Mobile App: Using bluetooth headset to answer incoming call?

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
I am able to use my Bluetooth headset with Android RC App, however I can only use it to talk/listen, but not to actually answer the call. Is this a configuration issue, or is bluetooth call control not an option on mobile app? My goal would be to also be able to use the ANSWER/HANGUP button on my headset to take.end the call.
Photo of Robert Del Bueno

Robert Del Bueno

• 318 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bill Parkinson

Bill Parkinson

• 70 Points
Thank you, I figured there must be something, but couldn't find it. This worked. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 55,636 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You're welcome!
Photo of c.criner

c.criner

• 70 Points
I'm part of our Service team now, & need to be able to pickup calls when in my 2013 Accord w/ BT. Phone is LG G3 running Nougat (7.1) Cel number works fine thru BT in car, RC doesn't, have to pick up phone & use as stand alone, which isn't legal here. Seems like RC missed supporting a vital feature for many users.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 34,660 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I can't speak for the LG GE since I switched to iOS and an iPhone7 Plus back in February, but my Droid turbo Max (running 6.x Marshmallow) then, as well as my current iOS/iPhone 7+ combination, all run RingCentral mobile app perfectly through my vehicle's bluetooth (a 2011 GMC pickup).
Photo of c.criner

c.criner

• 70 Points
I've looked thru all the available RC app settings, cannot find anything listed to engage thru BT in the car. When a call comes thru, the music playing via my phone to the car get muted, but no actual phone call works w/ RC app.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 19,258 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
11-28-2017:  USA-based Account, 2287 Users  3800 DID lines at 28 sites   

Our currently in use Bluetooth headsets with RIngCentral's Mobile App and HeadsUpDisplay (via RingCentralForWindows) are:  

• LG Tone 730
  • LG Tone 750
  • LG Tone 760
  • LG Tone 780

We are now unable to answer a call or hangup a call from the Bluetooth headsets that formerly worked just fine.  We are now on the Android Mobile App as of version 9.3.1 For Android and HeadsUp Display in RingCentral For Windows version 9.3.5.   

Wondering what it is going to take to get the Bluetooth Team at RingCentral to start testing and approving more versions of headsets beyond the prohibitively expensive Plantronics ones.  When you have literally thousands of users - that is just not going to work for us. 

This is getting to be a huge problem as our Administrative office staffs at each site use the HUD for handling all their call volume and need to be able to use their Bluetooth headsets.  These are all industry-standard compliant with as/of Bluetooth 4.0 models.  

Mike or Saadet, please get someone from the correct RingCentral engineering team to respond with some  up to date information about this issue - a lot of folks are being stranded without a workable affordable BLUETOOTH option.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Thank you Mike for the followup - we will anxiously stay tuned.   They should be able to tell what changed in the new release of the HUD and the Mobile app with regards to Bluetooth response or interaction with the apps.   It was working fine with both versions of software before the updated release.  We have invested a lot of money in supplying our +++++ users with bluetooth headsets for use with RingCentral products are are now disabled.    This is not an Android OS issue -  we are still on the same version of Android we have been on since starting RingCentral Services June 2016.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You're welcome! 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
Hi Cecile,  I just got an update from our product team.  They have actually been working on this for quite some time. However I've been informed that there are actual technical limitations as to what is possible. There are limits as to what can be done with certain features and call controls. They are still investigating what is possible with the latest Android O API, so we are still unable to provide any ETA. 

Mike 
Photo of Justin Powell

Justin Powell

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That doesnt make sense? How did it work before, and not now (with no update to android). The only change has been the app itself... My bluetooth works with every app that has sound but Ring Central...
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Justin,  I wish I could give specifics but all I can say is our Product Team is aware of this and working on it.  Also, please note that some of the comments above have strayed to the Desktop app, which is a bit off topic form this main thread. The mobile apps have different obstacles because both Apple and Google place have limits on what developers can do as far as overriding their native applications. 

Please understand that our Product Team is, and has been working on this for some time. 

Mike 
Photo of alfm

alfm

• 1,508 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Adding the ability to accept and reject calls from the connection button on a bluetooth headset would an essential for me to use the RC app on my mobile.

It makes having a wireless headset far less use if you keep needing to pick up the mobile to accept or reject calls.
Photo of Michael Greco

Michael Greco

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Related to bluetooth, I'm noticing that using VOIP on the Android RC combined with Bluetooth has very poor sound quality to people on the other end. This is not a problem with cellular voice, but when I use cellular voice I lose functionality. Such as transferring and parking calls
Photo of Alexis Fantasia

Alexis Fantasia

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bluetooth issues.

I am using a Plantronics Voyager bluetooth headset on the RC app for android. I am unable to pick up or hang up a call using the bluetooth. My phone is not always in front of me so this is crucial for my daily use of RC. Anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this? I also have the desktop app and my headset is connected to my computer as well but I can't have my ear dinging all day with the amount of notifications I get on my comp. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

USA-based Account, 2287 Users  3800 DID lines at 28 sites   All Polycom VVX500 handsets

2018-11-08 Updated my RingCentral Phone app on Mobile last night - Android Samsung 8+ phone and now lost all ability to use RingCentral Mobile App with Bluetooth headset.   

The option is completely gone in the Mobile App when you used to be able to select the Speaker icon  and switch to Bluetooth headset.   

SERIOUSLY IMPACTING US:::: This is the same way the majority of our office-based users have been using the Mobile app because they are often Not At Their Desk.

Follow our RingCentral Bluetooth issues thread-tracker at

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/headsets.html
(Edited)
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 55,710 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Eeeek! I'm so sorry, Cecile :( If you haven't already done so, can you contact your CSM/Support so we can look into this further?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Thanks Saadet, I did.
(Edited)
Photo of jleiser10

jleiser10

• 60 Points
It is currently 4/29/19 and I am having this same issue. This is very annoying and it is making it very difficult to remain productive. The BT headset works perfectly with Android Phone app, WhatsApp, etc. The issue only presents itself with the RC Mobile Soft-Phone app, on Android. On iOS the issue does not exist.

INFO:
- Phone: OnePlus 6T McLaren
- RC Mobile Soft-Phone App Version: 6.2.1.006
- Headsets: Plantronics Voyager 5200, Plantronics Explorer 500

*RC Support - Please provide an update and fix for this, ASAP!*

Thank you,

Jeffrey Leiser

Photo of Alexis Fantasia

Alexis Fantasia

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My only solution was to get a desktop phone. Still doesn't answer on my Android device.