Why Can't Glip call to team member be Instant like Skype call?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Planned
  1. Account type - U.S
  2. A brief description of the business - property management
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: If RC has control of my internet/voip environment, why can't Glip mimic Skype when it comes to ease of use when calling those I'm connected with? Why does Glip use RC Meetings, which is takes too many steps to connect?
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature - everyday we'd use this feature as it's often faster to have a 5 minute phone call than to exchange 10 SMSs.
  5. Benefit of such feature - more efficient communication within company!
  6. Include any related case number if applicable - N/A
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines - users 24, digital lines 14
When using Skype, a user can enter SMS, pics, etc., but if that is not efficient enough all you have to do is click the Call button and you can have a quick conversation with someone. 

Glip offers a call button, but it goes through RC Phone. Why can't it stay within Glip environment and reference email ID instead of phone number ID?
Photo of Drew Drew

Drew Drew

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,388 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This feature is now available for Admins to turn on without going through support.  For instructions please visit:  Glip Telephony Admin Setting Update
Photo of Drew Drew

Drew Drew

Thanks! We've been sing this. Not exactly what we were envisioning though. We have several admins paired on various softphone lines (which RC customer support told us we could do) and we'd like to be able to call them direct instead of typing everything. Using their email as an ID within the RingCentral environment is what we were hoping for.

Any other work-around ideas would be appreciated!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

I'm not sure If I'm following you correctly. So would it need to ring more than one person via Glip?  If so, you can create group conversations and teams for those individuals.  Then the icon at the top of the screen changes from the phone to the conference icon like below. 

Photo of Drew Drew

Drew Drew

See, this is the exact reason why being able to easily/quickly have a verbal conversation with someone is so important:)

We're both typing, but not effectively communicating:(

So, let's try this again :)

We have two people assigned to our softphone x525 as they rarely need to use the phone at the same time. But, let's say one of them is using that phone extension, but I want to call the other person assigned to it. How do I do that? 

When I use the call button on Skype, I get a dropdown that allows me to choose, "Call Skype", Call mobile", "Call office", etc. So, I can call Skype and bypass using a phone number - even though either call would use VOIP.

If Glip used a worker's email or other type of unique ID, instead of only a phone number, than I could speak with the 2nd person on a phone extension through Glip.

Or, am I missing a Glip function that would allow this?

Thanks for your patience in trying to understand me!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

If they are not separate users in Glip, just add them as separate individuals. Each user in Glip has to have a unique email address. 
Photo of Drew Drew

Drew Drew

We've added them as separate users in Glip using their email addresses. But, then there is no button to call them, only a button to video chat - which takes me to RC Meetings, which takes to long. 

AM I missing something else?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Drew,  It sounds like it's some sort of issue with hour you have them configured. I do think it's best that you give Live Support a call so they can look at the account and see how you have the users set up. 
Photo of Drew Drew

Drew Drew

Wish it was that easy! 

Already tried it with CSR 2nd level Marina 

Any other suggestions? Or who should I speak with specifically?

Much appreciated:)
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Open a case online, then reply back here with the case number so we can track it with you.  In the case notes be sure to include all of the user information their direct numbers, email addresses, screenshots, etc. 

Photo of Drew Drew

Drew Drew

Case #06953920