Control ring order of Desktop App and Mobile App.

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Planned
  • (Edited)
Or allow us to customize the order we want our devices to be used in.

Why is  user, call handling and forwarding so the "softphone and smart phones" is hard coded to be rung first before the other devices. Softphone should be separated smart phones and allow the user to determine the order.

Allow us to customize our call flow for each device: desktop app, smartphone, and hardphone.
Photo of E. M Scott

E. M Scott

• 3,242 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian Quick

Brian Quick

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree.  Everyone watching this should try to comment to find out the status.  The app is unusable to me for this reason.  Not to mention, I have to force close it to stop it from ringing when my desktop and soft phone ring at the same time.  Come on RING CENTRAL.  Get going!
Photo of JD

JD

• 706 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yep, definitely something we need... I don't even understand why it wasn't programmed that way to begin with? Seems like they went out of their way to separate it for some reason.
Photo of Pete

Pete

• 558 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What's the point of voting if, after 3 years, we see features added nobody wants (Glip, for example) but basic functionality additions like controlling where calls ring are ignored?  I mean, you're a software VoIP company, this should be bread & butter stuff.

Or, just tell us why it can't be put in, and close the request? 

Is it "Community" oriented to just have a voting feature for your customers only to ignore them?
Photo of Stephen Bianchi

Stephen Bianchi

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Fully agree with Pete.  Ringcentral is for sure not the most economical option and we should see more rollouts of features people are asking for.  
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,226 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
the company and mods on the board actually do a great job at responding / addressing issues brought up on here, in my experience. I use glip everyday in my company to schedule tasks and stop for my techs. some requests im assuming are easier to institute than others, so they take careful planning, testing and implementation. they're not going to just throw stuff onto their world wide platform at everyones whim. yeah its annoying that things that seem easy arent here but the only way to make it better is to bring it up and see what happens. (yes its been brought up for 3 years im aware.)
Photo of Pete

Pete

• 558 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
So what you're saying is bring it up and be ignored: Done. We all did this.

Vote: Done.

I'm not "annoyed."  I'm more perplexed as to why are we all here requesting features of such simplicity and being ignored?  Why would I, in the future,  bother to give further feedback or feature requests if I am ignored?

Glad you like Glip.  I just don't see myself using it due to its dependence on RC, and how there have been 3rd party tools available for years that don't tie me to a particular VoIP provider (That has me locked in rigid contract and I can't lower my rates until that contract is renewed.  Funny how the rates can be increased though!) just to use collaboration features.  And I'd never heard of Glip before last year, why would I trust them again, especially when they were just "pushed" on my service plan?  Will Glip be around in 5 years if nobody uses it or they go out of business?  Is this why my RC rates are so high, to pay for development or licensing for collaboration software I never asked for nor desired?  But we digress...

This isn't a whim or fringe request.  As others have mentioned, this is a very valuable feature that would really benefit customers in a myriad of ways.  It would absolutely save time, which I think most of us agree is extremely valuable and appreciated. Where I work I have had multiple users directly request this ability, which led me directly to this thread.  I was amazed it was still active!

But on a bigger scale, this seems like a breakdown of RingCentral Support.  I'm actually totally fine with them just saying, "Sorry, our licensing agreements stipulate we can't do this, or, it would cost too much, or, we can't find the dude who coded this, sorry yo." But to leave a voting feature in place, community feedback, then post an image that doesn't address the actual concern?

What happens when I just stop seeing stuff working that I have come to rely on and give feedback or "vote."  Will I just be ignored?

Not a rant to community members or volunteers, as in general I've found a lot more stuff on here than in RC's poor documentation.  This seems, in general, like RC support management is broken.  And on that, I think my own contributions are done here, there just isn't any more to be said about this.
(Edited)
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I could not agree more. RC is perfect example of where customer service has gone today. We are still one of the service companies that still answer with a live person that has the ability to not only take a work order request, but can field a complaint, look up an invoice, check status of work order all without transferring the call.

