News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
If I enable call recording by extension do I sill need to enable it by Ring Group?
Tags: call recording
Mar 25, 2022 at 9:08am   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
Susan Pieroni

We haven't been on RingCentral for that long and am still working my way through a lot of features. It has been decided to record all inbound calls for all extensions in our service department. All of these same extensions also belong to the same Ring Group. Since recording is enabled at the extension level is it necessary at the Ring Group level?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

2 Answers
answered on Mar 25, 2022 at 9:58am  

Short answer is 'Yes'. Extension and Call Group are two separate entities.

We created a template to override the Call Recording, and then every so often go back and re-run it.

For some 'unknown' reason - call recording keeps getting turned off on random staff... and there's nothing in the Audit Log (when that works) that shows it, nor has tech support been able to say what's causing it to get switched off.

Also - if you're using it for trying to go back and review calls in the past - recall that RC doesn't store anything past 6 months. (why 6 months, again - no clue when storage is cheap) You'll need to get a good storage/export service to hold anything longer.

Please remember to look at your local/state laws for regulations on call recording/notification to callers - that's a big deal here in California!

Have fun.

on Mar 25, 2022 at 2:18pm   •  0 likes

Perhaps it is due to deleting/re adding extensions for turnover staff? That's usually when I have clients mention the recording isn't enabled because it won't automatically add the new user back into the auto call record group unless selected.

answered on Mar 25, 2022 at 10:17am  

Hi Joe,

Thanks for responding so quickly. What about the "warning message"? Will the caller hear that message twice - once when they hit the Ring Group and then again when it hits an extension?

I wasn't aware of the six-month limitation so thanks for the heads up there! It does seem strange. We came from Mitel and had years worth of recordings.

Our state does allow recording as long as both parties are notified so we are good there.

Thanks again!

on Mar 25, 2022 at 10:21am   •  0 likes

You know... in all this time, I've never checked. *yikes*

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us