Caller ID: how to see incoming caller ID NAMES

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Caller ID: How to see the incoming Caller ID Name (U.S. and Canada)

I have asked several people at RC this question and have yet to get a straight answer.  This is very important to our business.
Photo of Katie

Katie

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The office Premium and Enterprise have this feature.  It is that simple.

Not sure why this is so complicated to answer

Hope this helps

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Randy T.

Randy T.

• 1,276 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with you re the Enterprise accounts, however she may be referring to the mobile app, which does not have that feature. I have made the same request she has as a suggestion to improve the mobile app. I love RingCentral, but that is a sorely missed feature on the mobile app. It would help my business immensely.
Photo of Alain Lacroix

Alain Lacroix

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just found out the feature is not yet available for Canadian accounts.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Chuck is correct. The feature is available, but only on the Premium and Enterprise plans.  Here's a page that shows the Canadian plans & pricing: http://www.ringcentral.ca/office/plansandpricing.html
Photo of Alain Lacroix

Alain Lacroix

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I do have the premium plan, the pricing comparison on the page is wrong or the support person said it wasn't available to get off the chat.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Alain,  I'm going to look into this for you.  I'm pretty confident it's available and can be turned on. I'll verify this for you. 

Mike 
Photo of Wayne Scott

Wayne Scott

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Alain, did you get a response about this?  We're in Canada and have the same issue. Only phone #'s come up...no names.  We're on the Premium plan.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Wayne, This will vary for Canadian customers.  

Photo of Wayne Scott

Wayne Scott

Thanks Mike.  When I spoke with Support earlier today, they advised me that the lack of name display is a current known bug in the system, and that they're working to resolve the matter.  
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

You're welcome. It's not necessarily a bug, but an issue with the downstream carriers not supporting the feature. But yes we are working with them for greater support. 
Photo of Elana Gorman

Elana Gorman

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a premium office plan, and was told that Caller ID would work on our phones (I am in Toronto, Canada).  When we started using our phones I quickly saw that only numbers show up, no names.  I have now been told that as of the end of November this has been an issue for Canadian customers and is in the process of being resolved.  Can you please tell me what the status is on this?  Do I need to do something "officially" to actually make sure this is being addressed?  Very frustrating!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Elana,  See my post above with the red box.  RingCentral does support his feature but downstream carriers may not so functionality will vary. 
Photo of Elana Gorman

Elana Gorman

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Mike, however this is not the information I have been given by other Ring Central Reps.  I think you all need to get your information straight, as I seem to be given conflicting information.  I was actually told in an email that there is a known issue that started on the 23rd of November that is affecting Canadian customers.  WE do not have "varying" functionality, we never see the name of the caller - only the number.  
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,814 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Elana - please fwd that email to us at community.support@ringcentral.com and reference this topic.  Also note that Caller ID options are very limited in Canada...this is not a RC limitation, but a limitation in Canada. 
(Edited)
Photo of Wayne Scott

Wayne Scott

Elana, we're a Canadian customer as well and feel your pain too. I've reached out to RC about the lack of name display and kept getting conflicting answers as well.  I've been told it's a limitation of other services, yet when we had Bell Canada phones, they didn't have any problems with name display.  I don't get what the limitations with RC's systems are - as they appear to be the only ones with this issue
Photo of Dave Herron

Dave Herron, U.S. Tier 3 Support

• 768 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I think the confusion might be with the terms being used, and the difference between outbound and inbound calls can be confusion as well. There are 2 functions. Caller ID which displays the number, and CNAM which displays the name. For inbound calls we display the caller ID that is handed to RingCentral. If it is incorrect whomever is calling needs to advise their carrier to track down where it is being changed before it gets to RingCentral. It is the callers carriers responsibility to ensure it is delivered to us correctly. The same applies to RingCentral outbound calls to a terminating carrier. RingCentral should be responsible for delivering it to the end user correctly. CNAM is a different monster. The name has to be correct in a central repository in Canada, and then when the called person receives a call they "dip" in to this central repository for the name. When it comes to Canadian CNAM we do NOT update the database with our Canadian numbers. We will check the incoming numbers against the American database (as it sometimes has the information there), but that is as far as it goes. So in short if the external user (Canadian) is calling any RingCentral customer (despite if they are Canadian or American) then it is a crap shoot if you will receive the CNAM display, and is unfortunately not a supported feature. Hope this answers your questions.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.