Bottom line, customer is handled. Since RC we have customers asking why they hear a cell phone ringing in the background? We put it on silent then when in the warehouse or copier room can't feel it. Missed call, missed opportunity. RC told to log in and out of app each time. Really? That's the answer? They are a software VoIP company, that's their wheel house.

RC Sales team said the feature was there. Nope.
RC Sales team said they could fix it. Nope
RC Sales team said they are working on it. Nope.
RC Sales team said put it out on the Community board. Really?!
Why should I have to that, fix the damn thing.

Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,246 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
keep this at the top of the board and we'll see what type of answer we get.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It isn't rocket science, it should be fairly simple.  Keep voting and keep squeaking, maybe something will get done.  Or, the best voting is with your feet.  At the end of the contract, walk away.  I've been told by my boss that she isn't at all happy with RC (dropping calls, can't answer calls, phones won't ring..... and we have only 3 phones!)  I've been told to find another vendor.  Preferably one that listens to its CUSTOMERS!
Exactly! Relatively easy fix. Right with ya.
yes!! please add this. It is rather goofy that the default is the way it is. All customers i deal with hate it. And the default "wait 5 secs before fowarding" also needs to be fixed. 
Photo of Edward

Edward

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request: Add the mobile app as an available forwarding option.

We deployed Ringcentral globally with the intention of being a Softphone (desktop app) / Mobile App only environment. Our users are trained to forward calls to another device when they are out of the office. Unfortunately, the forwarding option (under Users Call Handling and Forwarding) is limited to Softphone only. The mobile app is not available as another forwarding option which causes an issue if a user is strictly using the mobile app.

Can we please add the mobile app as a forwarding option?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 35,508 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Edward,

I read your reply to Mike after Karim voiced his need for the feature. What I don't think that either of you understand is that when you forward to the other person's desk phone or softphone you are ACTUALLY forwarding it to their direct dial number.

So, if you or your people follow my previous instruction on making sure that the Mobile App is turned on in Calling & Forwarding, the person WILL INDEED receive the call on their Mobile App if they are away from their office or computer.

If, for example, I worked for you and my direct dial number (assigned to either/both my desk phone and my softphone) was (999) 123-4567, you would simply enter either one of those as the device too be forwarded to. If I had the Desktop & Mobile App selection turned ON, the phone call would be forwarded to BOTH my desktop/softphone AND my Mobile App.

Does that make sense? Just try it and you will see that it does work. That's the way I get forwarded calls and forward calls every day!
Photo of Karim

Karim, Champion

• 908 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Allrighty man, I'm hearing you. I'll test this when I'm back at my desk and apologize afterwards. ;)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

No apology will be necessary. I'm here to help out fellow users as much as I can.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Note that this is the main point of this two page thread, which I agree with. Since I am often out of the office I would prefer to be able to choose to have it ring my Mobile app first, then my Desktop app and then continue on to the forwarded numbers. Others who might be in the office more would want it to ring on their Desktop app first and not have it ring on their desktop app AND mobile app at the same time if they are in the office.

Just remember that it's important for the RECEIVING party to have Desktop & Mobile App turned ON in the Calling & Forwarding section of their User profile. Anyone you want to forward to and have them receive it on their Mobile App must have it turned on or it won't go to their mobile app.
(Edited)
Photo of Edward

Edward

Hi Jan, thanks again for your input. Unfortunately, this really doesn't work.

Here's our workflow:

1. User1 is going on vacation. Under "Call Handling & Forwarding" > "Forward to another user's phones", he selected "User2's Softphone".
2. User1 is now on vacation and signs out of R/C for desktop and his mobile app.
3. User2 is logged out of his desktop Softphone but is active on his mobile app.
4. When attempting to dial to User1's direct line, the call routes straight to User1's voicemail, ignoring User2's mobile app.

**and yes, both users have Desktop and Mobile App selection turned On.

I've already raised a ticket to Ringcentral and they confirmed that the only way around this is by forwarding to a call queue or ring group, which tricks the system to dialing desk, softphone and mobile apps. The "Forwarding to other user's phone" option is device specific -- strictly for desk phones and softphones..  mobile apps are not part of that option yet (which is my primary feature request).

