What’s New with Polycom VVX Firmware 5.6.0 coming May 2018

• Article
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
In our continued effort to improve reliability and security for your RingCentral service, we have scheduled maintenance to update the firmware of Polycom VVX devices. During April 2018, between the normal maintenance hours of 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. Pacific Time, we will update Polycom VVX phones. You will receive more specific information on the timing of your account's phones via email. 

You should not notice any service interruption. In the unlikely event you do experience any issues, disconnect the power or the Ethernet cable from any affected devices and then reconnect the power. If this does not resolve your issue, please contact customer care

• Polycom 5.6.0 FW will support TLS v1.2 along with existing support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1.
  • Polycom VVX FW will support the OPUS codec:
    • Devices with the HD voice option enabled in your online account at service.ringcentral.com will use Opus codec
    • Models VVX 301, 311, 411, 500, and 600 business media phones will support a single Opus stream. Users can establish only one call at a time using the Opus codec on these phones. Additional calls will use second preferred codec g.722
    • Local conferencing on the VVX 301, 311,  411, 500, and 600 will NOT support OPUS codec.
    • VVX 501 and 601 will be able to support two legs with OPUS codec. Additional calls on the phone will use the next preferred codec G.722
    • Local conferencing with VVX 501 and 601 will support two legs with OPUS codec.
Issues Resolved:
  • VVX501 doesn't work correctly with EST time zone
  • Polycom VVX firmware sometimes crashes when gets new provisioning data
  • Some issues reported with phones freezing or not responding well to key inputs or intermittent rebooting
  • VVX 500 touchscreen response impact
Photo of Natalie Carboni

Natalie Carboni, Associate Customer Marketing Manager

• 1,488 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Josh

Josh

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Does this fix the VVX 411 Side car freezing issue?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 15,358 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-04-18   Will this require a system-wide restart?  We have A LOT of handsets.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 39,248 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Josh & Cecile,

I will follow up on your questions once I receive some more information :)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Thanks Saadet!

You're welcome! :)

Hey Josh, the side car freezing issue is still being worked on by Polycom.

Hey Cecile, your phones will reboot overnight automatically. During that time they'll download the new firmware.
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have heard this for months.  Isn't there a more concrete answer regarding progress, work around, etc?

Sorry, Josh. I wasn't given any information on it. That's something you would have to bring up with Polycom since it's on their side.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

OK  thanks
Photo of Eric Markow

Eric Markow

• 72 Points
We have some phones that are disconnected at night, because they reside in public areas of our buildings, and need to be put away nightly to keep them from being stolen. 

Do you know how these phones will get firmware updates, since the updates will occur between 11 PM and 3 AM? 

• 38,106 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Eric,

They will receive the update once plugged back in. However, keep in mind it could take a few minutes for it to download the new firmware. 
Photo of Eric Markow

Eric Markow

• 72 Points
Does the phone display a specific message while it is updating? 
Photo of Brian Engert

Brian Engert

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would expect it to display a message something like "Downloading new Updater", "Saving Updater", "Downloading new application...", "Extracting application files...".  Each of these screens have a white background and a progress bar with the text in the center of the screen like the screenshot below.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Yes --- it is the standard boot screen status message sequence you see while it updates --- it would appear very similarly to when you first plug the phone into the live port. Sometimes it restarts the phone two times in a row when firmware updates occur on Polycom phones. That is normal.
Photo of Sol Kubsch

Sol Kubsch

• 60 Points
Will our VVX-310 devices be getting this firmware upgrade? They are currently on 5.4.2. 

• 35,336 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sol,

Yep! All Polycom devices on this list will receive the update
Photo of M. Taylor

M. Taylor

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
RingCentral,

Please clarify whether this rollout will downgrade phones that are running a newer software version that what is being pushed by RingCentral.

Thank you.

• 36,242 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi M. Taylor,

All phones that are connected to the RingCentral Network/provisioned correctly, will either upgrade/downgrade to the 5.6.0 version.
Photo of M. Taylor

M. Taylor

Okay. Is there any way we can disable/prevent our phones from being downgraded if they are running a newer version?

Polycom's latest maintenance release on the 5.6.x stream is 5.6.2.1593. Is this the version that RingCentral will be deploying? If not, why would RingCentral release an older version of the 5.6.x stream?

Also, Polycom's latest UC Software release is 5.7.1.2205.

Reference: https://support.polycom.com/content/support/emea/emea/en/support/voice/polycom_uc/polycom_uc_softwar...
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 14,722 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-04-23 Please note::::::::   Whatever Polycom's current firmware release is, does not equal  RingCentral's firmware release. 

RingCentral's engineering team releases their firmware releases on their own schedule for what they have tested and validated as working on their system,

This is an IMPORTANT distinction.

If you are a RingCentral customer, using the correct firmware release for the hardware level you use will produce the best performance. 

If you choose to do otherwise - this is sort of one of those  At Your Own Risk decisions ---- you cannot expect RingCentral to support stuff they have not validated as working properly with their software and hardware implementation.

Caveat Emptor!
Photo of M. Taylor

M. Taylor

Hi Cecile Glassy,

Thanks for replying to my post. These comments and position are understandable, expected, and typical for a hosted VoIP provider.

