Windows 10 and Ring Central Desktop App (BETA)

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: : We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

Just upgraded to Windows 10 and am unable to get the ring central desktop app to start.  I have tried to uninstall/reinstall, run as admin, run compatibility mode for windows 7 & 8 but no luck.  If anyone has been able to get working please let me know your secret!  Thanks.
Photo of Doan

Doan

• 720 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

• 1,144 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Mike & Charlton,

What is the update with the Windows 10 Version of the Desktop App?  Has RingCentral gotten it to work successfully on your Windows 10 Machines?  It failed on my computer also so I just removed it entirely, along with purging the Registry.  I figured I would wait 6 months and try again.  Honestly, I really don't miss the App that much if it is not going to work.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
At this time it is still in beta for Windows 10.   We'll update this thread when it's officially supported. 

Mike 
Photo of Paula S Pike

Paula S Pike

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Do for all of us that can't use our RingCentral right now due to Windows 10 are we going to be given a credit to our accounts?
Photo of Daniel Philip Howe

Daniel Philip Howe

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't know why this worked but it seems the RingCentral staff is aware of this work around:
1Uninstall the app.  
2Go to registry find all keys pointing to ring central.  
3Then reboot.  
4Install fresh.

Worked for me.,
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,168 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Daniel,

I, for one, try to keep my clients away from the registry. Mistakes there can lead to massive problems. I can't speak for RingCentral but they may not tell people about this workaround if they have the slightest hint that the customer is not computer literate.

It sounds like a big plus that you were able to work around the Windows 10 issues. I am a database developer and Microsoft often throws zingers into their operating systems which can cause issues for us developers. I shudder every time they announce a new OS version.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Jan is correct. Any mistakes in the Registry can have sever consequences.  If you are not familiar with doing a clean install, you'll want to contact our telephone support. 
Photo of Doan

Doan

Hey Mike. Sorry that you have to defend bad software! Maybe your top tier can get it together? I am forced to do a fresh install of win 10 before I jump ship and change providers. What is clear...very clear is this is a RC issue and not an isolated incadent as your staff try to make me believe. "At this time we do not support win 10...or better this is beta software only." Really??
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hello Doan,   We are not denying, or saying that there aren't any RingCentral issues.  We do still have some work to do and this is why we are not promoting this as being Windows 10 supported at this time. We are finding some issues that are specific to certain machines. I have personally installed RC Desktop on two Win10 machines without any problems, while others are reporting issues, or can't get the software to even launch. In most cases a clean install (remove old registry entries), fixes the problem.  If you have tried a clean install and are still having issues we would like to hear the specifics. 

Mike 
Photo of Doan

Doan

Thanks Mike, sorry this has been very frustrating.  I did in fact do a clean install and with all my applications, etc, it took about  a day to do!  So far so good as the app installed without a hitch and have not had any issues...so back to business as usual.  So am good to go!  Appreciate your diligence and help with all and hope you guys can get things worked out for those who upgrade.  Personally, I think it is always better to do a clean install of a new OS versus upgrading....
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Great to hear!  Thank you for the feedback.

Mike 
Photo of Doan

Doan

You bet and good luck to you sir!
Photo of LAWRENCE

LAWRENCE

I uninstalled the software and installed an older version and all now seems to be working fine. I'm not celebrating just yet... because it worked perfect on my Win 10 for 4 weeks and then it just stopped.....Im now have a "wait&see" moment
Photo of LAWRENCE

LAWRENCE

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Softphone Stopped working after win 10 update 5 days ago on Oct 13th.

