Where to View Text Messages when Logged in Online

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am logged into my account online & I can't find text messages anywhere. I have both sent & received text messages via RingCentral. I see the "Messages" area where I can listen to voicemail & view incoming faxes. I cannot find text messages anywhere. I can view them in the app, but not while logged in on the website. HELP! Thanks!
Photo of Jennie Fager

Jennie Fager

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 38,114 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Jennie,
You won't find them in the RingCentral Admin/Users web portal. You can see them in the Windows/Mac application called RingCentral Phone (previously called the RingCentral Windows app).

Are you trying to find them in the web portal or the computer application (Windows or Mac)?
Photo of Lucas Leigh

Lucas Leigh

• 60 Points
The Mac application doesn't even work on Catalina. 
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

• 5,090 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Lucas!

Which application do you have? is it the RingCentral Phone or the RIngCentral Unified App?
Photo of Luc Rumpeltes

Luc Rumpeltes, Employee

• 60 Points
Hi Jennie,

You should be able to view your text messages under the "People" on the left side rail of the web app. However, as Jan mentioned, this requires you to be signed into our web application, Glip, specifically. The URL for Glip is app.glip.com. Please let me know if that fixes the problem!

Please let me know if I have misunderstood your request and we can continue to troubleshoot.
(Edited)
Photo of Meg Russell

Meg Russell

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I can't find my text messages anywhere not in the desktop url and not in the glip app. Why does this have to be so complicated???? And why are there different urls or apps, why isn't everything accessible in one place or another. This is a development flaw. I keep getting notified of text messages and have no place to read them!
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Meg, that's weird...have you contacted Support about this? 
Photo of Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams

• 70 Points
Did this ever get fixed? If so how? We are having the same issue!
Photo of Deborah Burian

Deborah Burian

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
it's unbearably stupid that we can't see texts on the desktop without jumping through hoops
Photo of Priscilla Wetmore

Priscilla Wetmore

• 60 Points
I'm not getting an answer on this either. Has anyone?
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

• 2,528 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello Priscilla!

Is your issue not able to view text messages on the app.glip.com?
Photo of Jeffrey Schoen

Jeffrey Schoen

• 402 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with customers Jennie and Meg - we should be able to read text messages while on the RingCentral Admin/Users web portal (same place where we can see the call log and voice messages) and not need Glip or any other app or website. Moreover, the location of text messages should be intuitive - same as it is so easy to find our contacts, the call log and voice messages - so we don't need to view a tutorial every time someone sends a text msg to our main phone number.

Photo of Joe Garcia

Joe Garcia

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This part of the system is not intuitive in the least.  I have to look at the phone all the time to get texts coming into the office.  Too bad, as the rest of the system seems to be pretty okay to use.  
Photo of Melissa Fischer

Melissa Fischer

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Not only do we have to go to the app instead of being able to access this info through the portal, but we have to log out of our regular extension and log on to a special extension in order to check the texts.  Very clunky & not user friendly :( 
Photo of Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams

• 70 Points
I’m having to chat with someone because even after logging into the main number I still can’t find it. Very frustrating. Thanks for your help.
Photo of James Valdes

James Valdes

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I can see recent text messages under "Direct Messages." However, I cannot see old threads of texts. But if I go to Direct messages and click new message and then click "send text message" and then type in the contact, I can see the thread with that contact. That's a lot of clicking.

Photo of James Valdes

James Valdes

This doesn't appear to work anymore.
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

• 2,638 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello James!

Due to recent update, the text messages are moved to a different icon. On the lower left panel, you will see one of the icons that says Call, click it then select Text.
Photo of Spoonhandle

Spoonhandle

• 630 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I was up in arms thinking text messaging was removed from the Ringcentral app. I actually like it being moved to that section. Thank you for the info!
Photo of James Valdes

James Valdes

Sweet. Thank you Mary Rose.
Photo of Jeffrey Schoen

Jeffrey Schoen

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Mary Rose, you wrote "On the lower left panel, you will see one of the icons that says Call, click it then select Text." On the lower left panel of what? Ringcentral has no lower left panel. app.glip.com does have a lower left panel, but of all the icons and stuff, not one of them says Call.

Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hello Jeffrey!

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the one I'm referring to is the app.glip.com. On the lower left panel, look for a tab or icon that says Phone. 
Photo of Jeffrey Schoen

Jeffrey Schoen

my lower left panel does have those icons BUT NOT the phone icon. what do suppose is going on?
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hello Jeffrey!

Are you the Admin on the account?
Photo of Jeffrey Schoen

Jeffrey Schoen

Yes I am
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

You need to enable phone features on the app in the Administration settings.

Go to app.glip.com
Click your profile picture on the upper right corner.
Go to Administration.
Toggle Enable Phone Features.
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

The slider button should turn blue once enabled.
Photo of Jeffrey Schoen

Jeffrey Schoen

When I checked, this feature was already enabled. I disabled it and logged out of both glip and Ringcentral, then logged back in. The feature was enabled again but still no Phone icon. Now what?
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

• 1,776 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jeffrey!

Can you post a screenshot of your app, please? So we can check if we are seeing the same information that we have here.

Thanks!

Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

Thanks for the screenshot you provided, can we use a different browser?
I see that you used a Mozilla Firefox, can we use Chrome, please? 

Thanks! 
Photo of Jeffrey Schoen

Jeffrey Schoen

Wow, that WORKED! Now we just need: (a) this feature to work in Firefox (so I don't need to have multiple browsers open), and (b) to be able to access texts in RingCentral desktop (so I don't need to open glip in the first place).
New Q: is there a way to block a phone number that sends spam texts (similar to the way we can block phone numbers that make spam calls)?
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

That's awesome! 

1. No, if the phone icon is not visible to Firefox means we don't have an update yet for it.
2. There is a RingCentral App, get it here! Choose the RingCentral App version 20.2.2

Our unified app is still improving. So I suggest you need to go to your Admin Web Portal to block it or you can use your mobile app by simply go to Phone Icon > text > Look for the text message (spam) > Tap the number > Block.

Thanks! 

Photo of Bello

Bello

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
where can i find the text messages either on the web site or on the app.glip??  why is this so complicated?  i see text messages on teh rc phone app

Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

• 1,376 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Bello,

Apologies, as you see the screenshot above, you need to click the phone icon > text. 

Thanks!
Photo of James Valdes

James Valdes

In the website (app.glip.com), on the lower left panel, you will see one of the icons that says Call, click it then select Text.
Photo of Jason Thompson

Jason Thompson

• 60 Points
under the admin portal how do you view text messages sent to main company number?  Next how do you send and receive texts via the main company number ... I'm only able to send/receive texts under my user profile or mobile app.
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hello Jason!

There is no option to view text messages on the Admin portal. You. have to install RingCentral App to view SMS.

To receive and send SMS from the main company number, your extension must be set as the operator extension on the account. You may check on this link on how to setup your extension as the operator. 

https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/How-to-access-the-advanced-call-handling-feature-of-the-auto-receptionist?language=en_US

Thanks!
Photo of Wendy Pelle-Beer

Wendy Pelle-Beer

• 60 Points
how do I access text messages on Safari in RC app or glip
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hello Wendy,

Look for a tab that says "Phone" on the lower left of your screen. Then go to Texts.
Photo of Rhonda Franklin

Rhonda Franklin

• 70 Points
I just had my toll free number ported over and before, I was able to see texts to the original account number we had by going to the desktop app and viewing them there but since the port in of our toll free number, I don't see texts coming in via the desktop app.

Any advice?
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hi Rhonda!

For newly ported numbers, SMS will be activated after 72 hours. If still not activated, please create a Support Ticket so that they can check on their system.
Photo of Rhonda Franklin

Rhonda Franklin

• 70 Points
Thank you!