Using Ruby Receptionist (or any virtual receptionist service)

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I currently have several phone numbers for my business.  These phone numbers are forwarded by my existing VOIP provider to Ruby Receptionist (a virtual receptionist service).  Once Ruby answers a forwarded call, they then call me on the directly on the phone at my desk and forward the call to me there.

I would like this same functionality with the new RingCentral account to which I am migrating, but I cannot figure out how to do this for the life of me.  

In particular, I want the call forwarding to happen at the top level, not at the extension level.  This is mainly because an extension-forwarded call will still trigger a notification at the extension soft phone even if the call is automatically forwarded from there to Ruby.  I've already tested that out and it's annoying as all get-out.

I want my business phone numbers to belong to my RingCentral account, because I believe that's also the only way I can select those numbers as the caller ID on outgoing calls and SMS text messages from my desk.  So there's no way around the forwarding-out workflow.  If it weren't for the caller ID issue, I'd simply port the business phone numbers directly to Ruby.

I've read here in the forums that I can create a "virtual extension" with no user assigned, which can be set to forward all calls automatically (similar to creating an announcement or message-only extension).  However, if that extension receives more than ten calls per month (which it will), I will apparently be charged for another user seat.  That's an unacceptable solution.

I have a RingCentral Office Standard account, with one user (me, I'm a self-employed attorney).  I like having my phones answered by a live receptionist during business hours, and not an automated attendant, which is why I use Ruby in the first place.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this without spending more money?  It seems like such simple, basic functionality, and it's been offered by my existing VOIP provider for the past 9 years (without the additional user uncharge).

Photo of Gary Sparks

Gary Sparks

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Joe Tierney

Joe Tierney, Champion

• 504 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Gary, 

We have several clients that leverage Ruby as well. They usually create a Custom Rule based on the number called and time of day. The Rule sends the call to Ruby rather than the RingCentral system. The rule should allow you to cut off anything before it delivers to an extension. There are several variables that aren't know based on the information you've provided ... I'd check out custom rules to see if that gets you the functionality you're looking for. 
Photo of Gary Sparks

Gary Sparks

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Joe.  That was the first thing I tried, but the call handling options for a custom rule at the company/auto-receptionist level only gives me the option to transfer the call directly to an extension, and no option to forward outside of RC.  I've attached a screen shot for reference.

Photo of Joe Tierney

Joe Tierney, Champion

• 504 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would try the virtual extension ... they'll let you know if you're hitting some chargeable usage ... I know many clients that do not see charges on these types of extensions. If that doesn't work you could inquire about a Limited Extension to see if that's a good option. If you haven't filed a support ticket with RC, I'd try that too and get their thoughts.