Desktop App: authorize my softphone to be used on multiple PCs

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
I have a laptop and a desktop that I use depending on where I am located for business.  In the current process I have to deauthorize one machine to take calls from my other.  I would like to have the ability to have the softphones both authorized and ring when that device is on and the app logged into.. This way I as a user simply need to log into the authorized softphone I need to use and not have to change the configurations around each time.

I do not want to have to deauthorize the PC every time I switch computers.
Photo of Erik Kaiser

Erik Kaiser

• 2,310 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of florida randy

florida randy

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Limit on Softphone Installs.

I've downloaded the softphone on my work desktop and tried to also download on my laptop.  Install reported that it couldn't be done due to "too many" installations.

What is the limit?  Why only 1 available?  How is an existing softphone "deauthorized" so another can be installed?
Photo of Gary Dewrell

Gary Dewrell

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
3 years an no progress on this issue. Then to make matters worse, anyone else who starts a topic similar you just merge with this old post that obviously RC has no intention of doing anything about. 

Come on guys. This cannot be that hard of a problem to fix. In todays work where people work from multiple locations and PC's why do we have to go to a website to change what PC we are allowed to use. Add this functionality to the APP!!!!!!!!
Photo of Iora

Iora

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Agree: this is a total bottleneck for admins. 
Photo of Alfred Gonzalez

Alfred Gonzalez

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agreed. This needs to be a feature RC focus on for the next release. Not Only do my customers need it, but my company needs it for my technicians.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 38,002 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
RIngCentral has most likely limited that for fear of abuses where people were trying to bypass purchasing additional digital lines/users.

That said, I know that some other VoIP providers either have no limits to the number of installed AND usable softphone instances, or have a higher limit than one (1). One provider I am aware of allows eight (8) instances, which can all be running concurrently if needed (like if you forget to turn off your laptop at home you can still use the softphone at the office).

I agree that RIngCentral is out of step here with the actual needs of customers in this regard and should allow for more softphone instances.
Photo of Cynthia Ward

Cynthia Ward

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hmmmm. I have the app for use on both my desktop and Laptop and it works fine...My issue is it wont work on the same desktop but another profile.....This interface is horrible....
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

• 1,916 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Hello Cynthia!

We recommend that you only use 1 device per softphone, so the functionality would work perfectly.

Thanks!

Photo of dustovich

dustovich

• 60 Points
Hello Jenn. The entire point of this thread is that we use more than one device per softphone. Maybe not simultaneously but we do.
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

• 1,916 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dustovich,

Right. Yes, you can do that. 

Thanks for pointing that out. Appreciated! 
Photo of Brad Bell

Brad Bell

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jenn - this thread is about real-world use where many of us have valid applications where we need to run more than one instance.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Jenn...and to further comment on what Brad, and many others have said, the want and need of your customers is to be able to have multiple softphones (i.e., work desktop, home desktop, work laptop) installed and be READY TO USE without having to disconnect one to reinstall and authorize another.

As a telecommunications consultant, virtually all of the providers I recommend (except RingCentral) have that functionality. I used to support RingCentral from a licensing viewpoint but that really isn't applicable any longer. Business people who travel outside the office don't always have the time to unauthorize then install and authorize another device when they have walked into a meeting with a prospect or a client.

I have always been an advocate for RingCentral in the past, even to the point of supporting this policy, but I  cannot support this any longer. While it may be a corporate decision, in my humble opinion, it is a bad and unwise decision.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 6,392 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The newer RingCentral desktop app does not have this limitation.  I can be logged into it on multiple PCs.  The issue being discussed is with the old RC Phone desktop application, which while currently a significantly better phone/fax/text application than the newer one, is the only one that has the 1-device limitation.