This is the error msg I keep getting when I try to load the softphone eversince my win 10 aout updated 5 Days ago

Problem: m_externalAppLauncher != 0

Details:
Exception

>>> 

m_externalAppLauncher
!= 0

<<< 

ESS::Assertion
in thread main (11988) @ x:\workspace\prev_bld_all_git\src\modanoapp\ModanoApplication.h:657
in class ModanoApp::ExternalAppLaunch::CmdLauncher &__thiscall
ModanoApp::ModanoApplication::GetExternalAppLauncher(void)

* Stack trace *

ESS::BaseException::GetStack

ESS::BaseException::BaseException

ModanoApp::ModanoApplication::GetExternalAppLauncher

ModanoApp::QmlIntfObject::getExternalAppCMD

ModanoApp::QmlIntfObject::qt_static_metacall

ModanoApp::QmlIntfObject::qt_metacall

QMetaObject::metacall

QV4::Script::run

QV4::QObjectWrapper::setProperty

RtlAllocateHeap

RtlAllocateHeap

malloc

QV4::Script::run

QV4::QObjectWrapper::getProperty

QQmlPropertyCache::method

QV4::QObjectMethod::callInternal

QV4::QObjectMethod::call

QV4::Runtime::callProperty

QV4::QmlExtensions::markObjects

QV4::QmlExtensions::markObjects

I have twice deleted, restarted my machine and re-download and re-installed the software
Photo of Steven Hollar

Steven Hollar

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled the operating system is not presently configured to run this application.
Photo of Eric Marshall

Eric Marshall

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Desktop App: Windows 10 App - Call Disconnects after about 10 minutes.

I have a US account. I have started using the windows 10 application (latest version 8.1.1.21232). Every time I am on a call, after about 9 or 10 minutes, the caller on the other end can not hear me anymore. I have to hang up and call back, then the connection is fine.

I am using a Plantronics Voyager Focus UC headset. With the same headset, I do not have the same issue when I use the android application. 

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Photo of Eric L

Eric L

• 2,648 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Desktop App: Windows 10 Missed call notification banner blocks Ignore & Answer bu....

RingCentral for Windows - Vers 8.1.2.21236

We just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, which is working great, but I've got an issue with the notification banners for missed calls.  For starters, they're primarily appearing when a new call comes in, and the location of the banner covers the Ignore & Answer buttons for the incoming call (see image below).

In an attempt to resolve this issue, I've turned off the notification banners for the RC Desktop App through the Windows settings.  This only solves the issue temporarily, because logging off my computer apparently resets the notification settings I changed for RC Desktop; every day when I log-in to my computer, I have to go into the Windows Notification Settings to the RC Desktop notification banners off.  After consulting with our own IT guy, he said that it's most likely an application error with RC Desktop.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Eric L ,   For now, the only thing I know if is to turn off the notifications.  Although the desktop app works fine for most people using Win10, it is still in beta for Win10.  You may want to click the Follow button at the top of this page. When it's released for Win10 we'll update this thread. 
Photo of Eric L

Eric L

Hi Mike,

The thing is that I turn off the notifications for RC Desktop App every day when I log back in to my computer.  I was hoping to find out how to get the notification change I'm making to "stick", so that I don't have to do it every morning.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that RC Desktop defaults to its original notification settings every time it's launched, but I'm not sure...
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Eric, What version of RingCentral Desktop app are you using?  I tested v 8.2.1 on a Win10 machine and I turned of the notifications, and they stayed off after rebooting.  

I actually think what you are experiencing is a Windows issue, not something in the RingCentral app.  If you google "Windows 10 desktop notifications won't stay off" you'll find numerous forums discussing this issue. 

Mike 
Photo of Eric L

Eric L

I'm running v 8.1.2.21236.

Is there a way for me to download 8.2.1?  I just checked, and the download link for the app is still for 8.1.2. I'd like to see if updating to 8.2.1 fixes the issue for me before I start doing some of the stuff those forums talk about for solutions.  I have actually googled it before, and I'd like to avoid messing with stuff like the Registry if possible.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Eric, we are still in the process of pushing out 8.2.1.  You might check to see if you have the upgrade available yet.  Meanwhile, I'll email you the download link. 

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.