News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
SMS FAQ
Tags: rest api, sms and text messaging
Jul 27, 2015 at 12:21pm   •   7 replies  •  0 likes
ak

The Send SMS API allows you to send SMS from the RC number that you have logged in as. Here are the typical scenarios for from and to numbers.

"From Numbers

Case 1: Main Extension number

When you are logged in as the Main Extension Number ( Ext 101 ) the message would be sent from Ext 101 to the to number

Case 2: Other Extensions

When you have an extension with both a Digital Line and a Direct number and you are logged in using either of them. A message would be sent from the number that you use as the From number ( digital / direct )

To Numbers

The To numbers could be either:

• PSTN
  • RC Number ( Main Number / Extension / )

Text Message size restrictions:

We support up to 1000 characters for the text message.

Short Codes:

Currently we do not support Short Codes for the extension numbers.

7 Answers
answered on Jul 4, 2019 at 12:19pm  

Based on Chris's question "Can we receive messages and, if so, how can we receive messages via the API? "

Yes, the sms content can be captured with the API /restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/~/message-store/<message id>/content/<attachment id>

All you need to do is to provide the exact message id and the attachment id related to the message

answered on Mar 23, 2016 at 10:36pm  
Could you open a case with our Developer Support team addressing the issue:
https://developer.ringcentral.com/support.html

answered on Mar 23, 2016 at 9:15am  
I have created a number under the extension I connect to with the API for sending SMS messages. The messages seem to be sent (I get response 200) but in testing sending to my cellphone I never get the messages. This worked in the sandbox but it isn't working in production.

answered on Jan 6, 2016 at 9:32pm  
No. There is no way that you would be able to send a text from another extension without authorizing as that extension(privacy issue)

answered on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:22pm  
Is there a way for an extension to be given permission to text from another extension's number? For instance we would like to send text's out to clients as if from an individual sales person, but without the sales people having to go through any sort of flow. (This would be automated, like emails).

Not seeing a clear cut way to do that without having all of my sales people having to go through an oauth workflow to give permission?

answered on Jul 27, 2015 at 2:12pm  
Great, thank you for all of the answers!

Can we receive messages and, if so, how can we receive messages via the API? For example, we would like to receive texts in and have our software pick those up. Maybe via a web hook or something similar? Any information is appreciated.

answered on Jul 27, 2015 at 12:32pm  
We will support up to 1000 characters in both inbound and outbound SMS by the end of Aug.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us