Even while RC Phone still exists and has this limitation, you can install the newer RingCentral (Glip) appication on the other devices and it will provide phone and fax function there without running into the 1-device limit.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Bob, while I agree with what you just said, the issues still confronting the "newer" RIngCentral desktop app still has businesses using the "old" RC Phone desktop app, which is why this is still an issue.
Photo of FWERF

FWERF

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Jenn and Bob 
We just want to be able to have multiple users on the same PC (our physical front desk) to all be able to use the soft phone app without having to stop the service and disconnect from their regular PC in their office. The GLIP app does not provide the HUD (heads up display) which is one of the more critical reasons we use the soft phone to begin with at our reception/front desk. We have installed the newer RC desktop phone app but we were not aware this did not have the 1-device limitation. Does that also mean it will will work for multiple users on the same device without those users having to stop the service and deauthorize the app on their other PC?

Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

FWERF, I would think you would just have to log out of Glip and then log back in as the other user.  The Glip app not having HUD is a separate issue, and I'm hopeful that when they release the newer version that is supposed to be on-par with RC Phone in terms of features, that HUD will be available.  I don't think they have a belief that HUD is used very much...who knows.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

J.B. we still primarily use RC Phone across the company, as well.  I strongly believe that we will never see a change to authorization requirements/limits on the RC Phone app so I suppose I'm spending my energy elsewhere.  Given that it's not a limitation in the app that we all eventually will be using (should we still be with RingCentral), I don't see any value in drumming up support for removing authorization limits, as it's not something we will see going forward.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Bob, I agree. I know that you can't fight city hall, so to speak, and that it will never be changed. My voice, as well as yours, as channel partners and/or users will not make a difference in a corporate decision. In fact I probably would have never jumped on this most recent thread except that I was wasting a little time waiting for a video conference. I didn't want to get involved in anything that might take more time.
Photo of Christian Steiner

Christian Steiner

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multiple softphones per user.

I am finding multiple instances where people have more than one computer and they want to have the softphone running on each without having to de-authorize / authorize all the time.

I would like to formally request a new feature where users can have more than one softphone authorized at a time.

The example would be:

Office Desktop

Office Laptop

Home Desktop

Is this on the roadmap? When I called Support just now they said it was not possible.

Account type: US
Business: FinTech / FinServices
Case: 04452241
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

One fairly simple solution is to use softphone on one system and Glip (RingCentral application is the new confusing name) on the other.  As long as telephony is enabled on the Glip application, it can handle many of the same phone features.  The primary thing it doesn't do at this point is sending faxes.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 44,064 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please VOTE in the upper right corner to request this feature! 
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 25,004 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
One idea in the meantime would be to try the Chrome app.  I use it sometimes and it has no apparent restriction to running on multiple machines.  You may need to call support to enable the webRTC softphone feature for your account though as the feature is newish.  I had to do this.
Photo of Brad Bell

Brad Bell

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Limit reached ... Outbound VOIP calls will not be available.

I use the RingCentral for Windows at home and at work.  At home I use a softphone license so that I can make outbound calls.  At work I do not need this feature because I have a dedicated VOIP phone.

The problem is that each time I log into RingCentral for Windows at work I get the following error: 
Limit reached ... You have reached the limit of
additional lines available for your account. 
Outbound VOIP calls will not be available ..."
The RingCentral app has many features beyond just being used as a softphone.  I would like to see a feature added where I can disable Outbound VOIP so that I do not keep getting this error.

I phoned support (#04405736) and there does not appear to be a workaround or solution.

People in the office are getting this error, and it tends to be a deterrent from using the app as the error keeps appearing.
Photo of Wesley Henderson

Wesley Henderson

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
For the love of god (old and new) this seems like a pretty basic feature. I'm authorizing and reauthorizing to many times. 
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

• 3,240 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
at least for admins... i like to login and make sure everything works when i setup new clients... 
Photo of BISHOP

BISHOP

• 1,324 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
this should totally be added - yes only one pc running allowed at a time makes sense, but as long as the first pc is logged out of the extension, you shouldnt need to deathorize it before you can do anything from the second PC!!
Photo of Eric L

Eric L

• 2,728 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Is there any update on this feature request?  I find it hard to believe that you cannot allow more than one computer to be authorized to use the softphone.  The whole point of VOIP is so that you can use it almost anywhere.  There should at least be a minimum of two computers which can be authorized.

