News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
User roles and permissions
Tags: permissions
Nov 5, 2016 at 12:04pm   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
Julio Toledo

RingCentral has introduced multiple user roles and permission levels beyond admin and non-admin. I am looking for an API method of interrogating the system to determine whether a particular user is *the* Super Admin or not.

Is there a way to discover this information via the API?

4 Answers
answered on Nov 7, 2016 at 7:30am  
Hey Anton,

You commented the following...
dedicated API which returns current authorization profile with a list of all granted user permissions
To which API resource are you referring please sir? I do not see any new API resource documented in the API Reference or API Explorer?

Are you referring to the Authentication getToken API resource sir? If yes, that makes sense for making determinations in regards to what features an application/integration presents to an agent/operator post-authentication, but it does not address the inquiry which I believe is being made by the developer initially.
I am looking for an API method of interrogating the system to determine whether a particular user is *the* Super Admin or not.
A service which provides context about one or more users would be a property of an Extension, would it not?

answered on Nov 7, 2016 at 1:17am  
"permissions" object inside extension info is deprecated now after introducing roles and permissions functionality. It may not reflect roles assignments properly and should not be used to build any logic on it.

In the majority of cases, if an app requires to identify if certain operation is allowed to logged in user it should call a dedicated API which returns current authorization profile with a list of all granted user permissions. It is very unlikely that app really need to know role assignments to determine user entitlements.

But in the case described above it is even not a matter of permission check. Sending SMS from company numbers is allowed for company operator user (yes, it is main System Admin by default but this setting can be easily changed by end user). Learn more about this feature here: https://devcommunity.ringcentral.com/ringcentraldev/topics/how-to-send-sms-from-the-main-company-num...

If there are any other scenarios where you believe you need to know if a user is "true original System Admin", let us know. I am pretty sure there is a better and more reliable way to achieve your goal.

answered on Nov 6, 2016 at 6:33pm  
Hi Benjamin,

My issue is a RingCentral account can can now have many Super Admins. Therefore the extension's "permissions" object returns 'true' for any number of users who have been assigned 'Super Admin' role.

Unfortunately certain API functions such as the ability to SMS using the main company number as caller ID can still only be performed by *the* Super Admin and no one else.

I am looking for a way to identify that one, *true*, original Super Admin from all the other possible Super Admins.

answered on Nov 6, 2016 at 10:02am  
While authenticated as an admin, you can call the Extension List resource to fetch a list of all extensions, or you can call the Extension by ID resource to get a particular Extension, both of these provide details about the extensions which contain a "permissions" object. If the user is an admin, the "admin.enabled" property will be "true".

Get Extension List: https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/
Get Extension by ID: https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/{{ID}}

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us