Deskphone: How to use Line Keys for Intercom Calls

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Sorry if this has been covered before.  I looked through the forums and couldn't find anything.  Does anyone know if it's possible to configure Polycom phones so that the line keys initiate intercom calls instead of regular calls?  It'd be EXTREMELY HELPFUL for those buttons to function as one-touch intercom buttons.  We have no use whatsoever for those buttons to initiate regular calls to an extension that have to ring and be manually answered.  Phones on our old PBX had one-touch DSS buttons for intercom, and it was glorious!
Photo of Clay

Clay

• 626 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Phil Koorsen

Phil Koorsen, Implementation Advisor

• 1,486 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello Clay,

If you are wanting to assign a button to dial a specific extension, you can use the Presence feature. However it functions as a call, not an intercom call, where it will ring first to allow the user at that extension to pick up or send to voicemail. The softphone application also works and it does not require a physical button (in case you have a phone that doesn't have enough appearance buttons).
Photo of Clay

Clay

Thanks for the quick reply, Phil!  I'm aware of the Presence feature, and it's how our phones are currently configured.  Thing is, it's pretty much useless for our business the way it currently works.  Those buttons literally never get pressed by anyone in our company precisely because they make a regular call instead of intercom (which can be answered hands-free).  It'd be a thousand times more useful for us if those could be configured to make intercom calls instead.

The reason this is an issue for us is because if you dial too quickly, you get an "INVALID EXTENSION" error.  You have to very slowly and deliberately press "intercom <wait for the system to start talking>  1 .. 2 .. 3 .. #" to get the call to go through.  If you go even a little too fast, you get some kind of error and have to start over.  I've got one particular user that typically has to try 4 times on every intercom call because he dials too fast.  A one-touch intercom call would make life SO much easier.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,382 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree this would be a great feature.  Even better (in my opinion) if it was not phone specific, but users could select if they prefer default action to be intercom or ring as a preference.  Maybe a moderator can move or merge this to an idea as a feature request.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

Official Response
Hey, I think I may have a solution for you.  I just tried this on my VVX410 and it seems to work as you want.

I held down an available button to program it and gave it a name and for the contact field I put *85#1234 where 1234 is another extension.  When I press the button I get hands free intercom to 1234.

Give it a try and let us know.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

One downside to this would be that the key functions only as DSS only and not DSS/BLF.
Photo of Clay

Clay

Thanks, Brandon!  This worked on my VVX310, too.  It's unfortunate that you can no longer monitor presence with those buttons when they're configured this way, but the one-touch intercom is far more useful for us!  Thanks so much!
Photo of Phil Koorsen

Phil Koorsen, Implementation Advisor

• 1,486 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Awesome! I will keep this for future reference as well.
Photo of Clay

Clay

It's good for a workaround, but it'd still be nice if there were an option for a button to be both Presence and one-touch intercom.  Can this thread be moved/copied to feature request, or do I need to make a new thread?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes Clay.  I just converted it. 

Mike 
Photo of Clay

Clay

I just discovered a small quirk with this workaround.  At least one of the line keys (3-12 on a VVX410) must be configured for Presence.  If you don't have any of the keys configured for Presence, they will all display the user name just like keys 1 and 2 do, and they won't go into edit mode when you hold one down.  And even if you set one key for Presence so that the others can be programmed for one-touch, if you ever disable Presence on that key, all the other keys revert to clones of 1 and 2 when the phone reboots.  Luckily, setting that one key back to Presence restores the manual one-touch programming on the other keys. So basically on a VVX410, you can only have nine of the line keys configured for one-touch intercom.  Hopefully, this note will save someone else the 1/2 hour of frustration I just went through figuring all this out the hard way :)
Photo of Clay

Clay

I just wanted to leave a quick note for anyone who finds this thread.  As of today (7/20/16), this solution is broken, but I've found a fix for it:  The pound sign needs to be moved.  Instead of *85#1234 as indicated above, you now need to enter *851234#

So I know what I'm going to be doing for the next couple of hours ...
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,924 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Shoot, when I do it it's looking for a park zone 851.
Photo of Jason Gedert

Jason Gedert

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is there a way to do this work around on a vvx 500?   I agree, the current prescence set up is useless.   Pressing intercom requires knowledge of the extension.   A one button intercom would be awesome.    I am almost willing to sell the vvx500's and get new VVX410's just for this workaround!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just letting you all know that I've converted this back to a "Feature Request".

After confirming with one of our engineers there's not a simple way to do this. 

If the use case includes the any use of IP Phone devices, then they'd need to use Paging Groups, which in turn there is no to one-touch paging support as the initiator would need to wait to enter the paging group number (unless they're open to writing scripts and supporting each phone manually > Enhanced Feature Keys), which in turn is firmly unsupported

If just using overhead paging, they can just purchase a DL to register the SIP adapter to and then use presence to page overhead
Photo of Justin Rhode

Justin Rhode

• 12 Points
Any update on this? We are a small company and everyone is in a big room. No need to call someone.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 62,266 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Justin,

We do not have an ETA on if/when this feature may be available.
Photo of Craig Lohman

Craig Lohman

• 1,066 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I just found this thread.  This is exactly how we were expecting our phones to work.  Our old PBX system had this functionality whereby if you select a name from the phones one touch buttons, it would intercom the selected contact.  Why can't this be an option.  Please add us to the chorus of people expecting this option.  
Photo of Jason Gedert

Jason Gedert

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If your phone allows you to have speed dial buttons. Program them to *85x. X being an extension. Example to have an intercom button to extension 15...program *8515. I can see how this is an engineering nightmare for ring central. Sarcasm included.
Photo of Christina Feile

Christina Feile

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes but you would have to program one for every extension in the company UGH!