Why are "guests" suddenly appearing in my RingCentral app?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I have been using the RingCentral phone app on my mobile devices and MacBooks for years with no problem. Last time I looked at Glip I had no use for it.

Then last week we set up a couple of new employee phone numbers so I decided to try the RingCentral desktop app on my MacBook. This morning a name suddenly appeared on my "People" page. The name appears with stripes on the background so I realized it was a "guest" but I did not recognize the name, and I didn't invite any "guests" to our party.

A few hours later a second name appeared - I didn't recognize that one either. I didn't have time to look into it, but then later this afternoon suddenly dozens of names appeared.

A few of these names are listed as "My Guests" but most of them only appear when I select "All Guests."

I have no idea who these people are, or how they got into my app. I have asked everyone else around our company and nobody recognizes any of the names.

We only started using this RingCentral desktop app a few days ago so I don't even know what "guests" are all about. Nobody here has invited any "guests" to join our team.

Can anyone explain what's going on? Does this sound like normal behavior?

Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

• 1,514 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Robert,

I can explain this one.

While we were in beta (when the app was previously called Glip) we experimented with a feature that showed all incoming phone calls in the left panel.  We decided to remove the feature, as it got some bad feedback from beta testers, but this didn't remove the call logs in the People section.  Thus, what you're seeing is old records.  This should no longer be happening.

If you give me a call tomorrow I would be delighted to walk you through how to remove the records, and tell you about the upcoming features in the new RC app so we can get you and your team more comfortable adopting it.

Here's my direct number and email: 650-837-0076, ted.jaffe@ringcentral.com

Regards,
Ted
Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ted, thanks for the information. I will reach out by email to coordinate a convenient time.

However, I'm skeptical about your diagnosis. I have looked up a number of these "guests" while trying to figure out whether I (or we) know them. (I can see their company name and email address so it's easy enough to get basic information.)

I'm 100% confident that I've never talked to any of these people. They are totally random, from a cemetery in California to an insurance broker in Toronto Canada. If they were simply "missed calls" where someone dialed a wrong number by mistake, they probably wouldn't appear as "guests" right?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to talking about this.

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 20,696 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am having the same issue myself.  I was an early adopter/beta tester with Glip so it makes some sense.  I also don't recognize most of the guests I see on my account (but some I do even though I never interacted with them on Glip).  A few weeks ago I was seeing some pop up on the left side of my screen too, but now I only see them under the guest list filter.

Is it just a matter of deleting them all manually?  It seems I may have ~100.

Thanks.
Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

• 1,514 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
H Robert, Brandon,

Let's touch base offline, and I'd be delighted to walk you through it in detail.  It's an issue only impacting early beta testers so it's not widespread enough to post all the details here.

If anyone else reads this who has same issue feel free to contact me directly with info above.

Regards,
Ted