Desktop App: authorize my softphone to be used on multiple PCs

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
I have a laptop and a desktop that I use depending on where I am located for business.  In the current process I have to deauthorize one machine to take calls from my other.  I would like to have the ability to have the softphones both authorized and ring when that device is on and the app logged into.. This way I as a user simply need to log into the authorized softphone I need to use and not have to change the configurations around each time.

I do not want to have to deauthorize the PC every time I switch computers.
Photo of Erik Kaiser

Erik Kaiser

• 2,190 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Robert Czymoch

Robert Czymoch

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The problem with the RC app is that the telephony functions are not even close to what you get with the softphone app itself.  At some point you have to expect that there won't be any fraud and really I do not buy this as an excuse. The softphone still gets associated to ONE phone number. You could also make it so that when a user signs in with one softphone app the user is logged out of any other softphone apps ( except mobile).

Photo of Kyle Gruber

Kyle Gruber

• 318 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'd be really curious as to what you use in the softphone that isn't provided in the RC app.  The only thing I find lacking is presence information, which was never really that good in the softphone anyway.
Photo of Robert Czymoch

Robert Czymoch

HUD and Favorites. The HUD is used by our users to set the speed dials on their phones. Its just easier than doing it in the web portal. Also in my opinion the directory lookup features are better on the actual phone app.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Champion

• 3,182 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
My problem is the reverse and I have been talking to support about this. You CAN have two instances of softphones at one time because you have 2 virtual lines. That is the limitation as I understand it. If you have a desk phone, it counts as one, then a softphone would also be one. That would be the limit. If you have a softphone only with a digital line then you can have 2 softphones, the 2 line limit. The mobile app does not count because it does not count as a digital line. it uses the wireless, not Wi-Fi, from the provider to connect the call. They cannot get rid of the softphone because some of us rely on it for CTI integration. which is where my problem is. Our CRM has problems when someone logs into 2 different desktops without deauthorizing on one. It basically just logs them out. 
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

• 1,280 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am so frustrated of seeing this error message.

Why not allow multiple registrations? It's obviously not a licensing/cost/fraud/abuse issue if it's allowed on the Glip app.

Why not a dropdown in the app itself to select which softphone is active?

Why not automatically de-auth other machines when a new one connects? Or when they're offline?

etc etc etc....
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,586 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree with you. Years ago I quasi-supported RingCentral's practice of only allowing one softphone instance at a time because I thought it might have to do with the possibility of licensing fraud or abuse. I agreed at that time for a programming solution of automatically de-authorizing one instance when a second instance started, as many have asked for.

But now with the ability of having multiple active instances of the Glip app on multiple platforms (not just WiFi connections) and not to mention that at least three other VoIP/UCaaS providers allow for multiple instances of their softphones (3, 5, and 8 instances with the providers I am aware of), RIngCentral's single allowed active instance of their softphone is archaic and unwarranted.

Now whenever I speak with a prospect and they need multiple active instances of a softphone as part of their VoIP buying decision, I cannot in good conscience recommend RingCentral due to this issue. I do present RingCentral along with the other three major providers I partner with and let the prospect make the decision, but I present the pluses and minuses of each provider based on the prospect's needs.
Photo of Alan Frazin

Alan Frazin

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Softphones for a single line on multiple computers.

We really need the option to have softphones set up on a desktop, a laptop, and possibly another laptop, set for the same user, same extension, etc.  At present I understand that you can only have one computer with the softphone set up per extension.  This doesn't work if you have a desktop you normally work at, a laptop you take with you on the go, and possibly another laptop/desktop you have at another location.  
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose

• 2,342 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Another in the pile of basic functions the feature team hasn't got the time or resources to implement.  Really closes off an avenue of usefulness in the "gig economy".
(Edited)
Photo of Jux

Jux, Employee

• 494 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi I do have a customer who wants to have this feature implemented ASAP.

Type of account: RC UK
# of DL: 61

Customer is using a Work Laptop on the office. However when he works from home on a certain days, he also would like to use the app on his home Computer which has been setup with the App installed. However he finds it very time consuming to have the app de authorize everytime he logs in to another PC whereas this should just be login straightaway. 

Related case# 08690114 
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 3,600 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
For now the best option is the RingCentral app (formerly Glip) on additional systems.  I have this app on my desktop and the RingCentral Phone app on my laptop and it meets my needs.  Not saying it would do the same for you, but the only features I occasionally miss when using the newer app are faxing (which I can do from the web portal) and HUD/Presence.
Photo of Robert Czymoch

Robert Czymoch

So another CON to using GLIP. We also use the RingCentral Incontact product. Glip does not work as the app component for making and receiving calls using Incontact.
Photo of alfm

alfm

• 1,682 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow multiple installs of the Windows Phone app.

I work from home regularly, using a different PC, and each time I switch from the office to home I I am unable to use the RC Phone program because it states too may instances of the programs are registered to this extension (only allowed one).

In order to resolve this I have to:
  1. Close the Phone app.
  2. Open a web browser.
  3. Log into the 'https://service.ringcentral.com/' website as the admin.
  4. Find my user, goto [Phones & numbers >> Phones].
  5. Select the 'Softphone'.
  6. Click 'Edit'.
  7. Click 'De-authorise Computer'.
  8. Start the Phone program on the new computer.
  9. Enter my login details.
  10. Fill out the 'emergency contact information'
  11. Press 'OK' to finally be able to use the phone.
Doing this each time is intensely irritating - especially if I have to place a phone call quickly or trying to join a conference call.

I understand that for business purposes you are only licensed to have one functioning copy of the 'Phone' app but why can't you have multiple installs registered to that account but only one logged in / enabled program per extension at any one time ?

This would make life so much easier and save a great deal of time.

Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 3,600 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
With the RingCentral Desktop application on the path to being sunset, my guess is that we will never see this.  As I mentioned above, I have just started using the newer RingCentral (a.k.a. Glip) application on my office computer so I can use the RC Phone app on my laptop.
Photo of Dr. Jason Tucker

Dr. Jason Tucker

• 62 Points
It's really, really simple!  When a user logs out, the session is logged out.. Wow!  This has been the de-facto standard for decades... Why is it so complicated for RC?
Photo of Madison Sapp

Madison Sapp

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled If you are an admin you should be able to login on more than 2 devices at a time.

We have a US account and are a recruiting firm. We work both in the office and remotely and find it very annoying that you cant be logged into your phone on your work computer, cell, and laptop all at the same time. It is frustrating always have to deauthorize computers when we need to use a different device. Especially someone who is an admin user should be able to log into more than 2 devices at a time