Hope this makes sense?
Edward
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Edward and Karim,

Okay...with your workflow I see how that doesn't work for you.

It is I who have to apologize as I didn't understand, or misread, your needs. I didn't take into account someone totally going off the grid (i.e., on vacation or otherwise  fully disconnected) and made an assumption. I tested under your scenario, based on the workflow you described, and you were absolutely correct. Sorry if I lead you astray.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,808 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

This by no means is a replacement for the feature request – but rather a temporary work around I have in use today.

I have a real estate client who has agents using the mobile app exclusively.  Sound much like what you have.  When an agent goes on vacation, another agent must field their calls so they can show the house, answer questions, etc.  So, the first thing I did was ordered a Google Voice number (free).  Then I created a “Vacation” template that is set up to unconditionally forward all calls to the GV#.  When agent 1 goes on vacation I set up an advanced rule for the days they will be going on vacation (that way I don’t have go in and remove when they return – it automatically stops forwarding).  I then log into the GV# and forward to agent 2’s RC DID.  When a call comes in for agent 1 it does ring agent 2’s mobile app.  And if agent 2 doesn’t answer, the call deposits into agent 2’s VM.  The good thing is this even works on internal calls when desk phone users dial the 4-digit extension for agent 1. Watcha think?

Photo of Edward

Edward

Hi Danno,

Thanks for the recommendation for your workaround. While it does work, I think this wouldn't scale well for a larger company with employees in numerous countries. Having an administrator manage everyone's unconditionally forwards doesn't help with our self-service model.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,808 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
No problem.  Just sharing my work around. 
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

any news on when we can start to separate cell ringing and app ringing? and set the order across all devices? 
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 60,118 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Chris,

Sorry, we don't have an ETA at this time regarding if/when the feature will be available.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,710 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
There probably aren't "enough" customers who want this.  That's the usual answer.  #customerservice
Photo of BOBO

BOBO

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We need to be able to make the desk phone the first thing to ring, not the computer and smartphone, however, I also need to have the ability to answer my smartphone when I am out running errands.  I could change this every time I get up from my desk but that doesn't make sense with this technology. Please make it possible to choose this for our individual needs. 
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

I just have the system set up to ring the desk phone and smartphone app simultaneously.  I can answer either.  Yes, it's a pain to hear my cell phone go off when I get a call, but it is functional.
Photo of BOBO

BOBO

We have our whole system for the whole company on so if I put on simultaneous it rings all our departments so for our office simultaneous is not functional.  Thank you for the feed back.
Photo of Tim Yandell

Tim Yandell

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request: Allow the Desktop App and Smart Phone to be relocatable in call....

Feature Request: Allow the Desktop App and Smart Phone to be relocatable in the order of calls for forwarding. I have been made aware that it is currently an unchangeable default to ring the desktop app and the phone app first. Needless to say, it seems illogical to have an incoming call ring my desktop application and my smartphone application first if I am sitting at my desk and use a physical phone. It should ring my desktop phone first and if not answered, revert to my Desktop App and Smartphone App. That way, it's an automatic forward if I desire it to be that way.  This would seem easy for you to do.  Per your request, we have 13 users - business account - United States.
Photo of Andrew Snodgrass

Andrew Snodgrass

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Move desktop phone to number one spot in order.

Under User Settings/Call Handling & Forwarding you can select to accept incoming calls in order by your preference. But I cannot move the Desktop app & Smartphone app from the number one spot. We would prefer to have our Polycom desktop phones ring first and then the app
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

and back to our original request for mobile apps to ring after desksets ......what news on this?

