News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
RingCentral SCIM Create User assign local number from pool
Tags: rest api, scim
Oct 29, 2021 at 10:41am   •   5 replies  •  1 likes
Jon Moubayed

Is there a way to assign a specific local number on the SCIM Create User API? We have a large pool of local numbers but want to assign specific area code ones to specific users.

on Oct 29, 2021 at 2:02pm   •  0 likes

Hey @Jon Moubayed ,

We have yet to get a good answer on this topic. While SCIM can be used to Create a user record, assigning a specific PhoneNumber (DID) to a user/Extension - that's a problem.

on Oct 29, 2021 at 2:58pm   •  0 likes

Is it possible to assign a number to an extension. If thats the case we could create an extension, assign a number to that extension, then create a user with that extension?

4 Answers
answered on Nov 7, 2022 at 2:43pm  

@thanya c

That API (https://platform.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/phone-number?$options) does not return usageType of Inventory nor NumberPool. Those are the same meaning (available/not-assigned) but two different labels (ugh...)

1667860528536.png

The API I use to get usageType=Inventory is
https://platform.ringcentral.com/restapi/v2/accounts/~/phone-numbers?usageType=Inventory

answered on Nov 3, 2021 at 11:01am  

@Paul Rarey Thank you for the response. If we have a phone number that already has an existing extension I wonder if we can create a user with that designated extension. I attempted it with the update multiple extension API but its in beta and it seems like its broken right now.

on Nov 3, 2021 at 11:41am   •  0 likes

Hey @Jon Moubayed ,

A phoneNumber that is in inventory, assigned or not-assigned cannot currently be "assigned" to a newly created User/Extension via APIs (careful with terminology re: "Extension" vs. "ExtensionNumber").

The API set we are pending access to is "ReAssign phoneNumber". That ReAssign label can be confusing. It just means "assign $ThisPhoneNumber to $ThisUser/Extension".

The ReAssign context means the phoneNumber is "in inventory" vs. "buy that phoneNumber and assign to $"

on Nov 2, 2022 at 7:03am   •  0 likes

@Paul Rarey @Mary-Community_Moderator
Do RC support adding phoneNumber to a user from available pool through api. As the last answer is 1 year old, I just want to confirm wether there is any new changes in the api or not.

on Nov 2, 2022 at 10:45am   •  0 likes

Hey @thanya c

I have not yet seen RC's SCIMv2 API able to provision a phn# from Inventory.

SCIM is not the right tool/API to determine which phn# in Inventory should be assigned. That would be a logicApp querying for phn#s with $criteria (e.g. country.areaCode.prefix).

Attached is my Get-rcInventory.ps1 Get-rcInventory.zip

You will notice the $endPoint has ~/restapi/v2/... which was not generally available when I crafted the PowerShell script. It may be now, though I don't see reference to it in RC's API Reference pages.

on Nov 2, 2022 at 10:32pm   •  0 likes

@Paul Rarey
I have found one api end point which returns all the phone numbers for the given account. Is this the one which returns the inventory pool for all unassigned available numbers.
https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Phone-Numbers/listAccountPhoneNumbers

answered on Oct 29, 2021 at 2:56pm  

This is just to confirm with you that it is not possible. I already reported and requested for this feature. Let me check with the PM to see where we are and will give you some update later.

answered on Oct 29, 2021 at 3:56pm  

Hey @Phong Vu & @Jon Moubayed,

We have and a few discussions & working session with an RC/Support SME on this topic.

Our developer demonstrated a couple different "Create User/Extension" scenarios.

Using SCIM ~/scim/v2/Users & Using ~/restapi/v1.0/account/{$accountid}/extension

The RC Support SME concluded:

• There is no customer visible API to assign an in-inventory Phn# to a user/Extension.

This was also stated in the meeting/workshop email summary:

"... I updated our internal JIRA to give you access to the Re-assign phone number API. ..."

"... It looks like the backend team needs to let you use these internal APIs by resetting a flag, until then you will keep running into the http 5XX error like yesterday. I will let you know as soon as our Engineer gets back to me with more info ..."

@Phong Vu - I can share the Support SME person & another RC person involved. I'm reluctant to drop them here. Paul.Rarey@roberthalf.com

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us