RingCentral Meetings: need to test Meetings beforehand (running into firewall issues)

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
A brief description of the business 
* Software company

A high level description of the product or feature being requested
* We meeting software test, before the presentation.  

A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature
* 50% of our Web meetings with our large corporate prospects is
not working because of firewall issues. When we use GoToMeeting – We NEVER have
this problem.  Other services have ability
to test, but you don't.  Its presenting a
serious credibility issue and we are losing valuable time for the scheduled
presentation.

Benefit of such feature
* Above 
Photo of Mitch Musgrove

Mitch Musgrove

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jeff Foster

Jeff Foster

• 64 Points
I am having this issue constantly and need to have a solution or take our business elsewhere 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 92,916 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Depending on exactly what the issue is, this may fix the problem. There was a recent change for the required network settings. 

Update to Network Settings: 
RingCentral Meetings users should add the following Ports to their firewall rules: 3478-3479 UDP & TCP 

The full list of required settings is on the following page: Network requirements?

If you have everything properly configured then please open a support case so we can troubleshoot your issue. 

(Edited)
Photo of Matt Ready

Matt Ready

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So would our customers have to add those ports to make sure it's not being blocked?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Matt, we can't say for sure since we don't know if their existing firewall will be blocking those ports. But, there are lots of cases where it will work just fine for them. So, if it's an important meeting, I'd just send them a quick test meeting invite to test it out before hand. 

Mike 
Photo of TH-Mike

TH-Mike

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sorry - but when you're setting up a meeting with a client in a large global corp. You can't ask them to go "check their firewall settings" in advance. There should be a test link so they know beforehand. Also - like many competitors, a clientless web viewer that does not require install would be hugely beneficial. I really wish this would become a priority for you guys. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

I can understand the issue. We'll leave this as an open request so our product team takes it under consideration.
Mike
Photo of Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Did you guys fix this? Goto and WebEx don't have this issue at all. Seems ridiculous and likely will cost you business.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Andrew.   I can't provide any ETA or specifics on this, but I can say that our Product Team has been working diligently on the Meetings feature and there will very likely be a solution coming. 

Mike 
Photo of Mitch Musgrove

Mitch Musgrove

Please also make sure that your development team focuses on a solution that can perform successfully in a very secure firewall scenario found in Fortune 100 organizations.  
Photo of Aenea

Aenea

• 60 Points
I'm still having the same issue today, September 9, 2018.  Maxient is attempting to provide a product demo and I cannot access the meeting. There is no support documentation or knowledge base items that seem to provide any help.
Photo of Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm having this exact problem, some of our customers aren't able to join RC Meetings because of firewall limitations. I assume they need to white list "ringcentral.com" and some other domain names but I'm not sure. If that's the case what is there that RC product dev teams can do to mitigate this problem? The only thing I can see is point all RC Meetings to Zoom URLs which most companies already have white listed. What's the update here? This problem was raised 3 years ago.

In the meantime I would like to be able to provide my customers with a succinct email telling them what IPs or domain names their IT departments need to white list in order for us to communicate over RC Meetings. Could RC support provide this list? (Forwarding me to the network requirements PDF is NOT what i'm looking for. I need support to tell me exactly what needs to be white listed)

What Saad pointed out below about allowing attendees to join from a browser is great and does work, however for my customers with firewall limitations, it will still not work because they can't reach out to rc.com.

We need a test method for attendees too.

-Ben
Photo of Jessica - Community Support

Jessica - Community Support, Official Rep

• 4,154 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ben, 

meetings.ringcentral.com and *.zoom.us need to be whitelisted. For more information, check out table 4 on this KB article
Photo of Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Jessica.

I think for Meetings specifically from what you said and from what table 4 says from that KB article they would have to white list meetings.ringcentral.com and *.zoom.us

"
RingCentral MeetingsRingCentral Meetingsmeetings.ringcentral.com 
*.zoom.us443
"

Can you confirm that this is all I would need to tell the customers to white list?

Also, could you confirm if there is a ringcentral meetings test URL or not like how GTM has? This is their's:
https://support.logmeininc.com/gotowebinar/help/join-a-test-session-g2w060001

Thanks,
Ben
(Edited)
Photo of Jessica - Community Support

Jessica - Community Support, Official Rep

• 4,154 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ben, 

Those two domains are all that I'm aware of and that are listed on our Knowledge Base, so you should be in the clear with whitelisting those two exclusively. At this time, there is not a meetings test URL for RC meetings. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 56,004 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Everyone! We do now offer the ability to have your attendees join the Meeting via a web browser, which may help with this :)
Photo of Mitch Musgrove

Mitch Musgrove

Thanks for the update. This is good news. Would be really helpful if there is a link they could click on to verify/test that the web meeting will work with the "viewers/participants" firewall configuration.  As mentioned, this is going to come up on a regular basis when dealing with viewers/participants in organizations with >5,000 employees. Keep in mind that it is difficult for some users to communicate with internal IT resources to understand what is happening. This is why a link to test is necessary.  
Photo of Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The join from browser is very helpful, but still, as Mitch is saying, this needs to be fully resolved if we're going to stay on RC platform at all.
Photo of Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Updating this with findings since 3 months ago. I wanted to clarify the root cause.

The problem is not necessarily the app, although some companies aren't able to join our meetings because they aren't allowed to install apps on their laptops, not ours or RC's problem, just mentioning.

That being said, joining from the browser or the app doesn't make a difference, the point is the attendees don't have ringcentral.com white listed in their network/endpoint firewall ACLs, so the meeting still won't work for them. It makes no difference what application they're joining from, it's the networking that's the issue.