Sorry, I haven't received any information/ETA on this feature
Photo of Chris Shenton

Chris Shenton

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Three. YEARS.  Why don't you just say you're never ever gonna do it?
Photo of Brian Quick

Brian Quick

Then what would they do with this useless comment board?  SMH!
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 23,952 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Even if we can't reorder the desktop app I would be happy to have a simple delay timer to not start ringing desktop/glip for x seconds after other devices.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,842 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Amen brother!!
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

some way to not ring my cell app first while im sitting at my desk would be key
Photo of MANAGEMENT

MANAGEMENT

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled mobile app to ring after deskphone.

Is there any other way to ring the mobile app after the deskphone?

1. Account type  U.S
  2. A brief description of the business 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: have the capability to choose if Ill ring my mobile application after my deskphone 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: this is to give our company a chance to answer phone call even we are not on our deskphone where we primarily focus on receiving all call thru deskphone only 
  5. Benefit of such feature: privacy not to use personal number as forwarding number 
  6. Include any related case number if applicable 06584241
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 4 users 4 digital lines 
Photo of Inder Kocher

Inder Kocher

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled To Configure the Mobile App and change the priority to be after the desktop call ....

To Configure the Mobile App and change the priority to be after the desktop call forward.
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

Good luck!!! RC says there is no way to do this nor do they care if you want to do it. A topic for the last 3 years and is still unaddressed by RC. They want you to purchase the desk phones at doubly the price and then tell you there is no control on how you want it to ring AND that you should the apps. Don't know about you but I have yet to find a PC or cell that has better voice quality than a good Cisco or Polycom phone.   Please let my 2 year contract be up soon!!!
Photo of Ali Nasri

Ali Nasri

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agreed. It never even dawned on me that a desk phone couldn't be set to ring first. It is so annoying to have a bunch of cell phones going off when the desk phones are right there to be answered. I will have to revisit my search for voip providers after my 1 year is up.
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

Wait until you start transferring calls. When we get a transfer we have no idea who is on the other end. My 20 year old Toshiba system could tell me.
Photo of BOBO

BOBO

I'm with everyone else on the ring order issue, but as far as caller ID, if you are on your land line, don't put the line on hold or anything.  Push ##, the extension number, then # and it will show caller ID to whomever you're forwarding the call to.  NOT USER FRIENDLY but at least accomplishes the goal.  Our sales guys had to know what customer calls they were missing, this was the solution RC gave me.
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

Thanks BOBO, I will try that. Amazing that RC couldn't have told me that as well after the numerous calls I made.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

Do we have any newer info on this, board mods?

Sorry, no ETA at this time
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

No surprise there for sure!!!
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

so the only way ive found that works is, telling my customers when they do like to use the mobile app, is to show them how to sign in, even they arent tech forward, and show them where their forward to mobile app is and have them turn it on or off should they be leaving the office and want the calls to reach them. While im sure this is probably the original way it was supposed to work, people should not have to log in multiple times a day should they not want to. if they want to switch the order i get that part but shuold they just not want the cell to ring right away and just ring the desk a few times first, that should be something that should be able to set once and be done with it.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

i realize 156 votes of 3 years may not be setting the world on fire, this does seem like a standard thing that shouldve been addressed right along with, ringing this user phone first or then ringing an outside number or ringing another ring group of phones.
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

Why should anyone have to turn anything on or off. The call goes to the desk first, if no answer it rolls over (a term no one at RC knows) to their cell. Real simple.
Photo of Ali Nasri

Ali Nasri

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Precisely how it should work.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

@gaddy, i realize we SHOULDN'T have to turn anything on or off, but it's been the only true way to help my customers in my experience with this issue thus far. It may not be plausible to everyone else but it may help someone else, but im with you we should not have to toggle everytime we go in or out of the office. in all honesty it should almost be a quick swipe from the main screen upon opening the app, turn it of or off.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

Mike & saadet, is there a more detailed reason why this isnt being done? other than, "its not on the map" or anything to that effect.
Photo of Michel

Michel, Champion

• 3,378 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
You would think that since this is all software based, that the desktop-app, the desktop-phonesets, and the mobile-apps could easily have 2 features:

1) available / away status - when set to "away", then this device would not ring and would be skipped in the ring sequence (without having to log off / on)

2) auto-device status, based on all 3 of these types of devices being network aware (ie. they know if they are on the same network as each other) then only the one set as "primary" would ring when all are on the same network. If on separate networks, then they would ring in sequence as setup (or not ring at all if set to "away" or logged off)
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

that sounds like a good chain of events to me. !!!