We'd really like to see this become available since winter is coming, and the likelihood that most of the agents here will have to work remotely due to inclement weather will increase.

The only two options now are to use the softphone through the Remote Desktop Connection, which will affect call quality, or have everybody deauthorize a computer anytime we switch between our computers at work & home.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Eric,

I don't know if there is any update on the feature request but there are additional options you didn't list.

There is the RingCentral mobile app for iPhone and Android phones. Will allow virtually all the same features as the softphone with the exception of Presence and the HUD. Additionally there is the RingCentral for Google extension for the Chrome browser. While not everyone uses Chrome or has a Gmail account, both are free and it makes the extension available for those special times when employees need to work from home during winter and other occasions.

I didn't know if you are aware of these additional options.
Photo of Eric L

Eric L

Presence & HUD are a big part of our agency, because we need to know who's not available to answer any incoming calls.  Furthermore, we're using Park Locations, and if the HUD doesn't work on the mobile apps, I'm assuming we can't use our Park Locations either.

I knew there was a Chrome app, but I never really considered it.  I'll take a look into the Chrome app, but as you said I'm not sure who has a Google account.  Do you know if it's possible to have several agents simultaneously logged-in to the same Google account, and each using RC Chrome for their own extension? 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Eric...Sorry but I don't know whether one Google/GMail account can be accessed by multiple people at the same time. I would think the answer is "Yes" as I have had it active on multiple computers at the same time with the same login.

The Chrome extension appears most like the softphone in looks/design, but it is not an app and it also does not have HUD, Presence or Park locations functionality.
Photo of Eric L

Eric L

In that case the Chrome extension probably won't do the trick for us either.  Thanks though!
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

You're welcome. I don't worry about Presence here and the regular Parking functionality of RingCentral works fine for my situation. Obviously every business has different needs. For me, using the Chrome extension on my laptop works fine if I am away from the office, while I keep the softphone up on my office desktop. I use a Cisco IP phone for phone calls, etc. but the softphone's other functionality (i.e., sending faxes, texts, etc.) make it easier than using my RingCentral mobile app.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,910 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Eric,  Sorry there's no ETA if or when this might happen.  There are a variety of reasons that only one computer can be authorized at a time, so I don't know if this will ever happen.  However on a related subject, there's an existing feature request to have the phone automatically deathorize (or include an option in the app) when a user logs off.  Please visit this thread, and vote if you wish: Desktop App: Deauthorize Softphone on Exit
Photo of Eric L

Eric L

I'm actually following that thread as well (and voted for it), completely forgot about it.  I event commented on it last month.  Doesn't look like any updates on that thread either since a month ago.

I guess it's safe to assume that it's not in works either at this point?
Photo of Antonio Moreno

Antonio Moreno

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sounds like a great reason to use Skype instead...
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think the big reason this won't happen in the way requested is because it'd be a very easy way to circumvent the licensing/cost of Ring Central. The reality in SMB is there will be enough users attempting to take advantage of these loopholes. As a reseller we have a couple customers who have done this and we've specially indicated we would not provide our additional courtesy support services for them (on top of Ring Central's support) .
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

I just attended a webinar on Glip and they stated that with the added features there, many RingCentral users would not need the Desktop app (exceptions at this point are SMS and Fax but those will be addressed soon).  They said that other than executive admins that needed the HUD, most features would be available in Glip.  I also know that you can put RingCentral for Outlook on another machine and be connected to both at the same time.  So it seems like this issue might be getting addressed in other ways.
Photo of Antonio Moreno

Antonio Moreno

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
well - the lack of vision in how to address this topic may be a great opportunity for us (paying users) to look at Skype again. 
Photo of Brad Bell

Brad Bell

I have the same setup as the original post.  I agree having flexibility on where the softphone is used would be amazing.

As a minimum, they need to get rid of the constant warning that there are no more licenses when I boot up the RingCentral desktop app.
Photo of Edgardo Camon Jr

Edgardo Camon Jr, Employee

• 256 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Additional Free Softphone.

Customer wants to have the ability to use 2 computers and one deskphone on a single line on the account. And can receive and dial out from his 2 computer app and one deskhone without deauthorizing the existing computer on his softphone line.