Nonetheless, to me the deeper question is: Why would RingCentral's engineering team not maintain an approved Polycom firmware version that is at least close to the latest releases from Polycom?

Of course, testing and validating Polycom's firmware updates on RingCentral's system is essential. RingCentral understandably has to very carfeful about firmware updates disrupting their customers' phones. And, yes, not all firmware updates are critical and some could be skipped.

I wonder, though, about RingCentral's firmware strategy when they announce an upgrade to version 5.6.0 of the Polycom UC Software release when there are published security fixes in both 5.6.1 and 5.6.2 (among other fixes).

Please don't take my comments as being critical of RingCentral. As I wrote in my previous comment, my principle question is: Why would RingCentral release an older version of the 5.6.x stream?

Thanks.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 14,722 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-05-01 I would venture a guess, that there is a valid technical reason, through metrics at RC or other info gathering on open support cases, failed support cases etc. that this was the best solution for getting RingCentral's required command-set to work properly on Polycom phones in their installed User-base.   

I am positive, from 30 years in the technical side of hardware management, that roll-downs to earlier version of firmware are rarely the desired solution. 

However, RingCentral's engineering team had to make that judgement. It was not made lightly, and without exploring and rigorously testing every other alternative. 

This is just speculation on my part. 
Photo of Liane Anderson

Liane Anderson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • Models VVX 301, 311, 411, 500, and 600 business media phones will support a single Opus stream. Users can establish only one call at a time using the Opus codec on these phones. Additional calls will use second preferred codec g.722
  • Local conferencing on the VVX 301, 311,  411, 500, and 600 will NOT support OPUS codec.
Does this mean we lose our conference call capabilities?  I don't think I am understanding exactly what this is telling me.

Hi Liane, you will not lose conference calling capabilities :) 
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  Is anyone else in the community experiencing issues with vvx310 not working after the firmware push.  We have a case open and have sites that have been down for over 24 hours.  
Photo of Mike

Mike

As a follow-up for anyone interested our issues has been related to VLAN.   Once we create a flat network and remove the VLAN the issues resolved.  All locations had been up and running with VLANs before the update.  We are still working the case as another location with VVX411 was impacted.  
Photo of Mike

Mike

We had another client down after the firmware push last night.  We are working with support supplying logs to hopefully keep this from happening to anyone else.
Photo of Francisco Perez

Francisco Perez

• 60 Points
How will I know a phone has been updated? Do I just go to Settings - Status - Platform - Phone and look at Updater field? What will the new version number be, exactly? (FYI - my VVX 311 phone's Updater value shows 5.6.2.5888. Per earlier post, does that mean my phones are going to be downgraded?)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

2018-04-24 Hi Francisco, no the UPDATER is like a bootstrap script - it is not the same thing as the actual firmware version#.

On Polycom phones to view your firmware version

Press the Home Button Home button.

Select the Settings option.

For VVX 101, VVX 201, and VVX 301, Settings is located on the second page. Scroll to the right to locate the second page of menu.
For VVX 400/410, VVX500/510, and VVX 600, Settings is located on the bottom row of the menu.
For VVX D60 (DECT phone) Settings is located at the bottom of the menu.
Select Status or press 4.
Select Platform or press 1.
Select Application Parameters or press 2.
Select Main or press 1.
The firmware version will be displayed as numbers separated by periods "." to the right of Version.

Example Firmware Version: 5.5.2
(Edited)

Hey Everyone,

I'm still awaiting more details on specific questions that have been asked.

I wanted to also let you know that this upgrade is being pushed back to May. You should be receiving an updated schedule for your account soon.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

2018-04-25 Hi Saadet - we have not received any official notice of the delay for the Polycom firmware update, on a conference with RC Support yesterday they mentioned that ours was pushed up to April 20 -23rd (last weekend) --- which our phones do not indicate as actually having happened.....  as of today, I checked.     

Does your post here (above)   mean the firmware update  is pushed back for all RingCentral customers? 

Is this our official notice of the delay?   

What about all the customers who do not read this forum?   

There is some serious disconnect in communications between RC channels going on here --- please clarify.

---TIA
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Suggestion:::  double check your static routes and IP blocks listed in your network setup --- this is one of the first things they tell you to review when troubleshooting QOS issues which this is. 

https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/8804
Photo of Brian B.

Brian B.

• 576 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I wish it was that easy!! Everything checks out and nothing has changed except the updating of the phones firmware.. I think it has to do with the OPUS codec implementation. HD is also no longer shown on the screens to show HD calls. I'm just waiting for more people to get the new firmware and see the same issue.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

I suspect are on the right track about the OPUS codec implementation as nothing else has changed other than the firmware on your side.   Others have already been reporting the HD is no longer chosen by default on theirs.  I read a few posts about that the other day.
Photo of Grant

Grant

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have 35 VVX-411s that began having audio quality issues from the surprise 5.6.0.20009 update. RC just me asked for proof (really?) that it wasn't my network. But wait, there's more...