Sorry, Chris. We simply haven't been given any information on this feature :( 
Photo of Ryan Jones

Ryan Jones

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please push this issue, 3 years is ridiculous! I think we all agree on what everyone has said, this seems like a very basic issue, it should've been addressed a long time ago! I've used other providers that offer the sequence to be totally custom to what you prefer. There's no reason it should be different with RC.
Photo of Ryan Jones

Ryan Jones

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please push this issue, 3 years is ridiculous! I think we all agree on what everyone has said, this seems like a very basic issue, it should've been addressed a long time ago! I've used other providers that offer the sequence to be totally custom to what you prefer. There's no reason it should be different with RC.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

After 3 years and the Community Support Official Rep hasn't been given any information in this issue, do you believe they care?  I don't.  The art of modular coding is gone.  If they think it will take an act of congress or a megaton bomb to get this into their system, their coders are lame. i don't see RC reacting or providing updates to anything but the rudimentary "who cares" items.  Their system is capable, their employees are not.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

Oh and I notice that there have been posting that were removed, mainly because they provide an alternate to RC or are overly critical. 
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

Yep, AND if you're not careful you will be a problem customer and put you on the naughty list. But they will still take your money. No wonder some government offices is using this POS
Photo of Val R

Val R

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Our company just switched from a different VoIP provider and I was surprised to find out that I cannot have desk phone ringing before anything else.  Looking through this thread that is over 3 years old, is there any hope it will ever be implemented?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Val, what do you mean you cant have your desk phone ring first?

would you explain your call flow so we could assist?

Thanks

Chuck 
Certified RC consultant
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 23,730 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Can of worms = open :)

Have you tried to have your desk phone ring and then your mobile and desktop app only ring after the desk phone has not been answered?

A lot of people would like to be able to this for various reasons.  For me, mainly because when I at my desk I don't want to hear my desktop and/or mobile ringing for the first 10-15 seconds or so.  Only if I go away from my desk would I appreciate the fact that my mobile will ring.  And I don't want to mess around with toggling settings, etc. every time I leave or return to my desk.
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

Chuck, my flow is I work a few hours at my desk then I may be out or away from my desk. When i receive a call or I'm transferred a call from my receptionist, I want my $400 desk phone to ring first, that's why I was told to buy one, if no answer then I want my Mobile app to ring. 
Photo of Tim Yandell

Tim Yandell

This issue seems rather basic and Brandon expressed it quite well.  A user simply needs COMPLETE control over the order in which R/C tries to ring the various options (desktop phone, soft phone, physically attached VOIP phone, forward to another number, etc.) and the duration of the ring attempts before moving on to the next option.  This seems like a simple setting option.  R/C is obviously doing this order in a hard-coded manner now with no options, so it would seem you could simply allow the user access to the variables you now have hard-coded by enabling options.  Just one more non-technical comment.  I suspect the disgruntled comments in this thread are because it seems like no one from R/C seems to be reading or caring about this barrage of requests and no response has been seen in literally years.  This is a VERY annoying issue.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,226 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Saadet and Mike do reply to us quite regularly regarding issues on here, the speedbump here is according to them THEY aren't being given information on why this isnt happening or if it will. They can correct me if im wrong.
Photo of Marcin Kuhiwczak

Marcin Kuhiwczak

Any updates?? My renewal is coming up!!!
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

I'd be looking at options.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

Welcome to the black hole of RingCentral Support!
(Edited)
Photo of Will Simon

Will Simon

• 1,194 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I think this feature (that is still a "request") needs to be bumped back to the forefront.

We're mid-deploy with RingCentral and already users are surprised by this lapse in functionality, myself included. 