Account type  (U.S., Canada, UK,  AT&T, Telus, BT): USA brief description of the business : ALL STEEL NW
A high level description of the product or feature being requested: URGENT
A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: Wants to have 2 free softphones on his two separate computers with a deskphone using a single digital line.
Benefit of such feature: Low cost
Include any related case number if applicable: The line is currently assigned to his office computer and a regular cisco phone. He wants to be able to receive and make calls as well using his home computer without adding a second line on his extension.
Photo of Kyle Gruber

Kyle Gruber

• 402 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's not even about having multiple softphones up at the same time, just auto log out any instance of the softphone currently running when you try to log in from a new machine.  Plenty of software companies employ this method.  It's essentially what's happening already, just without the process of manually deauthorizing the other machine.
Photo of PaulF

PaulF

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Admins should have as many softphone instances available to them as there are lines in the account. 
Photo of Daniel Welch

Daniel Welch

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So this reply states that in order to use this system without having to de-authorize computers would be to get more line with different phone numbers? The point of having a mobile office phone is to have one number for everyone to reach you on. I do not think this is a good reply to the issue at hand.
Photo of Kyle Gruber

Kyle Gruber

I agree, it's very simple, each line can have a hardphone and softphone.  That softphone should be able to be installed in unlimited places, but only be logged in on one device.  This satisfies the licensing requirement.  If you want to have it open simultaneously on multiple devices, get multiple lines.
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

• 488 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I do not understand the reasoning behind this 'feature' 'restriction' what is the problem with having multiple installs on the same user? I work in IT and have a mac, pc and windows laptop/tablet.

Stupid restriction, sort it out RC, please!! I am currently looking at Skype for business as it seems to fit our needs.
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

• 488 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As above, why is this stupid restriction still in place!!??
Photo of Duuzra IT

Duuzra IT

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We're prepping to leave RC over this one. As a company with multiple assets per employee, multiple softphones is a must. It seems they've even shut down the ability to use the Chrome app on multiple devices. This simply won't do for us, there's not even a way to pay a license on another soft phone if we wanted to, unless we pay the extra money for another phone number that we don't need.
Photo of Daniel Welch

Daniel Welch

This is what we have done. We still use RC for the office but we use Skype with everything else and have our RC forward to Skype because I can have it on multiple devices at once. One day RC may get up to speed with everyone else and will allow us to use this program for it's intended purpose which is to have a business line no matter where you are. Thank you for this post as I really hope they see it and get their act together.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

I'm now testing RC Phone on one system and Glip everywhere else.  Now that telephony is a feature of Glip, it can be used instead of RC Phone on the other systems.  What still baffles me about this is that if they can figure out how to have Glip operate for a user on multiple devices, how can they not figure out how to do it with RC Phone?
Photo of Daniel Welch

Daniel Welch

It is not an issue of "can they figure it out", but an issue with they  do not want to do it because they are afraid that it will be taken advantage of by other users. The only issue with that is everyone in the company should have different numbers so therefore the company would have to get multiple lines for those employees. No advantage taken. I will look into the Glip.
Photo of Gary Dewrell

Gary Dewrell

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multiple desktop App.

Need to be able to switch between PCs using the desktop app without having to go to service.ringcentral.com. Many workers now days move between locations/PCs. 

I understand why you require the deauth/auth to prevent fraud. However, I think you could ask the user to pre-register the PCs they will be using, limit it to 2 for example. Then allow auto-deauth and reauth on login if the PC name or whatever identifier matches one of the two already pre-registered. 

This should be easy to implement and will make a whole lot of your users very happy!
Photo of Daniel Welch

Daniel Welch

Love this idea. Thank you.
Photo of Mark Swenson

Mark Swenson

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Desktop application.

I need to log-in on my app using 2 computers at a time without de-authorizing the other PC
Photo of Kyle Gruber

Kyle Gruber

Honestly guys, to me this is pretty much solved with the Glip/RingCentral app, and I'd wager that the softphone is going to be discontinued in the near future in favor of that.