Unified application for Meetings, Glip, and Softphone Discussion

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Planned
  • (Edited)
I am an enterprise user - my company uses RC for phone as well as RC Meetings & RC Rooms. I am getting pushback from my user community over having separate applications. Are there any plans on the roadmap for a unified application that would bring together the Softphone, RC Meetings, and Glip? Any info on this would be appreciated.
Photo of Matt Smith

Matt Smith

• 678 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David Parent

David Parent, Champion

• 1,180 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I was told shortly after becoming a RingCentral client that combining the apps was on their road map. After seeing how independent RC, Glip and Meetings (Zoom) are, it's unlikely that they can effectively combine the apps. Would really like to see it happen though.
Photo of Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Can I ask David, how long have you been a RingCentral customer? Just want to get an idea of how long people have been waiting on this. I certainly agree with you it would be an undertaking, basically an entirely new application, but it would be much more user friendly.
Photo of David Parent

David Parent, Champion

We've been with RC for a year and a few months.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 20,660 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2887 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

01-17-2017   We have been with RingCentral since June 2016.  Michael Fehringer (Admin for this COmmunity Forum)  is working on an update for this topic.  
Photo of David Parent

David Parent, Champion

Hi Cecile, nice to meet you. Hopefully Michael has good news!
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

USA-based acct | 2887 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

01-17-2018  NIce to meet you too David Parent - even if Michael does not have the answer we are all waiting for, the integration team in engineering is working on it.  How long it takes is always variable depending on how many systems have to be made to talk the same language (in computereze, not the human variety) and sometimes this takes a long long time.  They are not ignoring us - it is a much more complex problem than it may appear on the surface. 
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,382 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Following because I am interested too.  

I will add that I am happy with the recent integration of the soft phone directly into Glip for desktop and Glip mobile.  It does feel like Glip may become the base for everything to be built off of in the future.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey folks I still don't have an ETA on the official release, but I'm personally tracking the topic closely and testing it out myself.  There is a private beta going right now.  If any of you want to get involved just send me the email address associated with your Glip account and I'll get your info to our Product Manager so you can get included and give it a test ride.   I've been using it for a while and really like what they are doing with it.

Send your email to community.support@ringcentral.com so that you don't have to post it publicly. Once you have received confirmation of being added to the Beta Group, please follow these instructions to get started with the new RingCentral phone features on Glip:

1. Sign out of each Glip app you use and then sign back in with your RingCentral account.

2. Confirm you can see the Phone tab in the left pane (Web/desktop), tab bar (Glip for iOS) or navigation drawer (Glip for Android).

3. The new features are currently available on the Glip desktop app (Windows, Mac), Web (Chrome browser), the Glip iOS app and the Glip
Android app.
(Edited)
Photo of Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Hi Mike, thanks! I just reached out about getting involved in the beta.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

01-17-2018  Thanks for this update Mike!   What is the unified app going to be named under  RingCentral Mobile?  RingCentral Glip?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No idea on the naming.  I'm sure they'll keep that quite until the release and official announcement.
Photo of AndayS

AndayS

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merge Glip into RingCentral for Windows/Desktop.

I know Glip is "integrated" into the RingCentral for Desktop app, but it literally is a glorified hyperlink. You click it, your browser pops open and asks you to sign into your Glip account (another sign-in in a word of too many logins) and congrats, you are using a web-based chat program and are completely disjointed from your RingCentral app and any conversations that you may have going in it.

Option 2, you can streamline the process by installing the Glip app on your system and take up hard drive space to have an almost identical interface to the Glip website with no apparent added benefit except for getting closer and closer to seeing how full you can get your C: drive without having to clear your cookies.

So now that my rant part is over, the idea I have is to either add the features that Glip has over the RingCentral app into the RingCentral app, or truly merge the Glip app into the RingCentral app so that it doesnt have to pop open another app just to use the Glip Features.
Photo of Matt Smith

Matt Smith

See the response from Mike further up this thread. I've been using their beta version of Glip with the softphone integrated and it works pretty well. I've been using it on desktop and mobile with no issues. Perhaps you can reach out and he'll add you to the beta. I'm still not sure when this is primed for full release though, or when we'll see proper integration between RC phone and RC meetings...
Photo of AndayS

AndayS

Thanks Matt.
Photo of AndayS

AndayS

I was being a little sassy and you took the time to inform me of something I didn't know about. I appreciate it. :)
Photo of Tim Banting

Tim Banting

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This would be excellent- especially given this is the way Microsoft is going with Microsoft Teams.
Photo of HootSuite App

HootSuite App

• 4,462 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Create a Single App.

In response to kawika on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/kawika/status/898...

@RingCentral Why have RingCentral for Mac and RingCentral Meetings as separate apps? We'd find it more handy to simply have "RingCentral."
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I've heard talk of a "Super App" for desktop.

I was speaking with a product manager from RingCentral about a month ago and they mentioned a "Super App" for desktop that would include meetings integration and make the phone portion of the application much smoother like RC Phone. Spoke with the account manager yesterday and she said that was not happening/ it was only for mobile. Has anyone else heard about this "Super App" being for desktop or was I mistaken?
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 62,266 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Nicholas Laws :)

We are indeed working towards a unified application. It will take some time and involves multiple release cycles but our Product Team is working on it!
Photo of Jon Erickson

Jon Erickson

• 60 Points
I cannot wait for this combined app. Between my IT team not installing the phone app and especially users not knowing to use the phone app for audio calls and Meetings app for 4-person screen share/phone calls, it has been challenging not to get people to use other services for audio calling. It's so bad with confusion among the apps that I have to refer to Meetings as our team huddle app, just to get users to understand why they need the softphone app.

Again, cannot wait for a combined app. Several frustrated and confused people.
Photo of Julie Sperritt

Julie Sperritt

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
So I'm using the Ringcentral/Glip mobile app and am pretty happy with it for my users as it integrates the main functions we use.

HOWEVER - the phone app integrated with Max Agent/InContact so that a user could launch Max Agent using their station ID and use a mobile as their endpoint. Glip does not allow this and forces the user to either use a softphone/handset endpoint or enter the ringcentral phone number, neither of which are suitable solutions for us.

I am assuming this was overlooked and not by design? Any ideas on when it will be rectified?
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 62,266 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Julie, I followed up with the Product Team on this. Currently it's not on the near roadmap. However, I've shared with them your feedback :) I totally understand how this would be helpful to you and your team!
Photo of Julie Sperritt

Julie Sperritt

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's really needed - we bought the system on the premise this worked (as it did at the time we were sold it) and now it doesn't!

It would help if anyone can vote here: https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/ringcentral-glip-app-missing-functionality-to-connect-with-max-agent-for-incontact-using-station-id