It's also unsettling that the only official responses (minus merging this thread with others...amplifying its desire) thus far have been "Sorry" and "we don't have an ETA."
Photo of GADDY

GADDY

Welcome to Ringcentral Will. With the term “mid-deploy “ you must have a fairly large deployment in the works. Sorry but you’re trouble is only beginning. Wish you best of luck.
Photo of Truman King

Truman King

• 466 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow a delay setting so that Desktop App can ring before Mobile App.

Specifically, the Desktop App needs to be treated separately from the Smartphone App.

Ideally, it would be best if software would know if you were active on the desktop app or not, and forward to your mobile app (assuming you were logged in and open to receive calls) if you were idle.  Slack does this beautifully.

However, the easiest way to do this currently would be to allow users to set their desktop app to ring for a certain amount of time, then forward calls to their smartphone app. 

As it stands right now, if I stay logged in to both the desktop app and the smartphone apps, I get calls in both places.  This is quite annoying. 
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

i just want to make my deskphone ring before my mobile app. a second layer to that onion would then be, the apps should be separated, i shouldn't have to have my desktop app and smartphone app ring together unless i ask for it. i'd assume the answer to this will be " it's not on the roadmap" or something to that effect. Again the request for this is so old and seems rather normal so i'm not really sure why there's not a more solid answer given but here we are. All we can do is keep asking about it and bring it up every so often to shake the cage.
Photo of Brian Quick

Brian Quick

It's certainly apparent Ring Central doesn't care about this issue.  I'm curious to why?  Does this community board serve any purpose other than a sounding board of complaints that don't get addressed?  It's pathetic this is so old with zero progress or attention by the Ring Central organization.  

• 59,832 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Brian,

I understand your frustration. This Community Board is here to help customers who ask specific questions or need help with a configuration. We also monitor feature requests and send regular reports to our Product Team. So, yes, these topics are seen. However, our Product Team does not have the time to respond to the multitude of feature requests we receive per month, which is roughly over 100. Sometimes things can be a little tricky to implement due to the very nature of VoIP (which is very different from a POTS line). I have not heard anything from our Product Team on this when I have brought it to their attention. If I do hear something, I will most certainly share because I also would like to see this happen.
Photo of Jeffrey Bowles

Jeffrey Bowles

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am sorry, but the very nature of VoIP should make this easier. Every other phone system provider is able to offer this by having the cell phone be a different extension from the desk phone that is able to be configured with Dial plan rules. The free line should be a different extension or virtual extension that we the end users don't see but allows us to configure how the call flow works for our incoming calls.
Photo of Marcin Kuhiwczak

Marcin Kuhiwczak

So in the other words. YOU CAN WRITE ALL YOU WONT FOR AS LONG AS YOU WONT BUT WE WONT LISTEN.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

So after 3 years of us CUSTOMERS asking for this feature, the Product Team has nothing to say?  Well, that tells me quite a bit about RingCentral.  As everyone else has complained, these requests are not taken seriously.  I am seriously thinking that my contracts with RingCentral should be taken with the same cavalier attitude that the company has.  There are other providers out there......lots of them.
Photo of Tim Yandell

Tim Yandell

R/C was asked for this feature at least 3 years ago and consistently thereafter.  This is NOT a hard problem to address technically and that is coming from an organization that deals with telephony as part of our business.  R/C's priorities are simply not focused on what it's users are asking for.  They seem more focused on adding new "features" that add complexity, rather than perfecting the ones they already have in place.  Excellent support is not being performed here and vague responses about it being VOIP (apparently indicating that somehow makes it more difficult) seem disengenuous.  BECAUSE it IS VOIP, controlling it becomes a matter of software programming, and that is not dependent on hardware.  Of course, that's true ONLY IF R/C is not running on some physical platform that has this nonsense approach to call forwarding hard coded into its silicon.  If that is the case, R/C, please say so and say when it WILL be addressed and please stop ignoring us users.  That is why we do not feel well-supported by R/C.  Come on folks - surely you can do better than this!
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

Apparently they CAN'T do better than this.  Or they would have.