question

IT Xpress avatar image
IT Xpress asked Brad Templeton answered

Fax Delivery to Call Queue

Have a bit of a weird one. Have a client that directs their incoming faxes to their main Call Queue. They have a handful of employees who login with the RC Phone app to the Call Queue account to manage the fax queue. Then they login to their personal RC accounts in the desktop RingCentral App. But suddenly, all faxes started routing to the Super Admin. We checked the settings, and faxes direct to the Company Default Fax Recipient, which is the IVR which directs to the main Call Queue extension. So we set the fax destination explicitly to the main Call Queue extension. Now the first person in the Call Queue list gets the faxes. They don't show up in the Call Queue account. I know RC Phone is going away, so that may be why. But how can we keep their functionality (directing faxes to multiple people) I saw multiple feature requests for this but no real direction. Sending Fax Notifications via email to a shared email box would work - but their email provider doesn't support shared mailboxes and they used the Fax Queue in the RC Phone app as a sort of 'handled/not handled' tracker. If you handled a fax, you downloaded then deleted the fax from the queue. If a fax was sitting there - it needed attention. If they have to migrate away from RC Phone, we can use browser profiles to setup a fax only profile logged into the Call Queue account... if we can get faxes to be delivered there again.

Is this a bug from a recent release? Can we setup a random extension without paying for another phone line just to collect incoming faxes that they can login to to manage?

faxcall queuessoftphone
2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Joe Cache avatar image Joe Cache commented ·

Are they running an on-prem exchange or 365?

There's a nice bit of software called 'CodeTwo Exchange Rules' - we're running it and we have close to 20 fax lines coming in.

We have the email from the fax line come in to a distribution group (exchange) which gets stripped off by CodeTwo and saved to a network location. Before any of this happens, we forward the full email to an archive account (for compliance, chain of, etc.) CodeTwo then sends a small (2k) email to the group saying they have a fax in the 'XXXX' folder.

This way, everyone doesnt get the 3-15M attachment duplicated, filling inboxes. :)

We ran into this issue when first onboarding with RC, and the CodeTwo solved a lot of issues. (it does more than just basic email)

Hope this helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
IT Xpress avatar image IT Xpress Joe Cache commented ·

That was our first idea - just using an Office 365 shared mailbox for the fax deliveries. But they use an IMAP webhost and don't want to switch. In their eyes it worked before - so want it back to the way it was.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Brad Templeton avatar image
Brad Templeton answered

I am doing something similar for my organization. I have a call queue setup for each of our fax numbers delivering to a single email address in our organization but with a tag in the email address that allows me to route to designated folder. ie. fax+9165551234@company.com, fax+9165554567@company.com.

Then you can use Power Automate to receive the message and rule a switch command to save the file to a designated location. Each switch case would be the fax+{number}@company.com and use the File System Action to create the file.

1684938598591.png

1684938598591.png (33.5 KiB)
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app