Most telling thing? SOMEBODY removed the offending build from the downgrade menu and replaced it with an alternate build of 5.6.0.xxx. Soooooo, that must be because there's nothing wrong with the build they pushed out without fully validating. ---- Nothing to see here, oh look a squirrel ---What build number? Is it your network? Come on Ring Central, stop wasting my time.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian B.

Brian B.

the ringcentral custom polycom builds are not shown on that list as its getting the generic builds from the polycom server..   I wish there was a ringcentral server option so we can downgrade back to 5.4.2.6722 that build was rock solid for us.
Photo of Brian B.

Brian B.

Has the problem with presence on the VVX 500 showing on the phones screen even though you want it only shown on the sidecar been fixed?  Even though I selected to leave empty slots 3-12 and the preview on my phone is correct in the admin panel.. the phone ignores the setting and moves everyone.
Photo of Boardroom One

Boardroom One

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are having the same problem...there's apparently an open support ticket in RingCentral's internal Jira tracking system for this but no fix yet. What we did was create 10 "Space Filler" virtual extensions that occupy spaces 3-12, and then assign them via Presence to the VVX into slots 3-12. Then any Presence Users will appear on slots 13 onwards and actually show up on the sidecar. Not ideal, as these "Space Filler" extensions appear as users in our RingCentral portal, but at least it gets the presence users onto the sidecar.

Hey Brian, looks like we are still working on this. You can open a case and include JIRA RC-47572 in your case so we can track & escalate it.
Photo of Grant

Grant

Saadet, is your audio codec problem (OPUS on Polycoms) still unresolved?
Photo of Brian B.

Brian B.

Not sure when but in the last couple of days all of our VVX phones were updated to 5.6.0.20009.  I thought it was going to happen middle to end of May but guess it was pushed up. We never received a notice about the update happening.. 
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

• 1,900 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
We were given a firmware update date which came & went without any update taking place.  Inquiring after the fact, we were directed to this thread.

Saadet - it should go without saying that customers schedule and execute work changes around published service interruptions.  When these change, it is not enough to post a comment in a community forum thread.

Hi Rob, I understand your frustration. I was simply relaying the information that I was given. If your company did not receive prior notice of this change, please contact your Account Manager.
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

• 1,900 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Saadet,

Aye, I know you don't drive the upgrade process/schedule/communications, but I expect that the forum is a two-way communication channel with internal RC departments who have made these mistakes, isn't it?

Hey Rob, I will for sure be relaying your frustration to the team! We are always looking for ways to improve and apologize that we missed the mark on this :(
Photo of Mike Rowe

Mike Rowe

• 870 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Functionality change that isn't listed in the change notes:

It completely changes how you choose your transfer type, we just finished training users on a new deployment how to choose because we use consulting generally and have to switch to blind if we need to send the call to voicemail.

The old procedure had you press and hold the transfer button to choose the type, the updated procedure shows you the "other" transfer type in the upper right after tapping or pressing on transfer, so if it says "Blind" you're doing a consulting transfer, if it says "Consu...." you're doing a Blind transfer.

This is massively inconvenient as we're less than 2 months out from deployment and our users were just about comfortable with the previous procedure, hoping this doesn't keep changing as having to retrain unexpectedly isn't ideal.

Photo of Slicktop

Slicktop

• 882 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The default transfer type can be changed to whichever option you like under Settings/Basic/Preferences/Default Transfer Type.
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

• 1,770 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I think the frustration is the confusing ui - when it says Blind, you’re in attended mode. When it says attended you’re in blind.
Photo of Mike Rowe

Mike Rowe

• 870 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The problem isn't with the default transfer type, we are aware of that setting, like I mentioned in my previous post we switch between consultative or blind depending on what we're doing, if transferring to a person we use consultative, however we do need to transfer to voicemail sometimes which requires a blind transfer in order to work. Hence why this functionality change was very confusing to our users.
Photo of Grant

Grant

Switching this without notice is completely unacceptable, and I have just noticed we are experiencing it as well. We work in sales, what if somebody had said something to a client thinking it was a co-worker! This is not a change that should ever be made without the administrators' and managers' knowledge. None of my people knew this until I read this forum post. I'm blown away by the lack of communication and respect.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

2018-05-17  You also can request your account manager to have them set a global config file and push it out to all users on your account  to set it back to what you had it set as before.     

We have thousands of users and this was the most efficient way to handle it for us. 
Photo of TRAILER

TRAILER

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are having our phones reboot during business hours. At 10a EST today I was preparing to make a call. As I was looking at my VVX410 a message appeared and said "Reboot Initiated" and my phone preceded to reboot itself. This is a pattern that we see all the time from RingCentral. I've asked the rep to help me understand how to allow me to control these reboots. No answers. Can someone let me know how you are controlling the reboots to ensure they don't take place during business hours?

• 38,106 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I've moved this to its own thread so we can gather more information

Please reference the new conversation here: Phone Reboots
Photo of Craig Braatz

Craig Braatz

• 60 Points
Is it possible to manually update the firmware?
Say logging into the phone's web interface?

Hey Craig,

It is possible to adjust the firmware via the phone's web GUI. However, I would suggest waiting for the update to roll out to your account.