 2 different applications so the RC Phone app did not recognize that I was on a phone call while in Meetings.  

So it looks like the new RingCentral application has NOT solved that issue.