Two Phones for 1 Digital Line - Home & Office

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Hello everyone.  I think this has been discussed before some time ago but I'm writing to see if there is a way to have two ringcentral desk phones at two different locations share one line.  I am a one person small business operator with a home and office location.  I have a Cisco SPA525G desk phone at the office and other at my home.  I am the only person who would ever use those phones -- i.e. nobody will be using the office phone if I am using the home phone.   Is there a way this can be done with one RC line?  I've been paying for two lines to achieve this for some time but want to cut the additional expense of the second RC Line.   Thanks in advance
Photo of Atty. Mark Kafantaris

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Benjamin Pina

Benjamin Pina

• 1,178 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Quickest, easiest, and cheapest solution is to just use your cell phone. 

I don't know the answer to your question though, to be honest.
Thanks!  I recognize that is an option but I'm old school and prefer a desk phone if possible.  It's got a much better feel and can do speaker conversations much better. 
I'm in the exact same situation Mark. That would be ideal for me also. While you could use your cell phone, the call quality is not the same and I can't use my higher quality headset.  I'm following this.....

Photo of Benjamin Pina

Benjamin Pina

• 1,178 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ok, what about another simple solution - depending on how often you work at home vs at the office - you could physically move the phone every time..?

I still don't have an answer to your question though. Lol. I don't think its possible though.
Photo of Michel

Michel, Champion

• 4,446 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
This is an existing option in RingCentral called shared lines.  When you create / setup a new line ensure you do it under the shared-lines section.  Then you can assign several phonesets to this same line and configure how you want them to ring.  Note that only some of the RingCentral phoneset models work with shared lines, so ensure you order the correct phonesets.

We do this type of setup often for small offices that only need 2 or 3 lines, but want 5 phonesets (eg. 2 reception, 2 offices, 1 lunch room).
(Edited)
Thanks, Michel. I am aware of the Shared Lines feature but my RingCentral account rep tells me that it is only available if you have at least two lines and if those lines are in one location.  Are they mistaken?  BTW, if this is a service you can provide, I would be happy to discuss. 
Photo of Christin Coles

Christin Coles

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I understand Mark's issue.  We are forced to pay for 2 additional lines since this feature is not available.  I believe that the shared lines option still requires you to pay for the additional lines and then share them which leaves you with the same issue of having to pay for additional lines when you just need the same line on additional phones. 
Some users are okay with the softphone (I am one of them) but there are some users (one of them the owner of the company) that need to have another desk phone. 
He has major issues If he uses the softphone.  Calls continuously get dropped or sound terrible when using the softphone. 
This feature was available on our previous phone system.  Really wish it was on RingCentral as well.
Photo of Elyse

Elyse

• 704 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Maybe you can try using the desktop app with a speaker such as a Jabra or a headset paired to your computer?
Photo of Michel

Michel, Champion

• 4,446 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I checked and we have never shared less than 2 lines and this is RingCentral's min number of lines for sharing.  Your only option to only use one line is to use the RC app on your cell phone.  For improved call quality we set the extension to forward all calls to our cell phones (not using the app to receive any calls), and then use ring-out in the cell app to make outgoing calls so that the caller-id shows up properly.

Any combination of RC windows apps and / or deskphones will get you in a situation that will require to pay for 2 lines.  We have tried this a lot and they have it locked down - min 2 lines for sharing, all phonesets have to be located at the same location (ie. same wan ip network).

Note that Elyse's suggestion will not work - I have tried it.  Your phone numbers can only be registered to a single device (phoneset or desktop app, not both simultaneously - you would have to logoff/disconnect from one before using the other)

Thanks for confirming Michel.  It's unfortunate that RingCentral will not support this.  I can understand when two lines would be required but a one-user system should be able to use two desk phones in different locations.  Its enough for me to start exploring other service providers. 
I've checked out Nextiva and they can do what I need for 35 a month out the door.  I think I'm going to switch. 
Photo of Malky Goldberg

Malky Goldberg

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I happened to have had a desktop app (with a headset) at home and a desk phone in the office and I put by settings that it should ring by both at the same time. I never bothered me that the phone was also ringing at the other location.