Windows Mobile/Universal App for RingCentral

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

Any hopes for an official RC @windowsphone app?

Submitted by Steven Banks.
Photo of RingCentral Social Team

RingCentral Social Team, Official Rep

• 2,224 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
While I can't explain some users technical or philosophical issues with Windows 10 (at this point in time anyway) I can say that it seems pretty clear that Microsoft is deprecating Win32 and encouraging development for the Universal App platform. This can be seen in their many "bridges" which can port code from iOS, .Net, Win32, and the Web to the UWP platform without rewriting the entire app. Financially speaking it's probably not going to break the bank to port over an iOS app if it is as simple as they say it is. UWP apps are faster, more secure, have a smaller footprint, easy to manage, and can support new chip technologies like deep system sleep states. I like to use technologies that gives me these features. This is why I would like a Universal App.
Photo of Wes Stewart

Wes Stewart

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I think the real reason MS is pushing Universal Apps and their store is they see the fortune Google and Apple are making in their app stores with their 30% cut.  If you don't think that is the case why is one of the few third party apps installed on a new Windows 10 install Candy Crush Saga with its in-app purchases?

Apple knows how to do it very well in the mobile space, yet the Mac App Store has been a flop.  I don't think the appifying of software really translates well to desktop computing.
Photo of enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm not so sure. MS makes most of their revenue from Enterprise and Office. Besides, that argument doesn't factor into RingCentral making an app for the Universal platform since the app is free. 
Photo of Roberta Bonfield

Roberta Bonfield

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Windows phones.

Please can you consider making the mobile app available to Windows phone users in future....
Photo of Jim Adkins

Jim Adkins

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled WINDOWSPHONE Operating System 8.1.

This works under Windows Phone operating system 7.... Can you guys get it o work under operating system 8.1 and 10 (See the link here)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/ringcentral/9nblggh0f6kb
Photo of David Smith

David Smith

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a windows phone and in need to make calls from phone if you want me to stay with this service or get more people in from my company.

Looks like you been working on this idea for three years, if you want windows phone people or not, Windows is growing and many starting to get into as they have more features for cheaper prices. So I will not go back to andriod and apple is the worst only people are with them for name not value. Most computer power users use windows or android and even starting to rise with linux.

Please start working on a windows app, if not I will not bring the rest of our people and will be leaving this as I only joined as the sales person said you are working on getting a windows app. This is no way for me to use the phone right now, so this is becomeing a business phone only and not a complete phone.
Photo of David Smith

David Smith

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled new app in need (Windows Phone Mobile App).

You have 2 of the 3 major phone operating systems.

We need a Windows Mobile App (Windows 10)
Photo of Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner

Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner, Champion

• 32,184 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
David,

Disclaimer: I am NOT a RingCentral employee!

I doubt that will ever happen. Windows Phone market is less than 1% of the major phone operating systems. I personally cannot see where RingCentral will use manpower and resources for such a small percentage of possible clientele. They need to make a profit on their systems and Windows Phone just doesn't have enough usage to justify it.

As you can see in the previous threads, people say that Windows  phone is growing but I don't know where they are getting their stats from.

Here are two links that prove otherwise:

From May 2016
https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/23/11743594/microsoft-windows-phone-market-share-below-1-percent

From February 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/16/14634656/android-ios-market-share-blackberry-2016

I also found this from July 17, 2017, which includes an announcement from Microsoft that they are ending support for Windows Phone 8.1

"Last week, the company announced it was ending support for Windows Phone 8.1, the latest in a series of moves marking the end of the Windows Phone. These have also included saying the company was no longer focusing on phones and laying off mobile phone staff last year after its disastrous acquisition of Nokia and general inability to compete with Google Android for handset deals and consumer interest.

The writing was on the wall, with Microsoft’s smartphone platform market share nearing zero — 0.1 percent globally in the first quarter of 2017, according to research firm Gartner. In the past six years, operating systems like BlackBerry and Symbian have also gone under as smartphones ceded ground to Apple and Google.

Google’s Android now owns about 86 percent of the global smartphone market share. Apple’s iOS iPhone has a smaller market share, though its phones are much more expensive and thus take an outsized chunk of revenue."

Here's the citation on it:
https://www.recode.net/2017/7/17/15984222/microsoft-windows-phone-mobile-operating-system-android-ip...

Photo of GraniteStateColin

GraniteStateColin

• 720 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
@Jan Ferguson, while they have also put Windows 10 Mobile into a maintenance mode now and even I (as someone who had previously requested it) don't think it makes sense for RingCentral to add support for Windows Phone now, your comment is oddly off-point. Windows Phone 8.1 is an old version that was replaced with Windows 10 long before you posted that. That's like pointing out that MS had ended support for Windows XP. Only ended, because they have asked everyone to move to the newer version.

So while Windows Phone is ending, regular full Windows now runs on Arm processors and MS is working to release devices on this (called Andromeda) in 2018, so I would still like to see RingCentral work on making a UWP version of the app that we can download from the Microsoft Store and runs well on a touch device and can use a cellular connect and voice rather than require data or at least provide better direct support for RingOut, including Cortana integration for initiating a voice call from the address book (including contacts in Outlook) and then using RingOut to cause the call to go through the cellular connection.
(Edited)

If you read the entire post, it was not off-point. It wasn't about Windows Phone 8.1 being an old version. I was quoting a Microsoft announcement, which happened to address the availability of Windows Phone 8.1 support, which also outlined the non-future of the Windows Phone. This was in direct response to David Smith's comment, "You have 2 of the 3 major phone operating systems. We need a Windows Mobile App (Windows 10)."

I was pointing out that there was no way a Windows 10 mobile app was going to be created since Microsoft stopped their support of the mobile phone market at the Windows Phone 8.1 level. The last two paragraphs, which are part of the overall announcement, address the points that David Smith made. That said, I never quote only several paragraphs of an announcement out of context. I quoted the entire announcement which contained the portions I wanted to highlight (namely the last two paragraphs). Certainly not off-point.
(Edited)
Photo of Ted

Ted, Product Manager

• 870 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
RingCentral has no plans to develop any apps for Windows 10 Mobile. In July 2017, Microsoft officially stopped support for Windows Phone 8.1. During the past year, there have been multiple reports with direct statements from Microsoft representatives that Microsoft is no longer developing new features for the Windows 10 Mobile OS. They've seized development for their own Microsoft apps, such as Office, for Windows 10 Mobile and instead have focused on the support of their apps for iOS and Android.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.